• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Improved MIDI support
Hi, I would like an improved MIDI editor so that I can attach a text file of MIDI commands to a song. That way I could develop my ASCII MIDI string offline and quickly paste them into Mobile Sheets Pro when I want to add MIDI capability to a new tune. The current step-by-step system is very cumbersome. An option to display the MIDI commands for a song as a popup that I could edit directly would be great. 
Even better, add it to the Companion so I could do the work on my Windows laptop, then download the results to my Android tablet. Thanks!
You can edit MIDI commands in the companion, but there isn't a popup to edit just the MIDI commands (it will just load the song editor dialog). I can certainly look into more quick editing options in the future so that you can quickly edit MIDI commands without having to go into the song editor. As far as your other request, other users have asked for the ability to populate metadata through CSV files. I see no reason why that couldn't also be used to populate MIDI commands. So when I work on that feature, I will ensure it works to populate MIDI in a quick fashion. The biggest challenge is in uniquely identifying songs, as there is no requirement that song titles are unique. So in the situation where there is a conflict, I may have to ask the user to select the correct song to update.

Mike
(12-23-2022, 06:48 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: You can edit MIDI commands in the companion, but there isn't a popup to edit just the MIDI commands (it will just load the song editor dialog). I can certainly look into more quick editing options in the future so that you can quickly edit MIDI commands without having to go into the song editor. As far as your other request, other users have asked for the ability to populate metadata through CSV files. I see no reason why that couldn't also be used to populate MIDI commands. So when I work on that feature, I will ensure it works to populate MIDI in a quick fashion. The biggest challenge is in uniquely identifying songs, as there is no requirement that song titles are unique. So in the situation where there is a conflict, I may have to ask the user to select the correct song to update.

Mike

Hi Mike, are there any plans to improve the MIDI editor? I have over 3000 songs in my list and I need to be able transfer the settings for my drum machine and synth from one song to another.  Even being to cut and paste all the MIDI commands from one song to another would be a great time savings. Then I'd just have to change the tempo and synth voice rather than have to set up everything from scratch each time. Thanks!
Hi Mike, any update on this? Thanks!
I haven't had time to focus on it unfortunately - just too many things on the backlog. It's on my list when I start working on the ability to create templates/favorites for MIDI commands to make them easier to copy between different songs, which will come at some point after the next major update. I know that's not the answer you want to hear - there are only so many things I can get implemented as a single developer while still providing timely customer support.

Mike
(10-09-2023, 05:30 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I haven't had time to focus on it unfortunately - just too many things on the backlog. It's on my list when I start working on the ability to create templates/favorites for MIDI commands to make them easier to copy between different songs, which will come at some point after the next major update. I know that's not the answer you want to hear - there are only so many things I can get implemented as a single developer while still providing timely customer support.

Mike

I understand - thanks for keeping it on the list. :-)
Any idea as to schedule for that?
I'm usually pretty bad with the estimates, but the next major update is something I would really like to get finished and released before the end of next month.

Mike
(10-10-2023, 04:55 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I'm usually pretty bad with the estimates, but the next major update is something I would really like to get finished and released before the end of next month.

Mike

OK, great, looking forward to it. Thanks for all you do, Mike!
Hi Mike, any update on this? Thanks!
If you've been keeping tabs on the forum, other issues came up recently that have consumed all my time. While most of those have now been resolved, I still have some work to do to resolve rendering issues on Windows-based ARM devices (I had to swap out the entire rendering framework which required modifying every piece of code over the whole codebase that did any custom rendering) and finishing the promised features for chord pro files. I can then start working on adding options to save MIDI commands as favorites to allow them to be used in multiple songs (this is probably easier than trying to implement a copy/paste type model). I also am trying to rewrite the companion app using avalonia to ensure it can work across platforms, so I wanted to wait for that to happen before making any additional changes/improvements to the companion app (otherwise I'm just creating more code that has to be ported).

I know it's tough to have to wait so long for changes you want - I appreciate your patience.

Mike
Ok, thanks for keeping it on your to-do list. Anything like that would help. Unfortunately my tablet died so I lost all of the midi conmands I'd painstakingly entered... ☹️
I think I'll wait for this feature before I move to this app. Thanks for really actively supporting your product. That means a lot.