• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet Connection required
Hi,

I don't believe this app needs an internet connection but today when I tried using the app I get an error message saying that an internet connection is needed to use this app and it shuts down. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Ho'okani
You shouldn't need an internet connection except to pass a couple of license checks. Where did you purchase the application from? When you get the error message, does it give you the option to send an email, or is the error message not shown from within MobileSheets? If you purchased from Amazon, make sure you didn't uninstall the app store. You have to keep that installed to use MobileSheets.

Mike
I got it from Amazon. Didn't uninstall the app store. there is no option to send an email, it just tells me i need an internet connection and I press 'OK' and the app closes. Once I connected to the internet then the app ran ok. Hopefully it's just a one time thing.

Thanks,
Ho'okani
(01-31-2013, 05:37 AM)Hookani Wrote: I got it from Amazon. Didn't uninstall the app store. there is no option to send an email, it just tells me i need an internet connection and I press 'OK' and the app closes. Once I connected to the internet then the app ran ok. Hopefully it's just a one time thing.

Thanks,
Ho'okani

Happens now to me too. I'll go get connected and resolve it for now.
Not a very secure feeling.
The DRM that Amazon inserts into the app requires that you have internet connectivity every so often to validate your purchase. I did not realize it worked like this at first, but that is unfortunately how they handle licensing. The Google Play and SlideME versions do not force you to have internet connectivity past the first couple license checks, but Amazon does. I wish I could switch your purchase over to another app store, but Amazon gives developers no control over the sales (I don't have the power to offer refunds).

Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Mike
(05-19-2014, 01:04 PM)Zuberman Wrote: The DRM that Amazon inserts into the app requires that you have internet connectivity every so often to validate your purchase.....I don't have the power to offer refunds).

Of course, they are not really interested in 'validating your purchase' - they already have your money and couldn't give a toss about checking if the purchaser is still using it. What they are really worried about is someone else copying the paid-for version and using it for free. Considering how little it costs, one has to wonder at the mind set that thinks this is worth the time and effort Huh .

Considering the intended use of this app, one has to worry about being in the middle of a gig, with no local internet access, when Amazon decide they want to check it out?

I think this sort of thing should really be up to the developer and they ought to give him some sort of input as to what and when. I appreciate there is little Mike can do with the current release, perhaps he could withhold the next release from Amazon?
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I can turn off the DRM model in Amazon completely, but then I have absolutely no protection from pirating whatsoever. People could just post the installer on the internet and I would have no way to stop it. Google at least provides a licensing server, as does SlideME. I just wish Amazon had provided a similar model instead of injecting their own DRM model in the software.

Mike
Hmmm.. I can see your problem here.

I don't know what sort of deal you have with Amazon, but would in be possible to simply not use them for the next release? Between them, Google Play and SlideME seem to cover a pretty big section of the market and users who had purchased through Amazon would soon find out where to go.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Everyone should just complain to Amazon that their stupid DRM is causing a defect in a great program.
(05-22-2014, 03:05 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: Everyone should just complain to Amazon that their stupid DRM is causing a defect in a great program.

,,,,, and you think Amazon would take any notice?
Graeme

Some of my music here
Their answer would probably be that I don't have to use their DRM, and that if I wanted to, I could set up my own licensing server with my own way of controlling it. The problem is that that would be expensive, and I would have to do a lot of work to even figure out how to do it correctly - work that would be better spent improving MobileSheets. I could take MobileSheets off Amazon, but this would only serve to punish users who already purchased on Amazon, as they would never get any future updates. There are also some devices like the Kindle Fire devices that (to my knowledge) require that you get apps off the Amazon App store. If anyone has any expertise in this area (namely setting up a licensing server and everything entailed) please let me know, otherwise I'm not sure what the right answer is.

Mike
Sorry Mike, you seem to be between the proverbial rock and a hard place with this.

I take your point about future upgradability for Amazon purchasers but, quite honestly, at $8.99 MS is not expensive and I, for one, although I might be a little miffed, would gladly pay again to remove all this internet access nonsense. Seems to me it's a small price to pay to get rid of the possibility of the app falling over during a performance. After all, plenty of people here have already said they would gladly pay for upgrades and this could be considered as such.

Maybe this is something that could be considered when v5 is released?
Graeme

Some of my music here