• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glass?
While MobileSheets is a perfect program to manage and display music for practice and performance, it is not paper sheet music. Typical tablet displays are much too small to get a good view on a single page (portrait) or double pages (landscape).

One of the other threads is discussing large tablets (21", 23") but for a long while I have been wondering whether it would be possible to use a Google Glass (or similar device) for music sheet viewing. Has anyone here ever tried such a thing?
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
I was excited about the same idea 2 years ago when Google revealed Glass. Possibility to leave 15kg of sheet music gig books AND 6kg of music stands at home. Gigging with Glass only would be cool BUT:
1. The resolution is so low that there is no way to display more then a single strip of the sheet music. The resolution of any head mounted display currently available is not suitable for the sheet music.
2. Glass battery life is not great.

I would be very happy with Sony's Digital Paper aka DPT-S1 which has EInk 13.3" screen which is same as A4 sized paper.
BUT DPT-S1 has no Bluetooth (one cannot turn pages wirelessly) and is not based on android.
Agreed, you do need a decent size tablet, but that's only to be expected when you consider the whole idea is to replace A4 sheets of paper.

Quite honestly, I think this is a truly daft idea and certainly not a cost effective one. Google Glass was some $1,500 - you can buy a huge tablet and get a substantial amount of change for that sort of dosh. That's not even considering its technical shortcomings. It will be many years before such a product will become available on the consumer market and at the sort of price the consumer wants to pay.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here