• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating/assembling songs from a multisong pdf
I just spent most of the morning figuring out how to do this. This is what I do:

1. Select '+ New' at the top in the main library.
2. Select the folder icon on the right side.
3. Check the multisong pdf I want to use then press ok at the bottom.
4. Select 'use existing file' from the popups the 3 options. I don't remember if there was a popup on the first song. 
Note:'Rename file' didn't seem to work, probably because I used the source for other new songs.
5. Scroll to the first page of the new song using the page bar/<>.
6. Clicked on 'Page Order'.
7. Enter desired pages/order. Had to try several delimiters before I found it was commas.
8. Click on 'Fields' at the top.
9. Edit 'Title' to reflect the correct new song[/medley] name and entered the other information I use. 

The biggest problem was figuring out how to display the correct new song name in the library [steps 8-9]. 

It seems a bit involved. Can it be streamlined to where a user just:
1.Selects '+ New' at the top.
2. Selects the source file, enter the new name of the assembled new song/medley, the page numbers/order to be used, all on one popup.
3. Presses ok.
4. Taken to the editing page to complete the editing, the 'title' being the one in step 2..  

It would help, if streamlining is not feasible/not desired, to include a more detailed description of the operation in the help manual.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(02-17-2016, 06:04 AM)Skip Wrote: It seems a bit involved. Can it be streamlined to where a user just:
1.Selects '+ New' at the top.
2. Selects the source file, enter the new name of the assembled new song/medley, the page numbers/order to be used, all on one popup.
3. Presses ok.
4. Taken to the editing page to complete the editing, the 'title' being the one in step 2..  

I would help, if streamlining is not feasible/not desired, to include a more detailed description of the operation in the help manual.

I was mulling over a similar suggestion, but starting from within the (multi-)song, so you can view the new page(s) and create/copy the new song directly from the respective page (and preferably go direct to the edit of the name field, also suggesting the viewed page in the page number/order field).
With a new fakebook I do these steps:
- "Import - Local File" from the menu
- enable "guess title"
this creates a song named as the file eg. "NewRealBook 1" with PageOrder 1-xx
it allows navigating through the whole book with MSP
- copy that song, name it e.g. "NewRealBook 1 - TOC"
- set PageOrder to the books table of content
So looking up a song is a bit easier now
Copying an existing song from the same book and editing title and PageOrder is easier than creating from scratch.

Far more convenient:
- copy the book's index as a .CSV file into the same folder as the book's PDF
- give it the same name except the file extension. e.g. "NewRealBook_1.CSV" should contain the index of "NewRealBook_1.PDF"
- use "Import - CSV or PDF Bookmarks" (instead of "Import - Local File"), select the CSV, not the PDF
This opens a selection dialog where you can select the songs to be imported, see screenshot.

So let's go on and share our CSV indexes!

@Mike: please add "PageOrder" / "pages" to the selectable fields of "Generate Song List Format". This is essential for sharing index data that were created within MSP

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I already wrote a more detailed description of my workflow above in the forum, but couldn't find it again.

A structured WIKI is badly needed!

Anybody out there who is able and willing to set it up and administrate it?
This could (and probably better should) be somebody else, not Mike himself, he is busy enough with improving MSP and he does a great job.

I would be happy to write the one or the other article into it, but I don't have the time to take over administrative tasks.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Itsme;
Thanks for the info. Using 'copy song' is easier than using '+ New'. It eliminates one step at least, the rest is still pretty much the same though.

I made my own multisong pdf. I guess i would have to make the csv file also, which I don't know how to do yet.
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Using the snippet tool, now that I know how to find it, and the method itsme showed me, seems to be the best way to extract/create a song from a multisong pdf.
Part 1
1. import local file
2. rename [or not]
Part 2
3. select this song file in the main library
4. bring up overlay
5. select the 4 horizontal line icon at the bottom
6. select the scissors icon [snippet tool] at the bottom of the popup
7. make appropriate entries in the 'create snippet' popup.
Done.
Part 2 is repeated as many times as desired. This is pretty much what I was looking for [step 2 in original post] when I opened the post.
Samsung S7+, Android 12
@Zubersoft I just discover the snippet widget ...

My question is : is the created snippet a real part of original PDF file (or like a copy of the original with a visibility on selected pages) ? It's about of files sizes.
It's no copy, no increase in file size if that's what you're asking. A snippet is another song entry in the database linking to the same PDF source file.