• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
illegal characters in path during restore
#1
I used batch import on my tablet to add a number of files to my library. This part worked fine, as usual.

...but then I suffered a brain cramp and unintentionally deleted the source PDF files from my computer. Unfortunately, I'd also selected the option to delete source files from the tablet after the import.

This means that the I only way I can get these files back on my computer is to restore them from a MobileSheets backup. However, when I try that, two problems occur:

1) many error messages of the form "Error creating z:\xxx\Song Title\mp3_filename.mp3"

2) eventually the export crashes with this trace:
The extraction has failed due to the following: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
at [...]
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path)
at MobileSheetsCompanion.ExtractProgress.ProcessThread()

The mp3 problem is unimportant (to me, at least; I won't try to speak for anyone else), because I still have copies of those files. However, the second problem is serious. It's probably a side effect of the fact that the files were created on a Linux system (and transferred to Android, which is also Linux under the hood), but I'm trying to restore them on Windows XP (actually, inside a virtual machine running on my Linux system -- I don't have any computers running Windows natively).

I'd like to suggest that the extract process check for characters that Windows won't allow, and either just skip those files with a warning or (preferably!) remove or replace the problem characters during the extract.

Thanks,
- Steven
Reply
#2
I'll look into this Steven. I skip a fair number of characters currently, but I probably missed some. Thanks for the detailed write-up, I really appreciate it.

Mike
Reply
#3
(01-04-2013, 06:10 PM)Zuberman Wrote: I'll look into this Steven.

Thank you! I should mention that I found a workaround yesterday after posting this message. In particular I restored the backup on my tablet, with the side effect of moving the location of the database from internal storage to my SD card (which is where I should have put it in the first place :-). That allowed me to copy the files from the SD card back to my computer.

As it happens, two files weren't restored correctly (both songs with a question mark in the title), so I had to rescan those -- but that's trivial, compared to having to rescan the almost 100 files I'd unintentionally deleted, so I'm happy. I still filed a bug report, though (but 16 in your bugzilla), since I thought you'd like to see the details.

While I'm writing to you anyway, I'd like to make a feature request: Could the batch import procedure store and default to the last location that was used for the import? I scanned and imported another batch of files last night, and that was when I noticed that even though the "Copy Files TO:" location for my previous import was "Removable Storage", the new one defaulted to "SD Card" -- which on Samsung devices (at least, the only two I've used, namely the Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy Note 10.1) actually means *internal* storage. This is a subtle point, and one which I might easily have missed if I hadn't just done the restore to the external SD card the same day.

Thanks again for all your hard work on MobileSheets!

- Steven
Reply
#4
Hi,

I also got "illegal characters" storing a file when its name or path containing german vowel mutation (umlauts like ä öü ÄÖÜ ß ). But also the ' sign leads to that error. Companion crashes every time. May be a similar pain point Undecided ...

regards
Reply


Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  


Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)


  Theme © 2014 iAndrew  
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2021 MyBB Group.