• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Building a list without charts
#1
Spent some time this evening hashing through a setlist for a new band.  I thought I would start by just making a Collection, then import it into a Setlist for later manipulation. 

It was only then I realised that, unless there is already a chart on file, you can't add a title*.  I ended up with a Collection that only contained some 60% of the numbers we were thinking of using.  The other 40% exist only as notes on paper.

This exercise made me think that it would be useful if the user could enter a simple line of text, without it being tied to an existing file. That way, there is a record of what is required and the appropriate chart may be found at a later date.

*I realise that I could use a Placeholder for this, but that's not very direct.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Reply
#2
I agree. Early on I sked for the capability of allowing entries with only audio files. Today I had a similar experience entering titles for new tunes to learn. I had to put in an unnecessary temp doc to be able to save.

Mike needs to realize that many of us use this great software in ways that were not originally part of the concept.

gman
(09-21-2015, 09:59 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: Spent some time this evening hashing through a setlist for a new band.  I thought I would start by just making a Collection, then import it into a Setlist for later manipulation. 

It was only then I realised that, unless there is already a chart on file, you can't add a title*.  I ended up with a Collection that only contained some 60% of the numbers we were thinking of using.  The other 40% exist only as notes on paper.

This exercise made me think that it would be useful if the user could enter a simple line of text, without it being tied to an existing file. That way, there is a record of what is required and the appropriate chart may be found at a later date.

*I realise that I could use a Placeholder for this, but that's not very direct.
Reply
#3
The intended way in MSP is creating a song in the library and adding an empty page. The "Title" in the song's meta data is what you requested as "a simple line of text".
That shows a completely empty white page when stepping through the setlist.
This is why I prefer creating "dummy files" for songs that I play from memory. My "dummy files" are usually ChordPro files containing just the song title and the key: {t:Any Song} [C]
When I import such a dummy file as a song, "Title" is automatically taken from the {t: tag. Then I add the meta data I want and categorize into collections (a specific collection for every band I play with) and setlists (a specific setlist per gig).
That's flexible, fast and convenient.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 2004
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de


Reply
#4
(09-21-2015, 08:21 PM)itsme Wrote: The intended way in MSP is creating a song in the library and adding an empty page. The "Title" in the song's meta data is what you requested as "a simple line of text"......
That's flexible, fast and convenient.

Flexible, maybe.  Fast, I beg to differ. 

OK, if you're just sitting at home and building a list of some description, but not when there are six people all throwing ideas around and you're trying to keep up and not miss anything out Wink .

Actually, in some ways, pen and paper might well be the best way to cope with that situation.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Reply
#5
Maintaining something in a database requires filling the database.
The workflow I described is completely on the tablet and takes less than a minute.
During rehearsals I also use pen and paper every now and then and edit my notes into MSP at home.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 2004
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de


Reply
#6
I'd love a little more information on why the placeholder is not direct. If you were inside the collection or setlist on the library screen, then tapped the three dots at the top right, then tapped "Add Placeholder", all you would need to do is enter a name and you have your empty song.

gman - I have not forgotten about your request. It's planned for one of the upcoming updates. I'm going to create a blank song the same way a placeholder works when importing audio.

Mike
Reply
#7
(09-21-2015, 10:06 PM)itsme Wrote: Maintaining something in a database requires filling the database.
The workflow I described is completely on the tablet and takes less than a minute.
During rehearsals I also use pen and paper every now and then and edit my notes into MSP at home.



If the user only wants a list of titles for future reference why not allow that??? I prefer to keep my future projects stored in MS. Allow the user to decide how to use the database. My list of tunes to learn may or may not get populated in the future. Make MS as fast and efficient as possible. Occasionally I work with singers that have backing tracks. Allowing import of audio would be handy. For these I would not necessarily need text.
Reply
#8
I just played with this using the placeholder and it does exactly what is being asked for in collections and setlists. It also looks like you can add an audio file to the dummy file without having a pdf/jpg.

Collections>make new collection [tentative list]>select new collection>placeholder [overflow] >enter tentative new song>long press new song>edit, metadata/audio. The new list entries start/repeat at '>placeholder [overflow] >enter tentative new song'. which seems about as quick as possible. The editing comes later.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Win 10, ver 19.--
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Asus TF700T, os = CROMi-kk_R1 KitKat-4.4.4r2-CM11-US DEODEX, Based on Android 4.4.4
Nook HD+ OEM
Reply
#9
(09-22-2015, 02:12 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I'd love a little more information on why the placeholder is not direct. If you were inside the collection or setlist on the library screen, then tapped the three dots at the top right, then tapped "Add Placeholder",  all you would need to do is enter a name and you have your empty song.

gman - I have not forgotten about your request. It's planned for one of the upcoming updates. I'm going to create a blank song the same way a placeholder works when importing audio.

Mike

All my charts have the title on top of the page, so I have "Always Show The Title Bar" OFF to save screen space, it would just duplicate information that is already there. This is why placeholders would be completely empty in my case. Furthermore my ChordPro dummies store small infos for some songs, that's why I do it that way. I'm really happy with that workflow.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 2004
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de


Reply
#10
(09-22-2015, 02:12 AM)Zuberman Wrote: If you were inside the collection or setlist on the library screen, then tapped the three dots at the top right, then tapped "Add Placeholder",  all you would need to do is enter a name and you have your empty song.

Mike - you are absolutely correct.  My mistake was, having done that, I was then placing text on the placeholder page - which obviously takes more time.

In retrospect, that was absolutely unnecessary and I withdraw my original comment (and feature request).
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Reply


Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  


Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)


  Theme © 2014 iAndrew  
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2020 MyBB Group.