• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Same tune; multiple keys?
Two thoughts
(I do not use the Companion app, so this might be much easier than described)

On computer
- unpack each PDF into separate PDF files
- for each song, merge the different transposed PDFs into a single PDF. When added to any Collection or setlist, you have them all no matter what instrument you want to play. If the song takes several pages, then make a bookmark so you can tap to get to whichever transposed key (instrument) you need from within that song file.
- name the merged PDF with the song's title
(If the PDFs match page-by-page with its equivalent transposing key, they should extract so each filename from each of the PDFs matches so it should be easy find each to merge (hoping!)

I am testing if this works for my own setup:
On computer
- unpack each PDF into separate PDF files for each page—into separate folders (one called Eb, another Bb etc.)
- merge multiple paged songs into one file (PDF).
- name each file with a song title. This takes a while but quicker than doing similar things within MS I had thought. I actually add the key it is in (kF or kFm) for searching.
- run a batch program on each folder to append ' Eb' (or whatever) to each filename (or do it manually in the step above)

Import the folder into MS
- set the Song to Use Filename as title (not Guess title)
- create (or adding to it in subsequent imports) a Collection for that instrument— Eb

The songs will list in the Songs index multiple times with Eb, Bb etc. after the song title (and its key)
Each Collection will only have the song for that instrument—sometimes quicker to find (and sometimes I only have one instrument with me)
Make Setlists or Band Collections with whichever key versions of the songs needed (for some songs you might always use just the one instrument)

When you search on title, you can add in the instrument
- dolphin Eb should get you (among others) On Green Dolphin Street Eb (instrument)
- dolphin kC will get it written in C (unrelated to an instrument)

I see Skip's post above which I have not tried, but originally I thought having the instrument and key in the title was so I could use just one search field for everything (less tapping and filtering) and did not require additional time in the Song editor to set this up for each song (in Captions as mentioned). But I am going to test out Skip's idea to see if it is better (thanks Skip!) I think it would work for a smaller number of songs rather than hundreds (hence using the computer to label).

You can add additional keys for the song also where there is no transpose instrument appended, just the key (kX or kXm) so lists with the other Songs (and is searchable).
(X is whatever key it is in; m for minor)

If you find a solution that works for you, if you have time to post back let us know.
Smile

----
There were other threads related to PDF import, using csv files that would populate songs' metadata etc. The forum has largely been cleaned up with MS Pro released, but have a search and there might be something related.

Messages In This Thread
Same tune; multiple keys? - by Saxist - 04-21-2015, 05:26 AM
RE: Same tune; multiple keys? - by GraemeJ - 04-21-2015, 05:52 AM
RE: Same tune; multiple keys? - by Skip - 04-21-2015, 06:39 AM
RE: Same tune; multiple keys? - by bumblebee - 04-21-2015, 08:08 AM
RE: Same tune; multiple keys? - by GraemeJ - 04-21-2015, 08:51 AM
RE: Same tune; multiple keys? - by Skip - 04-21-2015, 09:12 AM
RE: Same tune; multiple keys? - by GraemeJ - 04-21-2015, 01:30 PM
RE: Same tune; multiple keys? - by Skip - 04-21-2015, 11:29 PM
RE: Same tune; multiple keys? - by GraemeJ - 04-22-2015, 12:41 AM
RE: Same tune; multiple keys? - by Saxist - 04-22-2015, 04:40 AM
RE: Same tune; multiple keys? - by bumblebee - 04-22-2015, 05:46 AM