Poll: Would you like Master/Slave multiple tablets control option added to MobileSheets?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
YES
75.86%
22 75.86%
NO
24.14%
7 24.14%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bluetooth master/slave multiple tablets control
Despite my desinterest in BT syncing, wouldn't it be a simple solution to use the same main titles on the devices and the title formatting and the subtitles to distinguish them?
(01-15-2017, 03:08 PM)Zuberman Wrote: A WiFi hotspot would certainly let you connect Windows 10 devices to Android.

Wifi hotspot would completely kill already poor tablet battery life.

Now that LG and other makers are talking about putting Wifi in every appliance it is just asking for problems.

(01-15-2017, 01:08 PM)dallaskruse Wrote: The way my charts are setup is that each chart is named the song title + part name. i.e. "Stand By Me © - Drums" "Stand By Me © - Violin 1".

You are on a good path. Just get rid of " - Drums" and " - Violin 1", put the stickers on top of your tables and you are good to go.
[Image: Violin-Label-Stickers-B-Icon.png][Image: Bass-Drum-Choose-Stickers-B-Icon.png][Image: Bass-Guitar-Choose-Stickers-B-Icon.png]
(01-19-2017, 09:55 AM)otnt Wrote: Wifi hotspot would completely kill already poor tablet battery life.

Now that LG and other makers are talking about putting Wifi in every appliance it is just asking for problems.
Perhaps an external battery-pack would be in order?
The limited range of Bluetooth could be a problem, too...
Unless the performers are sitting in each-other's laps!  Big Grin
I could be wrong, it happened once before.
(01-23-2017, 03:04 AM)Steve B. Wrote: The limited range of Bluetooth could be a problem

Bluetooth introduced:
- support for Mesh Networks (allows you to connect a large number of Bluetooth devices over a wider area.)
- version 5 which has 4x range of BT 4.2
Welcome in modern era.

Not sure if you want to synchronise musicians/tablets in the same room or stage?
(01-04-2017, 04:06 AM)Zuberman Wrote: The only requirement is that the song title and file name match.  

I would indeed prefer to add have a different key next to song title and file name (e. g.  as song number). It would cause some bigger efforts to get (and keep) all libraries aligned. In fact this is currently the reason why we are not using this tool...
If it will help, I can change the song matching behavior to be as follows:

1) Look for an identical match. If one is found, load it.
2) If no match is found, find all song titles that contain the given title. If only one match is found load it.
3) If multiple matches are found, determine which one is the closest to the given title (in terms of the number of extra characters). If there is a clear winner, load it.
4) If multiple titles have the same number of extra characters, load the first one in the list.

Mike
Just for my understanding: filename would be ignored and matching would be on titel level only? (would be my preference)

Thanks for your help here, Mike!

Have a great weekend,
Marc
(03-25-2017, 04:37 PM)Zuberman Wrote: If it will help, I can change the song matching behavior to be as follows:

1) Look for an identical match. If one is found, load it.
2) If no match is found, find all song titles that contain the given title. If only one match is found load it.
3) If multiple matches are found, determine which one is the closest to the given title (in terms of the number of extra characters).  If there is a clear winner, load it.
4) If multiple titles have the same number of extra characters, load the first one in the list.

Mike

Complicated but it just might work Smile
I have many songs in notation with different keys or different real books (different chords). I wonder if this would work with them also. I presume putting its source in the filename might work.
(Clarification, this refers to many songs of the same title but different keys, chords or whatever).

I was thinking about being able to use a number as another option. Songs could have individual ID numbers (perhaps as metadata in a field).
Or within a filename or title in a specific format e.g. #35# so it can be filtered out from display. The same song (but different keys or lyrics etc.) all can be found by each slave by searching for the number sent by the master.
Would something like this work also?
(03-25-2017, 04:19 PM)febus Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 04:06 AM)Zuberman Wrote: The only requirement is that the song title and file name match.  

I would indeed prefer to add have a different key next to song title and file name (e. g.  as song number). It would cause some bigger efforts to get (and keep) all libraries aligned. In fact this is currently the reason why we are not using this tool...

What is your problem to rename and save files under a different keys?
Matching on just one field would make my life a lot easier, but if people really want me to support matching on a different field such as Custom/Custom2 (and making it configurable which field is used), I could certainly look into adding support for that.

febus - if multiple songs have the same exact title, then I will still fall back to checking for a match on file name instead. This would only apply if multiple matches are found in step #1 or step #4 of what I described in my previous post.
1 Master, 2 slaves
(for anyone interested)

I have tested a Surface Pro 4 as master with (old) 2 Android tablets as slaves connecting with wifi. No problems although one of the tablets would take a little longer than the other (even though they are the same model) to find the song, where mostly one tablet was slower than the other but sometimes the other was. However seek time was under 2 seconds in all cases which is very acceptable.
I tested some two page PDFs and page turning was very quick to occur (unlike the lag to find the song to load).

I have also tested using PED with my SP4 as master with a slave turning pages as it should.
(03-25-2017, 04:57 PM)bumblebee Wrote: I was thinking about being able to use a number as another option. Songs could have individual ID numbers (perhaps as metadata in a field).

This was my thought as well. Would be very helpful, especially if you have to get x band members aligned (and most of them are musicians ;-)... 
Song numbers in meta data what just be perfect and also make a search in file names, titles etc. unnecessary.
Have y'all considered using one of your unused tabs for this purpose or one of the custom fields?
'Settings>add unique id to filenames' could be part of the answer. However, I have no idea of what is being used as the unique identifier. I don't believe it's searchable at this time either.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Custom fields are fine as long as it can be used for the master/slave purpose...
My "issue" is as follows:

Band of 8; one song could look as follows:
drums: all about that bass - drums.pdf; song name "all about"
bass: all about that bas - bass.pdf; song name "all about that bass"
piano: email_all_about.pdf; song name "all about vocal version"
etc.
We have not followed any conventions when we added the ~80 songs x 8 musicians.

Idea is that everybody adds a songnumer #128 to a (custom?) field that can be used to identify the song when sending commands to slave devices. Makes sense?
Yeah. The unique identifier probably won't work then as each of the examples would have a different id. I don't have that problem and haven't tried the master/slave option so don't know if it works with the custom fields or strictly with names.
I just happened to think, the master may have a problem having x number of songs with the same number but, possibly, different names, plus the imported file name may also be different than the edited name.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12