• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samsung Note Pro
I know there are several people here using this tablet and I have a question for them.

Today, for the first time, I tried to use a USB memory stick with my P900 - only to find that it wasn't recognised by the tablet. Pursuing this a little further, I found that it didn't see my trackball either! All the other tablets here (that's three more - all different makes) see both.

Is anyone else having the same problem with this model?
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(05-07-2015, 03:27 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: I know there are several people here using this tablet and I have a question for them.

Today, for the first time, I tried to use a USB memory stick with my P900 - only to find that it wasn't recognised by the tablet.  Pursuing this a little further, I found that it didn't see my trackball either!  All the other tablets here (that's three more - all different makes) see both.

Is anyone else having the same problem with this model?

Could it be related to whether it is set up for USB for mass storage versus other things?  I would google the issue.
Not exactly the same, but on my Samsung T900, USB memory is correctly recognised
Thanks for the quick response guys.

I already spent an age Googling this stuff, but got nowhere.

I think the T900 is pretty much the same animal, but without the stylus, so that's interesting to know.

Something strange going on here, methinks.
Graeme

Some of my music here
My P900 recognizes an attached usb stick (one of those dual micro and standard usb connections. The P900 is rooted and running hyperdrive ROM which works really well.
(05-07-2015, 04:02 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: Thanks for the quick response guys.

I already spent an age Googling this stuff, but got nowhere.

I think the T900 is pretty much the same animal, but without the stylus, so that's interesting to know.

Something strange going on here, methinks.

Yep, maybe its defective.
Don't know about the Pro, but I had exactly the same problems with my Note2. It recognized a USB stick (or mouse, or whatever) exactly once after a reboot. After that -- nothing. Until the next reboot.

It was my main reason to install a custom rom (Omni, KitKat 4.4.4), which effectively cured this problem.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
I'm not into custom ROMs at this stage of the game - the tablet is simply too new to muck around with it.

At the worst, it will just have to go back to the supplier to sort out, but I'd rather find a solution that isn't going to take weeks.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Well, after a lot more hunting, I think I now know the answer to my own question.

It seems that newer versions of Android have mass storage disabled. I know not why, although there are plenty of conspiracy theories knocking about Smile .

Seems to me, what with the new limitations on the use of external SD cards (I posted another thread about that) and now the disablement of USB mass storage facilities, Google are shooting themselves n the foot.

I'm beginning to understand why so many users root their devices to overcome all these daft restrictions.
Graeme

Some of my music here
According to your posting #2 I drew the conclusion that USB was not working at all -- not just the mass storage.
If USB is working correctly, i.e. you can connect a keyboard or a mouse or a trackball at all times, then it does indeed look like a mass storage problem.
Does the tablet require a special Samsung connector, or an OTG cable?
There are some apps in the store that could be helpful with OTG problems and the mounting of mass storage.

I fully agree on the Google/Stupid part Sad .

I always root my Android devices, since I want to install a firewall to keep apps from unwanted sharing of my precious data.
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
(05-07-2015, 11:25 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: Well, after a lot more hunting, I think I now know the answer to my own question.

It seems that newer versions of Android have mass storage disabled.  I know not why, although there are plenty of conspiracy theories knocking about Smile .

Seems to me, what with the new limitations on the use of external SD cards (I posted another thread about that) and now the disablement of USB mass storage facilities, Google are shooting themselves n the foot.  

I'm beginning to understand why so many users root their devices to overcome all these daft restrictions.

Graeme, this is interesting:
http://www.talkandroid.com/247536-xiaomi...ts-phones/
(05-07-2015, 04:40 PM)bumblebee Wrote: this is interesting:
http://www.talkandroid.com/247536-xiaomi...ts-phones/

They can say the same about your choice of mobile operator, ISP, cables, charger, and so on. Choose an inferior one and your user experience will suffer.

I think it's better to treat your customers as responsible persons. For example, I recently bought a new camera and the manual included a detailed explanation of what cards to use, and why.

The bottom line is that I find the conspiracy stories more convincing.

Also, when everything breaks, I still have my SD-card. It contains a.o. my TitaniumBackup. I can put it in a new phone or tablet, restore, and I'm ready to rock.
Johan
Mine needs an OTG cable to hook peripheral devices to it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Probably want to have different tier phones and charge more for ones with more memory (like Apple).
One of the conspiracy stories did strike a chord with me. Looking at devices that have more internal memory and comparing them to those with less, you are paying a *lot* more for that additional memory than you would pay for a card of the same size - more profit for the manufacturer.

Although this tablet is new, I'm almost at the point where I will root it and hang the consequences. The hardware seems to be fine and if it comes to it, I'll argue my case with the manufacturer over any warranty issues (not that I would expect to win, of course).

I'm open to suggestions, links, etc. for suitable alternatives for my Samsung SM P900.
Graeme

Some of my music here