• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any fix for loss of the virtual keyboard on a Galaxy Note Pro with an Air-turn Ped
(07-18-2015, 07:48 AM)Skip Wrote: That's strange, on my note pro with a pageflip cicada, bluetooth connected, I can go into edit mode, activate the screen keyboard [using the cap A icon], then tap that return icon and the keyboard goes away. A tap on the editing dropdown brings it back. Maybe Airturn related? I haven't upgraded to 5.02.

*DO NOT UPGRADE TO 5.0.2*
It will kill any possibility of using any bluetooth device!
Check out the warning message on the Airturn site =
http://www.airturn.com/support
Android Users: Please Do NOT ugrade to Android OS 5.0.2 until further notice.

I of course trusted Samsung and did do the upgrade and lost all possibilites of using the Pageflip and Airturn which I both own.
Before I upgraded the text tool worked fine in Mobilesheets.
And after a night of downloading the firmware, unzipping it adding Odin and flashing then rebooting, swiping all date etc I finally retrograded to Kitkat.
There is maybe where the problem resides. My version is 4.4.2 and maybe not exactly the same as yours.
If you could check out which Android system you're using that would be great.

If you want to follow all the news about the 5.0.2 bluetooth issues here's a thread :
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung...0-2-a.html

So in any case I'm just going to wait until Android addresses and fixes the Lollipop (5.0.2) issue and probably at that point all will work again.
(07-18-2015, 05:43 PM)marais Wrote: And after a night of downloading the firmware, unzipping it adding Odin and flashing then rebooting, swiping all date etc I finally retrograded to Kitkat.

This would have been an excellent opportunity to drop the proprietary Android and install CM or something similar.

Quote:So in any case I'm just going to wait until Android addresses and fixes the Lollipop (5.0.2) issue and

And then wait until your vendor releases that fixed version. If they do at all.
My experiences are not that good, I sincerely hope yours will be better.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(07-18-2015, 06:08 PM)sciurius Wrote:
(07-18-2015, 05:43 PM)marais Wrote: And after a night of downloading the firmware, unzipping it adding Odin and flashing then rebooting, swiping all date etc I finally retrograded to Kitkat.

This would have been an excellent opportunity to drop the proprietary Android and install CM or something similar.

Quote:So in any case I'm just going to wait until Android addresses and fixes the Lollipop (5.0.2) issue and

And then wait until your vendor releases that fixed version. If they do at all.
My experiences are not that good, I sincerely hope yours will be better.

Just tried to install CyanogenMod. It won't work on the Samsung 12.2 Galaxy Pro SMP-900. At the end of the installation the message "device not supported". Other (generic) software that works with bluetooth pedals and googledrive? (Not forgetting Mobilesheets of course). Suggestions?
It would seem that the problem with the Lollipop update on Samsung devices is that it is devoid of drivers, other than for Samsung hardware, e.g. a Logitech keyboard won't work, but a Samsung one will.

Something like this has all the indication of Samsung moving towards a proprietary system (like Apple) and I suspect the 'upgrades' that users are asking for might never happen - if you want a hardware keyboard you'll end up having to spring for a Samsung one. This isn't a business model I like, but there's little we can do about it, if that is the case.

Simple solution - DON'T UPGRADE A WORKING SYSTEM!

To my mind, this is so obvious - especially where we are talking about something that is a tool of your trade - but there will always be someone who wants the 'latest and greatest' and will install first and worry about it afterwards.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(07-18-2015, 07:49 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: It would seem that the problem with the Lollipop update on Samsung devices is that it is devoid of drivers, other than for Samsung hardware, e.g. a Logitech keyboard won't work, but a Samsung one will.  

Something like this has all the indication of Samsung moving towards a proprietary system (like Apple) and I suspect the 'upgrades' that users are asking for might never happen - if you want a hardware keyboard you'll end up having to spring for a Samsung one.   This isn't a business model I like, but there's little we can do about it, if that is the case.

Simple solution - DON'T UPGRADE A WORKING SYSTEM!

To my mind, this is so obvious - especially where we are talking about something that is a tool of your trade - but there will always be someone who wants the 'latest and greatest' and will install first and worry about it afterwards.

That's a shame (if true) and not surprising. I hope in that case any of you in the US take a class action suit. When Apple deliberately changed all their plugs for the Iphone 5 and therefore rendered all things like stereo systems and other obsolete, nothing could be done.
But I serious doubt that Samsung will provide users with a bluetooth pedal for concert musicians, not an important part of the market.
Marais;
My p900 is oem, android 4.4.2, kernal version 3.4.39-2582108, build number KOT49H.P900UEU1BNK1.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(07-18-2015, 11:10 PM)Skip Wrote: Marais;
My p900 is oem, android 4.4.2, kernal version 3.4.39-2582108, build number KOT49H.P900UEU1BNK1.

Mine 4.4.2 Kernel 3.39-5345435,build KOT49H.P900KXUOG2

Close but no cigar Huh
A shame as I'd love to be able to toggle my keyboard on and off... Angry
There's a download that may work here.
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=file-...17c019e0fe

I searched for my build number and found several tutorials using odin.
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(07-19-2015, 11:19 AM)Skip Wrote: There's a download that may work here.
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=file-...17c019e0fe

I searched for my build number and found several tutorials using odin.

It's a boot image as you know. Should I reflash with Odin?
If not how should I install it?
I'm familiar as you know with Odin and flashing the firmware, but if you have the tutorial handy it would help.
Thanks for your patience.
This is where I started from.
http://androidjinn.com/install-p900ueu1b...-p900.html
Then here,
https://www.google.com/search?client=ubu...8&oe=utf-8

I haven't done any of this but it may help, if its correct.
Good luck.
Samsung S7+, Android 12
CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR!

I installed the tweaked firmware.
Now running 4.4.2 Kernel 3.4.39-2582108
dpi@SWDD6023 #1

Get those nifty google bubbles at the beginning, that I like!
*BUT*
No text tool still.
Only workaround is to turn off the Cidia Plageflip to make the virtual keyboard appear.

It seems my particular tablet is especially resilient to this.
It's no big deal of course, it's just frustrating as a geek that I can't control the little beast Angry
Maybe the 'disable physical keyboard' option is a 4.4.4 feature?

But there's another point -- this issue will pop up for ages and cause lots of troubles.

Can't we make a firm statement to the pedal makers that they provide a MOUSE compatibility mode?

Mike, you have good contacts with AirTurn, what is their opinion on a problem like this?
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
(07-21-2015, 12:16 AM)sciurius Wrote: Maybe the 'disable physical keyboard' option is a 4.4.4 feature?

But there's another point -- this issue will pop up for ages and cause lots of troubles.

Can't we make a firm statement to the pedal makers that they provide a MOUSE compatibility mode?

Mike, you have good contacts with AirTurn, what is their opinion on a problem like this?

Somebody mentioned this on this forum or the Android forum. It seems plausible to me :
That is that Lollipop was released without compatible drivers ON PURPOSE.
I wouldn't be surprised, remember Apple totally disregarded any manufacturer of speakers, external devices and tons of other things much more important than our bluetooth pedals to change their plugs after Iphone 4.
This will assure that for instance people will only buy Samsung compatible bluetooth keyboards.
So even if Airturn and Pageflip update the way they connect to the Android system (and remember many still use Ipad where this is NOT and issue and imagine Windows also?) they can be sure that the next "Gingerbread" or "Mars Bar" system will also not connect.

It seems logical, that's why every single person that has called Samsung gets the runaround and for instance Samsung passes the buck towards Logitech.

Best thing flash back to Kitkat and maybe if these people have any pity and maybe some pressure they'll install the necessary drivers.

Speaking of which maybe some super geek here can figure how to install the necessary drivers in Lollipop? Or make a tweaked version?
(07-21-2015, 01:24 AM)marais Wrote: It seems plausible to me :
That is that Lollipop was released without compatible drivers ON PURPOSE.
I wouldn't be surprised, remember Apple totally disregarded any manufacturer of speakers, external devices and tons of other things much more important than our bluetooth pedals to change their plugs after Iphone 4.

For the time being I do not think this is the case. When Apple changed plugs they had their devices ready and on sale. Currently, there are many keyboard-like devices that have no Samsung equivalent (and probably will never have).

Also, Android is 'open' and you can install your own ROM if you want - something you cannot do with an iDevice.

Moreover, I must say that I haven't seen a single reason to upgrade beyond 4.4.4. It is stable and does everything I currently need. It eats out of my hand, instead of the other way around  Smile .

Still looking forward to a comment from AirTurn, PageFlip, ...
Johan
Sorry in advance for the cross posting and furthermore cross forum posting!
Logitech (which of course is neither a Pageflip or Airturn but nonetheless a bluetooth device that was disabled by the current Lollipop update) has contacted Samsung here's what Samsung says :

https://forums.logitech.com/t5/Keyboards...831/page/4

Options

‎07-20-2015 10:51 AM
Hello, 

Thank you all for reporting this issue to us.

We would like to inform you that Samsung has identified the cause of the problem on the Tab PRO and the fact that our keyboard stopped working with it on the latest OS update. They have urgently updated the binary file and the OS will be updated soon. They will get back to us the OS release schedule.

We will post a new alert once we have the details of the fixed OS version.

Thank you for your patience.