• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newbie with problems uploading
in dropbox, tried to "rename" files with .pdf extension. that did not work. could not open file. also, those "renamed" files would not upload to MSP.
So, instead of renaming, I have to open each .doc file, and "save as" pdf, before uploading to dropbox. was then able to successfully upload to MSP. YAY! Now, I have to do that for about 500 documents!
(01-09-2016, 04:04 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: As far as your setlist is concerned, get the original files into MSP, by whatever means, and then build your setlist within the application.  This will provide you with far more flexibility than an unalterable list of songs.

Incidentally, you have probably confused us by referring to your files as 'music'.  They are not music at all, that's staves with bars lines and various dots, representing notes.  All you have are files with lyrics and chords as text.  You are probably a good candidate for getting your files into Chordpro format (which MSP does know about).

yes, I see how I confused you..... sorry.  Mostly, my files are my own created chord charts/sheets of lyrics w/ chords, not actual scores.   The scores I have (downloaded from websites) are in pdf.

thanks for all the tips and help, really appreciate your help!
(01-09-2016, 03:58 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: You obviously have little understanding of the way these different files are structured, so perhaps a little research might help.

Merely changing a file extension does not change the structure of a file and will make it inaccessible to the program it was designed for.

One thing you could try is to open your DOC file and resave it as a TXT file, but this sould well upset the formatting.  I've never tried to import a TXT file into MSP (and I can't try it just now as my tabets are elsewhere) but MSP will handle Chordpro files and they are, essentially, text files. 

Personally, I think a better way would be to convert your existing doc files to PDF.  There are many ways to do this and if you don't have the right software, then use an online service such as https://online2pdf.com/convert-docx-to-pdf
haha, you are right about that!   I don't really know the diff between .doc and .pdf as they view exactly the same to me!
Glad to know there is a program to convert my .docs to .pdf!!!  
thank you, thank you!   There is hope for me, yet!
another question:

real life situation: I am at jam session, where someone is saying the chords as we are playing..... can I create a blank file in MSP, where I can write in those chords/make a chort chart on the fly to save for later, rather than writing it down on a piece of paper?
(01-09-2016, 04:48 AM)faeriegrove Wrote: another question:  

real life situation:  I am at jam session, where someone is saying the chords as we are playing..... can I create a blank file in MSP, where I can write in those chords/make a chort chart on the fly to save for later, rather than writing it down on a piece of paper?

Yes, you can do that.  I have never done it, but I can offer one way to do it (there are probably better ways).

Convert a blank word document to pdf and save it in Mobilesheets as (for example) "blank".

Then, if you want to "write" on it (annotate it), pull it up in MS and use the annotations to write what you want (either typing or you can try using a stylus).

Then save it with a name to remember and pull up later (and probably clean up and correct).
Thanks for posting the attachments. Now it's getting much clearer what you have and what you want.

The chord charts, as you call them, are just text documents containing chords. I assume there is a font problem with the docs, since the chords do not line up, something I would expect from a chord chart. But that's not important now.
What you want are chord charts in the style of PlayTab and iRealPro.
Currently, there is no support for this in MSPro. See also this thread.

You can export (convert) the DOCX files to PDF but you'll lose the ability to transpose. Well, you cannot transpose your DOCX files either. If you want to be able to transpose the chords, you need write ChordPro files. This takes a little getting used to, but pays itself back quickly.
Alternatively, you can write PlayTab documents, and you can still transpose the chords while producing the PDFs.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(01-09-2016, 05:25 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: Convert a blank word document to pdf and save it in Mobilesheets as (for example) "blank".

You can create empty song pages directly from MSPro.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(01-09-2016, 04:04 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: As far as your setlist is concerned, get the original files into MSP, by whatever means, and then build your setlist within the application.  This will provide you with far more flexibility than an unalterable list of songs.

Incidentally, you have probably confused us by referring to your files as 'music'.  They are not music at all, that's staves with bars lines and various dots, representing notes.  All you have are files with lyrics and chords as text.  You are probably a good candidate for getting your files into Chordpro format (which MSP does know about).

not familiar with how to get my files into  Chordpro or that format, but eager to learn.

huge learning curve, going from notebooks of chicken scratches to one sleek tablet...... my oh my, it will be so great when I can get everything transferred to the tablet.
Thanks for your help!
(01-09-2016, 05:53 AM)sciurius Wrote: Thanks for posting the attachments. Now it's getting much clearer what you have and what you want.

The chord charts, as you call them, are just text documents containing chords. I assume there is a font problem with the docs, since the chords do not line up, something I would expect from a chord chart. But that's not important now.
What you want are chord charts in the style of PlayTab and iRealPro.
Currently, there is no support for this in MSPro. See also this thread.

You can export (convert) the DOCX files to PDF but you'll lose the ability to transpose. Well, you cannot transpose your DOCX files either. If you want to be able to transpose the chords, you need write ChordPro files. This takes a little getting used to, but pays itself back quickly.
Alternatively, you can write PlayTab documents, and you can still transpose the chords while producing the PDFs.

yes, being able to transpose would be helpful, so I will check into the Chordpro format.   
thank you so much for your time responding
(01-09-2016, 05:55 AM)sciurius Wrote:
(01-09-2016, 05:25 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: Convert a blank word document to pdf and save it in Mobilesheets as (for example) "blank".

Cool -- I will use this feature, for sure.
Thanks all!
A fast and easy way: use the camera of your tablet or phone and take a foto of your colleagues sheet.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

(01-09-2016, 07:26 AM)itsme Wrote: A fast and easy way: use the camera of your tablet or phone and take a foto of your colleagues sheet.

Oh, of course, that is brilliant.
Thanks, now I'll have to learn how to take a photo (haven't tried that yet)  
I'm such a newbie.....
(01-09-2016, 05:55 AM)sciurius Wrote:

awesome, as I would expect it to!
(01-08-2016, 07:01 PM)sciurius Wrote: And what would you expect MSPro to do with a .doc file?

um.....display it, same as a pdf?
(01-09-2016, 03:58 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: You obviously have little understanding of the way these different files are structured, so perhaps a little research might help.

Merely changing a file extension does not change the structure of a file and will make it inaccessible to the program it was designed for.

One thing you could try is to open your DOC file and resave it as a TXT file, but this sould well upset the formatting.  I've never tried to import a TXT file into MSP (and I can't try it just now as my tabets are elsewhere) but MSP will handle Chordpro files and they are, essentially, text files. 

Personally, I think a better way would be to convert your existing doc files to PDF.  There are many ways to do this and if you don't have the right software, then use an online service such as https://online2pdf.com/convert-docx-to-pdf

thanks for the tips