• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next song not shown from the top, when...
...you have used autoscroll.
It seems to confuse MSP as to where exactly the next file starts. After autoscroll is no longer active, manual page turning leads to undesired results, the next page beginning down in the middle or anywhere actually. Not before MSP is completely closed and re-loaded does manual page turning behave as expected again (until you use autoscroll again).
I LOVE autoscroll and would like to use it as often as possible. At the same time I want manual page turning (no matter whether by touching the screen or reverting to the Firefly pedal) to still work flawlessly when autoscroll has been stopped.
Thanks!
Samsung P900.
Is there any way you can make a short video or something demonstrating the problem you are seeing? Using the vertical scrolling mode and autoscrolling, I can have it auto scroll as much as I want, stop it, then manual page turning works just fine. If you stop it in the middle of pages, you may have to either manually adjust the page to the top or turn a few pages before it will synchronize back to the top of pages with page turns. If you want page turns to always turn to the start of pages and disregard the possibility of missing content, that would require a new setting of some kind. The reason it's set up the way it is now is that, if you are in the middle of a page, you can't see the rest of that page. If you then turn the page and it aligned the top of the next page to the top of the screen, you would miss the bottom of the page you were on. Hence the page turns always ensure you don't miss content.

The 4 screenshots are:
1: page 1 of song/pdf 1
2: page 2 of song/pdf 1
3: single page song/pdf 2
4: single page song/pdf 3

I had activated autoscroll, stopped it after say 15 seconds, returned to the top of screenshot 1, means the full page was shown again.
The next screenshots are what you see with regular page turn commands. It feels as if I'm out of control here.

I switch from autoscroll to manual when I realize autoscroll is too fast or too slow, and I don't want to interrupt the playing, especially when playing with others. Of course, I should adjust the settings for this song eventually. 

I am doing manual page turns when my eyes have reached the last line of the page, therefore would't need to see it again after page turn, it rather confuses me.
The current behavior keeps me from using autoscroll, as I don't want (what I conceive as) messy page turns when autoscroll is no longer active.

When autoscroll hasn't been used before, the pages are displayed from the top always, as desired.

Thanks!
Sounds like you do want a new setting then so that page turns in the vertical scrolling display always align to the tops of pages. I'll add that when time allows.

Thanks,
Mike
I've actually changed my mind a little about this. I'm going to modify the behavior of the page turning in the vertical scrolling display mode such that, if the pages are smaller than the screen height (with some wiggle room as a few extra pixels shouldn't count), page turning will naturally align to the tops of pages. I think this is more intuitive with what people expect. If you manually scroll down 60% of a page, then tap to turn to the next page, I think you would expect the top of the next page to be moved to the top of the screen (versus just scrolling down the height of the screen). If the pages are taller than the screen height, then this is no longer true, as full page turns aren't possible, so it makes more sense to do partial page turns so content isn't missed. Thoughts?
Ben, try out my changes in v1.5.3 and see if it's behaving more as you'd expect.

Thanks,
Mike
(06-15-2016, 06:13 AM)Zuberman Wrote: If you manually scroll down 60% of a page, then tap to turn to the next page, I think you would expect the top of the next page to be moved to the top of the screen

Great!!!

But what if a page is smaller than the screen?
I have a setlist where the last song is just half a page. It is displayed at the bottom of the screen with a part of the preceeding song still visible. I think it would be better to also top-align this page. Likewise a song that is smaller than the screen size would look nicer if shown on its own.
Note that I mention a complete song that is smaller, not just an individual song page.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
If people would prefer that the last page be allowed to be scrolled to the top of the screen, I can certainly look into allowing that. I think it causes a little bit of havoc with my validation logic that checks to ensure scrolling hasn't occurred past the end of the setlist, but I can probably adjust that so that it checks that the top of the page isn't allowed to be above the screen versus not allowing the bottom of the page to be above the bottom of the screen.

As far as separating songs, that adds a new level of complexity with separating songs in the vertical scrolling mode. Are you suggesting that the only time I would separate the song is if every page of the song combined is less than the height of the screen? Or would you want songs separated in all cases? Or would I have to do something where I check if the first page is small or the last page is small, and separate it in those cases?
Firstly, thanks for the nice page top scroll alignment.

About separating songs, the basic idea is that I just would not expect (parts of) two songs to be shown simultaneously. Checking for a small first / last page would be sufficient.

While at the topic of vertical scroll: I've configured the pedal to scroll 50% of the page. But it does not scroll 50% of the page, it scrolls 50% of the screen. The difference is the black area that is between pages. So the first page (we're talking about ChordPro, so MSPro makes up the page) covers the whole screen (1280 px). Tap pedal and it scrolls 640px up, showing the lowest 640px of the first page, some 20px(?) black bar, and 620px of the next page. One more pedal tap scrolls up 640px, the black bar is now on top and at first glance it looks as if the second page is displayed. But two taps later there's 20px of the 2nd page on top, then the black bar, and then 600px of the 3rd page. You get the idea: while progressing through the pages the black bar shifts further down. I seem to recall that some earlier version did this (more) correctly.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Thank you Mike! Initially I thought 1.5.3 solved this, but we're not there yet.
Oh, and there's a mean bug now: in Portrait Mode you cannot swipe back to the previous song!!! It worked flawlessly before.
Reg. the page forward turn topic, I now see the last part of the bottom of the first page at the top of the second (when doing a page turn), the rest of the screen (>90%) is filled with page 2 which I expected to see 100%. Now, when I do a s e c o n d page turn command, that same page 2 is aligned at the top now, means, I do TWO page turns to see the next page in the desired 100 % format.
Other than that, 1.5 looks great. These two bugs bug me though...
I think I have a fix in place for the swiping problem.

A couple of questions: Are your pages larger than the height of the screen? In this case, the code is doing what it is designed to do - make sure you don't miss content at the bottom of the page. If your pages are the same height as the screen or smaller, and the page turns are not working properly, then that is a bug I'll have to fix. I did notice a problem with the next up song bar being displayed. I'm not sure yet if the title bar also causes a similar problem. I believe I know why this is occurring though.
Mike, thank you, the going back to the previous song is direly missed, looking forward to 1.5.4 for this to work again.
Reg. the top of the page not being aligned to the top of the screen, it all works perfectly fine if autoscroll is not used, the pages are displayed spot on (I have A4 size PDFs always, no cropping usually). When the title bar setting is OFF, pages are shown as desired even when I "mess" with autoscroll. Trouble starts with title bar on (my preferred setting) and autoscrolled used (and stopped). This seems to confuse the rendering of the pages (or whatever happens in the background), the pages are not shown properly from the top, and, this is new, a second page turn does align the same page to the top, but this second page turn is not desired at all.
Cheers.
I think I have all of the scrolling issues taken care of now. Took a lot of work to handle the various cases. I also allow the last page to be aligned to the top of the screen now (with black at the bottom) which I think works better.
(06-16-2016, 06:20 AM)sciurius Wrote: Firstly, thanks for the nice page top scroll alignment.

About separating songs, the basic idea is that I just would not expect (parts of) two songs to be shown simultaneously. Checking for a small first / last page would be sufficient.

While at the topic of vertical scroll: I've configured the pedal to scroll 50% of the page. But it does not scroll 50% of the page, it scrolls 50% of the screen. The difference is the black area that is between pages. So the first page (we're talking about ChordPro, so MSPro makes up the page) covers the whole screen (1280 px). Tap pedal and it scrolls 640px up, showing the lowest 640px of the first page, some 20px(?) black bar, and 620px of the next page. One more pedal tap scrolls up 640px, the black bar is now on top and at first glance it looks as if the second page is displayed. But two taps later there's 20px of the 2nd page on top, then the black bar, and then 600px of the 3rd page. You get the idea: while progressing through the pages the black bar shifts further down. I seem to recall that some earlier version did this (more) correctly.

I'm not sure that separating songs in the vertical scrolling mode really makes sense in a setlist.  That's kind of the point of the setlist - to create a continuous playback through all of the songs.  If the songs should be separated, I would actually argue that you should disable the "Always Load Whole Setlist" and enable the "Automatically Load Next Song". Then you can page through the songs independently, switch between them as needed, and never have to worry about overlap between songs.  I wonder if I should be trying to make this mode of operation something that is easier to trigger or switch between...

As far as scrolling, all scroll amounts are measured as a percent of the current page being scrolled. I do appear to be accounting for the gap between pages in some places, but not others, so I think it's just a bug I need to fix.

UPDATE:
Found the bug in the pedal scrolling where I'm not accounting for the gap and I also found a similar problem that can happen in the automatic scrolling.
It seems to me that the manual page turn command (by pedal or quick touch in the right part of the screen) should do what you have when you turn a page in a book made of good ole paper, it leads you to a new page that begins at the top and ends at the bottom. Reading position on the previous page is irrelevant, you hit page turn, you expect page turn. It works fine, UNLESS you have autoscrolled before and your title bar setting is ON, this is the scenario where you kind of lose control over the manual page turns, the result of the manual page turn appears to be unpredictable.