• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Text file that MobilesheetsPro can't seem to handle
I have attached a file - a chord chart for What a difference a day makes.  When I drag and drop it onto the companion, it seems ok.  It shows the preview and puts it in the database, but when I disconnect, then try to view the file on my tablet, strange things happen.

Mostly, it shows the last song that I looked at instead, but sometimes it sits there blank, and other times it gives a message about the file content has changed (I have deleted it and re-uploaded it a few times)  and sits there with the circle going around forever.

I grabbed a different new song, made a new text file, and uploaded that to Mobilesheets - just to prove it was working for other files - and ues, no problems.  It is just this one.  Is it the complicated chords causing problems?

Attached Files
.txt   what a difference.txt (Size: 1.36 KB / Downloads: 12)
I'll download it later and try it on my tablets.

For the moment, I can't see how the chords matter. They're not particularly complicated and it's not as though MSP is trying to play them. They are simply text, as far as the program knows. I the problem is more likely to lie elsewhere.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
(02-17-2016, 11:52 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: I'll download it later and try it on my tablets.

For the moment, I can't see how the chords matter.  They're not particularly complicated and it's not as though MSP is trying to play them.  They are simply text, as far as the program knows.  I the problem is more likely to lie elsewhere.

Given that it has to recognise the chords so it can transpose them later if requested, I thought it might have got caught up trying to parse them, that's all.
But this is a text file. Are you renaming it with a Chordpro extension before putting it into MSP?
Graeme

Some of my music here
(02-18-2016, 10:11 AM)GraemeJ Wrote: But this is a text file.  Are you renaming it with a Chordpro extension before putting it into MSP?

No, and I don't need to for the dozen or so new files I have added since then either.  Mobilesheets just accepts them, displays them properly AND let's me transpose them.
I'll look into this very soon - thanks for providing the file. I'll make sure whatever problems I find are fixed for the next update.
Here's an interesting thing.

I downloaded this file and dragged it into Companion, which was linked to my P900 and everything worked just as expected. It loaded into the tablet and displays correctly (even did a key change to check. I was a bit surpised by that, as I was under the impression that a .txt extension wouldn't work).

I then did the same thing with my (new) backup tablet, a cheap 10.1" model - http://www.tinydeal.com/-p-150639.html - and although this links to Companion fine (and I had previously used this combination it to transfer my backup to the tablet) I could not even drag this file into Companion.

Both tablets run 4.4.2 and I am using the current version of MSP on both - obviusly Companion is also the current version.

The only possible conclusion is that there is something different, based on the tablet, but I can't begin tothink what that difference is, or why?
Graeme

Some of my music here
If it turns out to matter, my tablet is a Nexus 7".
Also, I did a few basic things - like shorten the filename, also added/removed white space at the top of the file. When it still behaved the same way, that's when I started to think there was something in the actual content, maybe the chords, that it could not cope with.
I don't use companion, but copying the file to the sdcard and use "import local file" works without problems.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
I cannot reproduce any problems with that file. I also tested on a Nexus 7, and everything seems to work fine for me. I'll have you check it after the next update is released to see if anything has changed.

Mike