• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding an existing entry to a list
I use composer as an example, but this applies to all list types meta data.

When I add a song, and add a new composer (using the (+) button), and the composer already exists, I get an error dialog "Composer already exists - Choose a different name".
It would be nice if it were possible to accept the existing name.

Likewise, it would be nice if it were possible to start add a new composer directly from the "Select items" dialog. E.g., [SELECT NONE] [SELECT ALL] [ADD NEW] .

Rationale: When I enter a song sometimes I do not know whether the composer already exists. So I either have to browse through the list and, if the name is not there, go back and start the add new dialog, or start creating a new composer and have to go back to browsing the list if the name already exists.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
I can certainly work on adding support for adding a new value through that selection dialog (not sure how on much of a headache that might be), but at the moment, I try to enforce unique names for all group types. I'd rather not change that unless there is a very good reason to. There are many areas in the application where it expects group name to be unique when doing lookups. For example, if you specify a composer name in a CSV and import it, I automatically use the first composer found that matches that name. If multiple composers were allowed to have the same name, it would complicate this, and make it more difficult to know which entries new values would be placed under (and I certainly don't want to have to prompt for clarification on every match).

Mike
@Mike: I understand that Johan is not asking for allowing duplicate entries, but requests a "New item" button or menu entry within the selection window.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry if I haven't been clear.
Johan
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
I think I just misunderstood your intent with this section: When I add a song, and add a new composer (using the (+) button), and the composer already exists, I get an error dialog "Composer already exists - Choose a different name".
It would be nice if it were possible to accept the existing name.

I think I understand what you were asking for - the ability to select the existing composer, not create a new composer with the same name, correct? I guess this wouldn't really be an issue if you could create the composer through the other dialog.
Indeed. I think the most natural (user friendly) way is to look up the name in the list, and if it's not there, create a new entry.
The other way around (create new and accept existing) feels artificial.
I'd suggest to move the (+) buttons to the selection dialogs.
Johan
(04-25-2016, 05:58 PM)sciurius Wrote: Indeed. I think the most natural (user friendly) way is to look up the name in the list, and if it's not there, create a new entry.
The other way around (create new and accept existing) feels artificial.
I'd suggest to move the (+) buttons to the selection dialogs.

You think so? I would've thought you would prefer simply the message "entry already exist. Would you like to use it? Y/N" and proceed from there.

If you have hundreds of creators or other entries it might be quicker and more convenient to have the option just to create the entry without scrolling and checking through the list.
It seems to me if an entry already exists the preferred way is the 'yes/no' choice plus if 'no' is selected the '+' option automatically reopens.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(04-25-2016, 09:18 PM)BRX Wrote: If you have hundreds of creators or other entries it might be quicker and more convenient to have the option just to create the entry without scrolling and checking through the list.

Yes... Unless you make a small typo or mistake... Did I spell Stéphane with é ? Was it Rheinhard, Reinhardt,...? Cale, JJ or Cale, J.J.?

Most of the time I would prefer looking it up in the list, adding only if necessary.
Johan
I second Johan's proposal: A "NEW" or "+" button would make sense on most of the selection dialogs. It should open the same dialog as the respective "+" button on the "Fields" tab of the song editor.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11

I added a "New" button as proposed, so this will be in v1.4.8.
Great. Thank you very much

This is nice, I had missed this feature often times.
Only, 1.4.8 isn't on amazon (yet)...
It should be available - I released version 1.5.0 and they sent me an email saying it's live.