• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
article sort strangeness
I have "Ignore Articles While Sorting" checked in the library display settings, with the following list of articles to ignore:  "A, An, The, le, la, les, Le, La, Les" (yes, some of the songs in my library have French titles).

This has worked as I expect pretty much ever since this feature was introduced, up to but not including tonight.  Tonight, one of my collections looks as follows:

Quote:[... stuff from earlier in the alphabet ...]

S
[titles starting with S, mostly omitted to save space]
Slow Poke
Suite from the Nutcracker

TE
The Teddy Bears' Picnic

CH
The Christmas Song

SO
The Sound of Music

TO
Tony Bennett Unplugged
Train Ride
Two Chorales

W
We Three Kings

What I'd expect to see is

Quote:[... stuff from earlier in the alphabet ...]

S
[titles starting with S, mostly omitted to save space]
Slow Poke
The Sound of Music
Suite from the Nutcracker

T
The Teddy Bears' Picnic
Tony Bennett Unplugged
Train Ride
Two Chorales

W
We Three Kings

...with "The Christmas Song" much earlier in the list, with other songs filed under C.

I can't think of anything I might have changed to trigger this, but there might be something I'm overlooking.

In any case, it would be nice to have the expected behaviour back. :-)
That definitely sounds like a bug. I'll try to reproduce the error by copying what you've listed above.

Mike
(01-14-2016, 03:34 PM)Zuberman Wrote: That definitely sounds like a bug. I'll try to reproduce the error by copying what you've listed above.

Mike

I have an update:  I just finished adding several new songs to that collection.  After doing so, one of the new songs was missing; this turned out to be my fault, for not noticing that it has the same filename and title as an existing song which isn't part of that collection (and isn't supposed to be).

...but before I realized that, I went into the collections editor.  There I found a recurrence of an old bug which had been solved a long time ago, but which seems to have come back:  when article sort is in effect, deleting a song from a collection sometimes deletes the wrong song (i.e., the song I selected to be removed was still present in the collection after the deletion occurred, but the song just above it was deleted instead).  Since there's no way to back out of a collection change, this is kind of nasty. :-(

Meanwhile, after I left the editor, the collection was sorted correctly again!  I don't pretend to understand this. Undecided

[ update:  I just found the thread in which the collections editor problem was originally reported:  http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...81#pid3181 ]
That bug was originally for MobileSheets, so I think the problem this time around is probably different. Let me ask you this - was the sorting in the collections editor incorrect like it was on the library screen (with S, TE, CH, SO, TO, etc)? If so, all bets are off in regards to the song list order and actions taken on songs in the list. In fact, that kind of problem can result in songs not even being displayed in the list and other oddities. I will try to get to the bottom of this ASAP.

Thanks,
Mike
(01-15-2016, 08:19 AM)Zuberman Wrote:  Let me ask you this - was the sorting in the collections editor incorrect like it was on the library screen (with S, TE, CH, SO, TO, etc)?

No, within the collections editor things looked normal.

I know the original bug occurred in the older code base for the original MobileSheets, but the collections editor part of the problem matches the original symptoms exactly; since there was a clear link to the article sort then, it seems likely to be related now even though the code is different.
I can't seem to reproduce the sorting issue. It's possible I just don't have all the same settings set that you do. Any chance you can make a small backup that demonstrates this problem? I'm going to keep trying.

Thanks,
Mike
(01-17-2016, 10:23 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I can't seem to reproduce this. It's possible I just don't have all the same settings set that you do. Any chance you can make a small backup that demonstrates this problem? I'm going to keep trying.

Thanks,
Mike

My first reaction to this is that I can no longer reproduce it myself (the symptom disappeared after I used the collections editor).  

And in fact, I can't reproduce it fully, but I did see something very strange.  If I look at that collection, it's sorted properly with articles ignored just as they should be -- but I just tried creating a new collection in hopes of testing the deletion problem, and I noticed that the quick select letters in the right margin of the editor go from A-H, then ET, then T, W, HO, then I-S, then TO, IR, LO, TR, V, WA and Z.

I'll be happy to make a backup and get it to you, but my regular backups (without audio files but including settings) are approximately 1.4 Gb.
What's the best way to share a file that size?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If you can use a cloud sharing service like dropbox and share the folder with mike@zubersoft.com, I will be able to access it.

Thanks so much for your help,
Mike
What song title formatting do you use? Under the song title formatting dialog, do you have "Use formatted title for sorting" checked or unchecked? I'm betting it's one of those settings that is causing the issue. Do you use the custom sort title on any of the songs?

Thanks,
Mike
I just reproduced the problem by using %ARTIST% as the beginning of the song title formatting field and leaving "Use formatted title for sorting" checked. Now the group editor has incorrect letters on the right hand side.
I believe I have a fix in place that should take care of this issue. You no longer need to create a backup, as I'm pretty confident that this was the problem.

Thanks,
Mike
(01-17-2016, 11:16 AM)Zuberman Wrote: What song title formatting do you use? Under the song title formatting dialog, do you have "Use formatted title for sorting" checked or unchecked? I'm betting it's one of those settings that is causing the issue. Do you use the custom sort title on any of the songs?

Thanks,
Mike

I just added an attachment to my previous post, in case you'd like to see a screenshot of the collections editor.

To answer your questions,

- song title formatting is %TITLE%  (caption format is %ALBUMS%)

- yes, "Use formatted title for sorting" is checked (by default, I think?); so is "Show caption"

- I didn't realize there was an option for custom sort title, so I'm pretty sure I'm not using it.  But I'm also not sure where to check for it, and I can't find that in the settings dialog.
(01-17-2016, 11:20 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I believe I have a fix in place that should take care of this issue.  You no longer need to create a backup, as I'm pretty confident that this was the problem.

Thanks,
Mike

Great!  Thanks again.
That worries me a little that you only used %TITLE% and still saw the problem... Hopefully my fix takes care of it in either case.

Mike
(01-17-2016, 12:07 PM)Zuberman Wrote: That worries me a little that you only used %TITLE% and still saw the problem... Hopefully my fix takes care of it in either case.

Mike

I hope so too. Smile

Meanwhile please don't hesitate to say if there's anything at all I can do to help.