• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I Use Collection As Starting Point For Setlist
I might be able to do this already, but. . . . 

Like a lot of us, my full songlist is getting pretty large.

So, if I want to create a setlist based on just some music in a particular collection (jazz standards, rock, etc.), can I do this?

It looks like I can convert a full collection into a setlist (go into collection>Edit>and you it looks like you have the option of renaming the collection as a new setlist).

But, what I just wanted to create a setlist and only choose among songs in a collection (to make it easier/quicker to find the songs I want).

This is not a big deal, but it might make it easier/quicker to create setlists (and maybe I can already do this).

(Low priority request)

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure if I've fully understood your issue. Let me tell you my first thought.
Why don't you use the onboard filter features?
- You create a new setlist (setlist/new) and you name it.
- In the next screen you choose the desired collection filter in the header line.
- Then you can either choose your songs from the right column by double ckick or drag and drop.
- If that's not good enough you can add an additional filter (small downwards arrow on the top right side) to further limit your songlist.

Besides you have the search function on the top which you can limit to certain attributes.

Isn't that what you need?

Kind regards,

Nachthorn
Another approach would be to turn the whole Collection into a Setlist and then edit it to remove those charts you don't want - might be quicker that way.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(08-09-2015, 02:47 AM)Nachthorn Wrote: Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure if I've fully understood your issue. Let me tell you my first thought.
Why don't you use the onboard filter features?
- You create a new setlist (setlist/new) and you name it.
- In the next screen you choose the desired collection filter in the header line.
- Then you can either choose your songs from the right column by double ckick or drag and drop.
- If that's not good enough you can add an additional filter (small downwards arrow on the top right side) to further limit your songlist.

Besides you have the search function on the top which you can limit to certain attributes.

Isn't that what you need?

Kind regards,

Nachthorn
That's exactly how I do it. I have a collection for every band / line-up I play with. Selecting from the band's collection is the obvious and natural way to build a new setlist. Sometimes creating a copy of an existing setlist and editing small changes into it is faster. My setlists usually follow the same naming scheme: yyyy-mm-dd_BandName_LocationVenueOrTheLike
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(08-09-2015, 07:47 PM)itsme Wrote: I have a collection for every band / line-up I play with.

A while ago I suggested a feature for MSpro to support database switching, so you can have distinct databases for each musical project. In my case the musical content of each band, choir, etc is different (i.e., no overlapping songs) so having distinct databases would be a great help to keep things separated.

I seem to recall that Mike liked the idea, but I don't know whether he actually already picked it up.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(08-10-2015, 04:17 PM)sciurius Wrote:
(08-09-2015, 07:47 PM)itsme Wrote: I have a collection for every band / line-up I play with.

A while ago I suggested a feature for MSpro to support database switching, so you can have distinct databases for each musical project. In my case the musical content of each band, choir, etc is different (i.e., no overlapping songs) so having distinct databases would be a great help to keep things separated.

I seem to recall that Mike liked the idea, but I don't know whether he actually already picked it up.
Graeme, I guess the downside is my collections are very large.  So I don't want to delete over a 100 songs to pair it down to a setlist.

I will look into filter.

Johan, I think you can do what you want.  Just create a collection for each project.
(08-10-2015, 09:35 PM)jeffn1 Wrote: Johan, I think you can do what you want.  Just create a collection for each project.

That is what I have now, but I find it suboptimal. When I change global settings while working with one collection, this may (will, has done) affect the rendering of the songs from other collections. File name and song names may clash, and so on.
Also, I want to have collections within a musical project, e.g. songs that are ready for production, songs that are still being developed, songs that are 'just an idea', and so on.

So I do hope the separate database feature is still on the list.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
I have collections set up for each horn part in our band (trumpet 1, trumpet 2, tenor, alto, bari). I'm about to build a setlist for a show tomorrow, and I think I'm wanting to do what you asked about. I want to bring up Trumpet 1 collection, and build a setlist from 20 songs in that collection. Then, go bring up another collection, and repeat until done. I want to end up with 5 setlists (one for each instrument). Can I not do this?
I think I found another solution to this issue that I don't think has been mentioned. I am an orchestra member and I load all songs that have been passed out, but we do not keep all of them in our folders, only the ones we will be performing for the upcoming season and we have different arrangements of the same songs so I need to select a song based on the current arranger. That said to avoid loading the wrong arrangement in my setlist for the next performance I created a "Collection" of just the songs needed for the season:
 - then touch and hold one song till you get a check box
 - check all of the songs
 - select edit from the top menu then go to "Custom Group"
 - create a group name
 - once this is done create or select the "Setlist"
 - load and select edit, then touch the arrow next to the microphone symbol for additional filters
 - find and select the "Custom Group", then "OK", this will load only the songs in that Group

Hope this helps someone!
I think MSP needs another group “arranger“ (especially for categorizing bigband and orchestra music). So far there is only one custom group one can adapt to this (and I use it already for lyricist data). But Mike has more custom groups already on his to do list.