• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Way for Scrolling PDFs
Hello. This is my first post to the MS forum, and I want to start off by saying that I'm really grateful that I have found a product that is both well written and undergoing continuous improvement. With the android app market the way it is, it's almost a shame that Zubersoft gets so little out of the deal.

I purchased MS for performing original jazz songs with background tracks. The songs are all completely notated using Notion, then printed to PDF. At first, I tried the standard 8.5x11 page size, but the scrolling didn't work well since it jumped to the 2nd page when I was two-thirds through page one. Perhaps there is a right way to do this, but my impression is that when it's time to scroll, if it's at the bottom of the page, it just goes on to the next.

My next attempt was to make the PDF's 8.5x5 (half page) with no scrolling, but without a Bluetooth foot controller, it's kinda hard to do this in a hands free fashion, which is really what I'm after. I suppose eventually, I'll end up getting one of those as they seem to be a de-facto add-on for those of us who use MS for performing.

My latest idea was to have my entire song fit on a super long PDF, something like 10" wide x 50" long, and locked in at four measures per system (see attached). This seems to work quite well, but I still need to get the spacing between the staves just right so the scrolling amount (assuming it's consistent) will advance the song one stave at a time.

Anyway, I'm very much open to any ideas y'all might have so I can identify the BEST solution, and print the right size PDF's for all my songs.

Thanks Everyone!
New Creation Music

Attached Files
.pdf   Sample Long PDF.pdf (Size: 191.87 KB / Downloads: 5)
I have a 13.3" tablet with a resolution of 800 x1280 (11.111 x 17.778 inches). I'm a graphic designer and have learned that the size of a screen pretty much has nothing to do with the size of a piece of paper. I design my own lead sheets on my computer that are exactly 800 pixels by 1280 pixels, so that when I view that lead sheet on the tablet screen, it fits perfectly. If your notation software can do custom page sizes, set it for the exact resolution of the tablet. Then the multiple pages should scroll properly with a foot pedal.
Chuwi 13.5 inch, Windows 10
99% of my stuff was originally on A4 Paper and this was directly scanned into PDF format. With a 13" tablet, this has worked well and cropping is very rarely required.

For multi-page charts, I use a cheap USB foot controller (three pedals, of which I currently use just two, for forward and back) that way you can hit the page change, hands free at whatever point suits you.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Graeme, since New Creations is designing his own lead sheets with the Notion software rather than scanning existing sheets, making his pages the exact size of the tablet screen will alleviate any possible mis-match problems. Not only that, but the PDFs generated will be need much less storage space than a scanned PDF. My one sheet PDF generated out of my graphic design software is about 60K, a scanned PDF is usually around 200K or more.
Chuwi 13.5 inch, Windows 10
I don't have a problem with scanned sheets, as they are optimised before import into MS.

Broadly speaking the original post was about the shortcomings of scrolling, more than page size. My experience has been that scrolling is only going to work for a limited number of users and page turn via foot or hand control is of far more use.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Yep, I think a foot pedal is essential. I guess its easy for me to spend your money, but I would bite the bullet and get one.

Graeme can give you some good advice to pick up an inexpensive one.

Incidentally, I did not have luck with bluetooth pedals, so I used one that is connected via USB, (billipro).
(12-31-2014, 03:49 AM)kohanmike Wrote: Graeme, since New Creations is designing his own lead sheets with the Notion software rather than scanning existing sheets, making his pages the exact size of the tablet screen will alleviate any possible mis-match problems. Not only that, but the PDFs generated will be need much less storage space than a scanned PDF. My one sheet PDF generated out of my graphic design software is about 60K, a scanned PDF is usually around 200K or more.

I just scanned a bunch of songs with my printer/scanner, they were mostly approximately 60-80 kb. I used the option to scan to pc instead of scan to pdf. The scan to pdf produced files in the hundreds of kb. I used the printers software but I imagine other software works also.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
jeffn1:

This is what I bought - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-Triple-A...1e88c670c4

You can also get single and double types. I bought the three pedal version, thinking I would find a use for the third one - so far, I haven't Smile .

Skip:

I scan directly into Adobe Acrobat and use this software to generally titivate the scan, where required. Although Acrobat can optimise/compress the files, I get better results using Systools PDF Toolbox - http://www.systoolsgroup.com/pdf-toolbox.html
Graeme

Some of my music here
If I got this, I would use one back, one forward, and one to the next document in a setlist. (But, I think I would prefer just to keep it simple with two pedals and switch between songs in a setlist via tapping the screen).

Jeff
(01-03-2015, 05:24 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: If I got this, I would use one back, one forward, and one to the next document in a setlist. (But, I think I would prefer just to keep it simple with two pedals and switch between songs in a setlist via tapping the screen).

That was my thinking, but in retrospect, I think yours is the better option.
Graeme

Some of my music here