• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newbie with problems uploading
So I thought things were going along pretty well with getting everything uploaded from Dropbox and putting my files in "collections", then noticed that when I clicked on the import from Dropbox - it displayed only a partial list of what is in Dropbox.   Why is that?  I spent a great deal of time getting my folders in Dropbox all arranged in "collections" so it would be easier when uploading to my collections in MS, but now MS doesn't see what is in those dropbox folders.  In some cases it shows NO files at all!  

So, since it wasn't recognizing my dropbox files, I then tried (from the Companion) to select files from my computer - seemed to work but now when I click to open a file in MS, it is a black screen with very small print that says File/storage/extSdCard/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilsheetspro/files/ "name of file"/ does not exist

I cannot get ONE FILE to open!  What have I done?

When I first installed MS, I chose the "manage files myself" option. (probably shouldn't have, because I have no idea what I'm doing) but I proceeded to merrily upload files and view them, thinking this is just great --  until all my files became un-viewable.   I tried switching to the "let MS manage my files" option, no change.

Other things I've tried:
I don't remember specifying to put my uploaded files on the external SD card, and I didn't want them on it, so I deleted them, thinking that was what the problem was, but then wondered if MS put the files on the SD card, without my knowledge.  Either way,   No change, still the same black screen/file does not exist message

Also, I tried "clearing" all files from MS, and it took a very long time for it to delete the files, but then..... the files were all still there!   Weird.    But still  won't open  Huh

I'm afraid I've really messed it up, so now what?

Should I uninstall and reinstall?  Help!
here's something I found: the only files MSP will upload from dropbox are pdf and jpg -- if it is a .doc or .docx or anything else, it does not show up in the list of items to select for uploading to MSP.
Is there a way I can get MSP to upload .doc's? thanks
And what would you expect MSPro to do with a .doc file?
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(01-08-2016, 07:01 PM)sciurius Wrote: And what would you expect MSPro to do with a .doc file?

faeriegrove:  This the real point - why would you expect MSP to display this type of file?  Basically, it is designed to show PDF, JPG and Chordpro (which are essentially text files).  There is no reason to use the Word file format.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(01-08-2016, 08:19 PM)GraemeJ Wrote:
(01-08-2016, 07:01 PM)sciurius Wrote: And what would you expect MSPro to do with a .doc file?

faeriegrove:  This the real point - why would you expect MSP to display this type of file?  Basically, it is designed to show PDF, JPG and Chordpro (which are essentially text files).  There is no reason to use the Word file format.

to me a .doc and pdf are essentially the same - text files to view  (if I change the extension, they still look the same)
I don't understand why it can't show a .doc, the same as a pdf?   

most ALL of my sheet music files are .doc or docx. 
I suppose I could manually convert all my .docs to pdfs - but that would take days....
I haven't tried uploading sound files yet, but mine are in .mp3 or .m4a format. Will that work?
I have been skimming through the MSP manual and not finding answers to some of my questions, so posting them here.
Thanks, all, for your help!
(01-09-2016, 01:25 AM)faeriegrove Wrote: to me a .doc and pdf are essentially the same - text files to view

With the same reasoning you can say that a photo of a text page is the same as a text file. On screen they look the same...

Quote:I don't understand why it can't show a .doc, the same as a pdf?

Because the way a PDF should be shown is carefully defined and there are libraries that do this for you.

The way a DOCX file should be shown is defined by an extremely complex standard that ony Microsoft Word can handle. And sometimes even MSWord cannot.

Quote:most ALL of my sheet music files are .doc or docx. 

I'd be interested to know how... Sheet music is basic an image format, so you have images in DOCX files?

Can you make one of your sheet music files available to us?
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
I don't know about m3a, but mp3 will work fine.
Johan
(01-09-2016, 02:23 AM)sciurius Wrote:
(01-09-2016, 01:25 AM)faeriegrove Wrote: to me a .doc and pdf are essentially the same - text files to view

With the same reasoning you can say that a photo of a text page is the same as a text file. On screen they look the same...

Quote:I don't understand why it can't show a .doc, the same as a pdf?

Because the way a PDF should be shown is carefully defined and there are libraries that do this for you.

The way a DOCX file should be shown is defined by an extremely complex standard that ony Microsoft Word can handle. And sometimes even MSWord cannot.

Quote:most ALL of my sheet music files are .doc or docx. 

I'd be interested to know how... Sheet music is basic an image format, so you have images in DOCX files?

Can you make one of your sheet music files available to us?

I'm having trouble knowing how to make a post and add an attachment -- so bear with me.    I've clicked on Add Attachement, but don't see where it will put that attachment.    I should explain that how I learn new songs: is by going to a website such ultimate-guitar or cowboylyrics or other lyric website, and I copy and paste those lyrics/chords into a .doc    That is why most all my music is in .doc format.      That is the only way I know how to do that.    Sheet music I've "downloaded" from a website are the ones  in the .pdf format.   Can I just change the file extension (on my 500 pages of docs) to a pdf, and it will work?

Attached Files
.doc   Cold Frosty, Greasy Coat, Kitchen Girl.doc (Size: 23 KB / Downloads: 7)
.doc   SONG SET for Solar Energy Fair.doc (Size: 24.5 KB / Downloads: 2)
the first attachment is an example of chord charts I make, as save as a .doc
second attachment is a songset that I would like to upload in MSP to use for a future songset

I would like to be able to upload my chord charts and be able to edit/annotate them in MSP
As far as I know, MS does not handle doc files. I think there is a good reason, that doc files are generally opened by a Microsoft Word program.

I think you need to convert your word documents to pdf (or other file compatible with MS).

I often have to convert doc files to pdf all the time. You should be able to do this within Microsoft Word (at least later versions of Miscrsoft Word) by saving the document as a pdf.

Good luck! (There are always some complications learning a new pew program. Mobilesheets is a great program, you just probably need some more time with it).

Jeff
in dropbox, I tried changing the file extension to .pdf - still not uploading to MSP!
Maybe have to go back to the original .doc file, change to .pdf, then re-upload to dropbox, for it to work. Will try that
(01-09-2016, 03:39 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: As far as I know, MS does not handle doc files.  I think there is a good reason, that doc files are generally opened by a Microsoft Word program.

I think you need to convert your word documents to pdf (or other file compatible with MS).

I often have to convert doc files to pdf all the time.  You should be able to do this within Microsoft Word (at least later versions of Miscrsoft Word) by saving the document as a pdf.

Good luck!  (There are always some complications learning a new pew program.  Mobilesheets is a great program, you just probably need some more time with it).

Jeff

thank you Jeff, I will try that.  Really excited to use this program, it's gonna make my life so much easier, once I get it figured out.
You obviously have little understanding of the way these different files are structured, so perhaps a little research might help.

Merely changing a file extension does not change the structure of a file and will make it inaccessible to the program it was designed for.

One thing you could try is to open your DOC file and resave it as a TXT file, but this sould well upset the formatting.  I've never tried to import a TXT file into MSP (and I can't try it just now as my tabets are elsewhere) but MSP will handle Chordpro files and they are, essentially, text files. 

Personally, I think a better way would be to convert your existing doc files to PDF.  There are many ways to do this and if you don't have the right software, then use an online service such as https://online2pdf.com/convert-docx-to-pdf
Graeme

Some of my music here
As far as your setlist is concerned, get the original files into MSP, by whatever means, and then build your setlist within the application. This will provide you with far more flexibility than an unalterable list of songs.

Incidentally, you have probably confused us by referring to your files as 'music'. They are not music at all, that's staves with bars lines and various dots, representing notes. All you have are files with lyrics and chords as text. You are probably a good candidate for getting your files into Chordpro format (which MSP does know about).
Graeme

Some of my music here