• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Database aspects and economic storage
I've been reading the manual and pondering whether I am using the program optimally. I have no previous experience with databases, so I am happy to be corrected if I haven't got these details correct.

1. There are Set-Lists and Collections which can freely be used to list any song, irrespective of the meta-data fields (artist, album, genre).

2. If I want a pdf (that's what I use) to show up in two albums, say Scottish AND Irish, then I would need to create two songs, that both use the same pdf.

3. To do this, it is more economic of storage space not to have the program make a copy at the time of creating the song, because I would then end up with a duplicate pdf in the Mobile Sheets files folder.
Have I got this about right?

When it comes to deleting a song, sometimes the dialog recommends deleting the pdf, sometimes it doesn't. Is this based on whether the pdf is shared with some other song?

Recent songs.... I didn't think I had a use for this feature, but if it is a list of the 50 most recently accessed songs, then it could help me to create, after the event, a list of what I played during a session. I tend to choose material spontaneously as I go along, but if I get a repeat booking, I don't normally have a list of what I did last time. This would be useful. Of course, if I access a song then choose to skip it and do another, the "Recent" list is going to be wrong.

Any comments gratefully received,

Hugh, York UK
Hugh,

You are correct that currently, you will have to create two copies of your song. I'm going to fix this very soon though, so that you can apply any number of artists, albums, etc to a song. You are also right in saying that you should disable the copy options. This will save a lot of space on your tablet not having a lot of duplicates.

I'm adding a change for v3.9 that will ensure that, if you select delete files while deleting a song, that it doesn't delete a file used by multiple songs in the database. With v3.8, make sure that you don't delete a file if it's shared by multiple songs. The checkbox only shows up if the song's files are stored on the SD card or removable storage. It won't show up if the files are stored in internal storage.

Are you saying you want the ability to change the "Recent" list into a setlist? I can absolutely add this capability if it will help you.

Thanks,
Mike
Exporting the "recent" list as a Set List: that would be a very nice way of capturing an editable and useful record of what had been performed during a "Random Access" / spontaneous session. It's just an idea at this stage, but if it's easy to implement, and if you think others may find it useful, then please go ahead. Thanks,

Hugh

(01-06-2013, 05:59 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Hugh,

You are correct that currently, you will have to create two copies of your song. I'm going to fix this very soon though, so that you can apply any number of artists, albums, etc to a song. You are also right in saying that you should disable the copy options. This will save a lot of space on your tablet not having a lot of duplicates.

I'm adding a change for v3.9 that will ensure that, if you select delete files while deleting a song, that it doesn't delete a file used by multiple songs in the database. With v3.8, make sure that you don't delete a file if it's shared by multiple songs. The checkbox only shows up if the song's files are stored on the SD card or removable storage. It won't show up if the files are stored in internal storage.

Are you saying you want the ability to change the "Recent" list into a setlist? I can absolutely add this capability if it will help you.

Thanks,
Mike