• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
slow Bluetooth pedal page turns with Toshiba Excite 13
I checked through all the changes in the last month, and nothing stood out as being definitely the cause for the pedal delays. There have been a lot of changes under the hood though, so it may be a combination of things. I'll just have to check with everyone after the update to see how my fix helps.

There is no way of downloading older versions, unfortunately. I could go through my source control and find the old versions probably though, if this is something you are interested in trying. Send me an email at mike@zubersoft.com if so, and we can coordinate this.
(04-07-2013, 04:39 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I checked through all the changes in the last month, and nothing stood out as being definitely the cause for the pedal delays. There have been a lot of changes under the hood though, so it may be a combination of things. I'll just have to check with everyone after the update to see how my fix helps.

There is no way of downloading older versions, unfortunately. I could go through my source control and find the old versions probably though, if this is something you are interested in trying. Send me an email at mike@zubersoft.com if so, and we can coordinate this.

Sent you an email. Thanks!
(04-07-2013, 04:39 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I checked through all the changes in the last month, and nothing stood out as being definitely the cause for the pedal delays.

The part I can't understand is that when the delays occur, the new page is clearly being drawn in stages, with annotations the first part to appear. I could understand if somehow the pedal presses aren't being recognized quickly enough, but once the press event has been received by your code, why would the redraw speed be any different than when the page is turned by tapping the screen?

For what it's worth I can't corroborate the idea that the delay started in version 4.0.8 -- I was using that version on the Galaxy Note 10.1, and page turns were just fine; it wasn't until moving to the Excite 13, still at MobileSheets 4.0.8, that I started having problems. The only significant software difference for me is the Android version (4.1.x on the the Galaxy Note, 4.0.y on the Excite; I could look up the values of x and y if that would help).

- Steven
androidxen has helped test v4.0.9 and has confirmed that everything is fixed. I think everything is going to be fine once I release the update.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Mike
I use 2 Toshiba Exite 13 that I keep synced together by using dropbox and folder sync. (I also synced one 7 and one 10 as well.

Page turns with pedal works well but just a bit slow.

Here is how to be able to use virtual keaybord at the same time than bluetooth pedal.

In MS option, Uncheck disable blue tooth pedal while viewing library.

Now if you click on the search field, you'll see on the bottom right corner a little keyboard sign.
Clic on it and look at the top, you'll see an option to use the physical keaybord.
Turn it off.
Then both the pedal and virtual keaybord work at the same time.
Voila !
(04-08-2013, 07:18 AM)studiod Wrote: Here is how to be able to use virtual keaybord at the same time than bluetooth pedal.
[...]

Thank you!! This works beautifully. Smile

I'd suggest that these instructions should be added to the MobileSheets FAQ, because I'm certain I'm not the only one who cares about this.

- Steven
I just installed 4.0.9 and I'm happy to report that Bluetooth pageturns are back to being virtually instantaneous. The fix works. :-) Thank you!

- Steven
You're very welcome. I'm just happy I was able to figure out what was going on based on everyone's input.
Also fixed for me, looking forward to using it again! Smile Many thanks!

Chris
I just ordered the Excite 13 inch for use with sheet music (I have been using a laptop with Chartraxx and billipro page usb turner).

I think it will come with OS 4.0.

I will probably get a bluetooth page turner becuase the Excite does nto have a regular USB port it it will be unweidly to get an adapter to us with the Bill Pro (I think, let me know if you disagree).

I did a search for how toupdated the O.S. It seemed to say you had to root the device in order to updated the operating system.

Is that true? Is it easy to update?

Thanks for your help. (I plan on getting Mobile Sheet and probably EZPDF for use on the Excite 13).

Jeff
(06-18-2013, 11:22 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: I just ordered the Excite 13 inch for use with sheet music (I have been using a laptop with Chartraxx and billipro page usb turner).

I will probably get a bluetooth page turner becuase the Excite does nto have a regular USB port it it will be unweidly to get an adapter to us with the Bill Pro (I think, let me know if you disagree).

I did a search for how toupdated the O.S. It seemed to say you had to root the device in order to updated the operating system.

Thanks for your help. (I plan on getting Mobile Sheet and probably EZPDF for use on the Excite 13).

Jeff

I've been using an Excite 13 with MobileSheets since March, and the combination is working quite well for me. I hope you'll have a similar experience. :-)

Mine came with Android 4.0, which is the version I'm still using. Apparently Toshiba has updated the Excite 10 to 4.1, but for some reason there's no official update for the 13" version. I haven't bothered trying to root the tablet, so I can't comment on how easy that would be to do.

I recommend the AirTurn BT-105 bluetooth pedal, which is what I'm using. It's more expensive than the competition, and the controls (a single button overloaded for power on/off, mode switch and pairing) are annoying, but it works very, very well. The slow page turns referred to earlier in this thread were totally and completely solved in version 4.10 of MobileSheets. For comparison I've also tried the Pageflip Cicada (much better controls than the BT-105, but I can't make it react as consistently; your mileage may vary on this) and the Bilipro USB pedal, which I used with a USB adapter when trying to troubleshoot the slow page turns problem -- it works well, but I agree that the adapter is cumbersome, so I stopped using it once the bluetooth issue was fixed.
(06-18-2013, 01:04 PM)smw Wrote:
(06-18-2013, 11:22 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: I just ordered the Excite 13 inch for use with sheet music (I have been using a laptop with Chartraxx and billipro page usb turner).

Jeff

I've been using an Excite 13 with MobileSheets since March, and the combination is working quite well for me. I hope you'll have a similar experience. :-)

Mine came with Android 4.0, which is the version I'm still using. Apparently Toshiba has updated the Excite 10 to 4.1, but for some reason there's no official update for the 13" version. I haven't bothered trying to root the tablet, so I can't comment on how easy that would be to do.

I recommend the AirTurn BT-105 bluetooth pedal, which is what I'm using. It's more expensive than the competition, and the controls (a single button overloaded for power on/off, mode switch and pairing) are annoying, but it works very, very well. The slow page turns referred to earlier in this thread were totally and completely solved in version 4.10 of MobileSheets. For comparison I've also tried the Pageflip Cicada (much better controls than the BT-105, but I can't make it react as consistently; your mileage may vary on this) and the Bilipro USB pedal, which I used with a USB adapter when trying to troubleshoot the slow page turns problem -- it works well, but I agree that the adapter is cumbersome, so I stopped using it once the bluetooth issue was fixed.

Thanks to much for the reply. Okay, that is grea to know the the newest version of moblile sheet eliminates the slow page turn issue with the OS version that comes with Excite 13 (it says 4.0 on the Amazon page).

I had been leaning to get the Pageflip Cicada, so I appreciate your input. I do read that the blue tooth goes off after 5 minutes, so maybe that is what is causing you problem.

Do you know if (since the update) anyone else has the same problem.with the Cicada?

Does it seem pretty much concensus that the AirTurn BT-105 bluetooth pedal works better with Excite (or others) tablets ?
(06-18-2013, 04:39 PM)jeffn1 Wrote: I do read that the blue tooth [on the Pageflip Cicada] goes off after 5 minutes, so maybe that is what is causing you problem.

That's part of the problem -- sometimes I need to press the pedal twice, other times it reacts after only one press, and the inconsistency certainly doesn't help. However, there's also the fact that the pedal moves through a larger arc than on the AirTurn, and I seem to have difficulty figuring out exactly where the trigger point is; this is the part where it may work better for you than it does for me. There are people who like the Cicada a lot, so clearly this isn't a universal issue.

(06-18-2013, 04:39 PM)jeffn1 Wrote: Do you know if (since the update) anyone else has the same problem.with the Cicada?

If you mean the problem with slow page turns, I'm pretty sure that was a general issue for all bluetooth pedals. In version 4.08 of MobileSheets I had that problem with both pedals, and I don't have it with either one now, so I'd be surprised if anyone else did.

The problems I'm having with the Cicada are more a matter of personal preference.

(06-18-2013, 04:39 PM)jeffn1 Wrote: Does it seem pretty much concensus that the AirTurn BT-105 bluetooth pedal works better with Excite (or others) tablets ?

If you do a general web search, I think you'll find people arguing both sides of that question. :-)

Here are a couple of web sites which do a head-to-head comparison:

http://performingarts.uncg.edu/patech/?p=199
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumK5hYyPTw

These should give you a good idea of the tradeoffs involved between the two models.
I have been problems losing buetooth pedal and getting the virtual keyboard to show. Studiod, what did you mean when you said "now if you click on the search field"? What search field? How to get to that?

(04-08-2013, 07:18 AM)studiod Wrote: I use 2 Toshiba Exite 13 that I keep synced together by using dropbox and folder sync. (I also synced one 7 and one 10 as well.

Page turns with pedal works well but just a bit slow.

Here is how to be able to use virtual keaybord at the same time than bluetooth pedal.

In MS option, Uncheck disable blue tooth pedal while viewing library.

Now if you click on the search field, you'll see on the bottom right corner a little keyboard sign.
Clic on it and look at the top, you'll see an option to use the physical keaybord.
Turn it off.
Then both the pedal and virtual keaybord work at the same time.
Voila !
He's just referring to any text field that you want to write in, not any particular 'search field'.