• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
can collections filters persist into editing setlists
I'm not sure if this is a request, bug or what, but here's the situation + request:

When I have a collection filter enabled, and then go to edit or create a new setlist, MSP displays all the songs in the library.  In other words, the collection filter is not applied to the songs from the library which are displayed in the edit or new setlist selection screen.  I would like to see if that filter CAN be carried over into the songs displayed in the edit screen.

Why- I use the MSP library for several different collections or musical environments.  For example, I play trombone in a dixieland band, and then separately, play mandolin in Irish traditional music sessions.  In both cases setlists are often "called" or announced on-the-fly.  It would be great if the collection filter could carry over / persist into setlist editing.  I realize that I can select the filters again once I'm in the setlist edit screen, but that's often a problematic delay at the speed at which people are moving around me; and it seems to be an unnecessarily repetitive step.

Right now, I'm using a 2nd tablet to keep these collections apart.  I'm also considering keeping backup file's of the jazz database and the Irish database in the tablet's storage, and using Restore to have MSP look at the one that I'm doing that night.  But it would be great if there was a way to do this all in one database.

As always, I will say again that MSP is certainly among the most valuable tech tools I have.
Thanks for considering.
I'd like to hear more people chime in, but if people want me to carry over the library filter settings into the group editor screen, I can certainly do that.
Thank you Mike.

Anyone else ...
It would feel logical to me if the collection part of the filter were taken over. Not so sure about the other elements of the filter though . . .
I'm not quite sure why you would need this?

If you are in a Collection (and not in Performance mode) you can go to 'edit', select all the charts you need from that Collection and then create a new setlist from within the Collection page. Does this not do exactly what you are asking for?
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Graeme, thanks for the pointer, I wasn't aware of that "create setlist" feature.
Having tried it tho, it is different and doesn't address the situation or difficulty I'm trying to get at. Here's a specific description of what I'm trying to do:
1. I'd like to merger MobileSheets databases with ~500 jazz songs for trombone, ~200 praise songs for church (trombone, mandolin, voice), ~500 Irish folk tunes, ~200 Christmas songs.
2. In an Irish folk music session, somebody will say, "let's play Merry Blacksmith, Maid Behind the Bar, Silver Spear." They take a minute to remind themselves of these tunes that they've memorized + that I have not. During that minute, I want to be able to create a setlist with those 3 tunes in it. When we play, we run the tunes together with no break between them.

The "create setlist from collection" feature makes a setlist out of everything that's in the collection, which doesn't address this situation.
My thought is that if the collection filter carries over / forward to filter the songs displayed when creating and editing a setlist, that this will speed things up to where it will work to merge the Irish and Jazz databases into one.

Thanks for the help + thoughts.
(07-20-2015, 09:49 PM)chrisss Wrote: The "create setlist from collection" feature makes a setlist out of everything that's in the collection, which doesn't address this situation.

It does, you just haven't found it yet.

Try this (you need Performance Mode disabled);

Open a Collection

Long press on a title - this opens up a page where you can select the tiles you want as a setlist

Tick each chart you need by short pressing it

Using dropdown menu (three vertical dots at top right hand corner) select "Create setlist from songs"

Name your new setlist and press done

New setlist, with selected charts, will now be under the Setlists tab.
Graeme

Some of my music here
A use case example that I run into regularly: I have collections for every band I play with. I use setlists to plan gigs (the program for the whole evening as one setlist). When planning a new gig I usually copy a similar setlist and modify it. To do this planning I switch between the setlist editor and the songs tab filtered by collections. I import new scores on the songs tab, add them to the setlist and so on.
Not a big problem to activate the filter again when entering the setlist editor, but definitely more convenient if it would persist.
The work flow proposed by Graeme is an interesting option (thanks for explaining it), but I usually have songs tab and collections tab sorted alfabetically whereas the setlist is sorted manually. That's why starting with a previous setlist is my way to go.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(07-20-2015, 11:37 PM)Graeme Wrote: It does, you just haven't found it yet.

Try this (you need Performance Mode disabled); ... etc
Graeme, thanks for that, it gets closer to the goal.
One function that doesn't seem to be there with this approach is the ability to change the order of songs in the new setlist as I build it, which I could do in the "create setlist" screen carrying the collection filter.  Being able to do that (change order) without having to navigate from the collection screen to the edit setlist screen, also saves valuable time.

I don't mean to make a huge deal of this and if it's a significant project to code it, I'll continue to work with these workarounds.  It just seemed logical to me at least that with a filter is selected, that it would persist across the database, screens, user steps, until it's changed or de-selected.  If it's a ton of work, I understand.  Thanks very much for pointing out these other approaches.

@itsme- Some of my setlists / gig situations are like you described.  These Irish sessions are unique in that the "sets" of 3-5 tunes are called on the spot and people start playing very quickly, as many people have memorized 100's / 1000's of tunes.  Unfortunately I'm way behind in memorizing so I'm looking for a way to build the called set real fast, on the spot. As I mentioned, right now I have the Irish tunes in a separate database on a different tablet.  I'm just looking for a way to merge databases, if that can work, and still be able to build the sets pretty awfully quickly.

Thanks for all the pointers.
(07-21-2015, 09:14 AM)chrisss Wrote:
(07-20-2015, 11:37 PM)Graeme Wrote: It does, you just haven't found it yet.

Try this (you need Performance Mode disabled); ... etc
Graeme, thanks for that, it gets closer to the goal.
One function that doesn't seem to be there with this approach is the ability to change the order of songs in the new setlist as I build it

No, that's true. As you were talking about a very limited number of charts, at any one time, I didn't think that was much of an issue.
Graeme

Some of my music here
(07-20-2015, 11:37 PM)GraemeJ Wrote:
(07-20-2015, 09:49 PM)chrisss Wrote: The "create setlist from collection" feature makes a setlist out of everything that's in the collection, which doesn't address this situation.

It does, you just haven't found it yet.

Try this (you need Performance Mode disabled);

Open a Collection

Long press on a title - this opens up a page where you can select the tiles you want as a setlist

Tick each chart you need by short pressing it

Using dropdown menu (three vertical dots at top right hand corner) select "Create setlist from songs"

Name your new setlist and press done

New setlist, with selected charts, will now be under the Setlists tab.

Sorry to disrupt, by that exactly responds to one of my needs:  creating a set list from a collection.  I will try that for now on if I am creating a set list from my jazz collection or from my classic rock collection.

Thanks, Greame (sorry for the hijack).