• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
App lock-up when entering text annotations
#1
I am getting frequent app lock-ups (MobileSheets is not responding, Would you like to close it? Wait|Report|OK) and data loss when entering text annotation on pdf sheets. My annotations tend to be a dozen or so lines of text in a yellow box with a border. The first indication that something is going wrong is that the annotation stops updating with new text entered in the dialog box (it seems that this happens if the text extends off the RHS of the image).

The last time it happened I lost all response from the device (including the keyboard) and had to reboot the machine.

I now have a sheet with an annotation that cannot be selected or moved. Touching the screen #above# the annotation (but not on it) brings up the text editing dialog box for the annotation.

I am running the latest version of MobileSheets (4.0 from Google Play) on an Asus TF101.

This problem is making the app unusable.

I hope you can help.
Cheers,
Colin
Reply
#2
I've finally got a fix in place for this. When I was trying to reproduce this before, I never tried with a large number of lines of text. Once I did that, I was able to get the crash to occur. I really hope my change fixes the problem for you. I'm releasing v4.0.1 tonight with this, so you will have a chance to test it out soon.
Reply
#3
Unfortunately, I am still getting these crashes on 4.01. Now my annotations box is a blank yellow rectangle right across the image.

Hope you can reproduce it.

Thanks,
Colin
Reply
#4
Thanks for letting me know Colin. I'll see if I can get a lock-up to occur with v4.0.1, but I'm not sure if I will be able to reproduce it.
Reply
#5
I have done some more testing and found that the lock-up is pretty consistent if I put some blank lines in the annotation, e.g.

Type in:
123[Enter]
[Enter]
123[Enter]
[Enter]
123

It seems to be worse when I have the tablet docked in the keyboard and hence in landscape mode. In portrait mode with no keyboard I could repeat the above test text a few more times before it locked up.

Also, there does not appear to be any copy/paste functions in the text annotation dialog - would this be easy to enable?

Thanks,
Colin
Reply
#6
Colin,

I've followed your directions, and even after entering 50 lines with blanks and 1000's of characters, the tablet is still perfectly responsive with no errors. I have the exact same tablet as you running v4.0.1. Perhaps I need to get the PDF file you are using.

As for copy/paste, if you press and hold, then release on the text annotation, you will see a popup menu with copy/paste options. If you mean copy and paste for sections of text, the Android OS doesn't seem to like me using a floating window very much. I may have to redo the floating text window as a standard control that I hide/show in order to get this to work.

* EDIT

What virtual keyboard are you using with your ASUS? I'm just using the standard virtual keyboard that came with the tablet. Perhaps if you are using a third party virtual keyboard (such as Swype), it may be causing an issue.
Reply
#7
I am normally using the ASUS dock keyboard, but I was just able to reproduce the problem using the standard virtual pop-up keyboard too.

I am using the 'ASUS English (UK) Keyboard' - could that be related? I just tried using the US version and still got the lock-up. I have reproduced this on many pdf files - they are nearly all simple 1 page pdfs.

Tonight I have entered quite a few annotations using a simple '-' in any blank lines and did not get any lock-ups - so I have a workaround.

I am using 4.0.1 from Google Play.

I found the copy/paste option for the whole text block - that is good enough.

Cheers,
Colin
Reply
#8
Colin,

I finally see what you are talking about. I have been working only with development builds, which don't display this problem. When I produce a final build for release, and install that on my tablet, this problem happens immediately. The final build is obfuscated (protects a little against piracy), and optimized, but something is occurring during this process that messes up the code. I'm not sure yet what could possibly be going wrong, but this is a pretty serious bug. I also notice that the text input is about 5x slower on the release build than on my development build. I will continue to work on this and hopefully have a fix in place soon.

Thanks for your patience,
Mike
Reply
#9
Well, this bug was a huge pain to diagnose and fix, but after about 4-5 hours of work, I finally solved it. I'll include a fix with v4.0.2. Thanks again.
Reply
#10
Smile 
Thanks for all the effort, I am looking forward to the new version...

I have a couple more minor usability issues to report once this one is fixed.

Thanks,
Colin
Reply


Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  


Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)


  Theme © 2014 iAndrew  
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2021 MyBB Group.