• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange Rendering Bug
With the latest release of MSP (1.5.2) I noticed that some of my charts were loading a slower than before.   This is of no concern if it is at the first page, but it is a problem if a second or third page loads slowly. I am used to a chart loading almost instantly, same with page turns.

I have always had the rendering set to 'Quality' so I thought I'd try the faster option.  Quite honestly, although it did seem marginally faster, there was still a delay on some pages, which I would rather not have.  Oddly enough, the quality semed about the same.

However, something really strange happens on some of my charts.  In the faster render all displays correctly (if sometimes still a little slow) but in the slower render all the chords are missing (see attached screenshots).  I have many charts like this, all produced by me and using the same method to create them.  Most display correctly in either render mode, but a few show this strange behaviour.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
Graeme,

I reviewed the code changes, but I'm really confused by why you would be seeing such a drastic change. I basically only changed two things that could have any impact on performance:

1) I switched my buttons to use tinting to show selection instead of having separate images for the normal state and a selected state

2) I changed the way audio is loaded to fix a bug with devices running Android 4.0.3

If you hide the title bar, does the performance change? Do you have any audio loaded with the songs that are behaving badly? I definitely can't explain the missing annotations. I changed absolutely nothing related to annotation rendering.

Thanks,
Mike
Graeme, is this a PDF document? May I see a copy?
I recently encountered a similar situation where a PDF rendered fine with one viewer but turned mostly blank with another viewer.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
Mike;

This problem may well have existed for some time.  I did check the faster rendering mode when you first introduced it and it seemed to work OK.  I then switched back to the 'Quality' mode.  Of course, I now know that not all files exhibit this bug.  I would likely never had found it if it wasn't for the slower rendering of this release.

Turning off the title bar makes no difference.  There was an associated MP3 (two, in fact) - I deleted them, but still the same.

Just checked on my Backup 1 tablet, exactly the same bug. Can't check on the Backup 2 tablet, as I have lent it to a friend.

scurious;

Yes, it's a PDF file.  Copy attached for you to play with.

Attached Files
.pdf   Cheek To Cheek.pdf (Size: 11.12 KB / Downloads: 7)
Graeme

Some of my music here
I just tried that file and it loaded instantly. I also don't see any problems with the Quality rendering option. If I switch to "Speed", it renders without chords as you showed in your second screenshot. If you switch to quality and you still don't see chords, that means that the quality PDF rendering library is corrupted, and it's falling back to the "speed" option. It doesn't sound like this is the case though. Can you try updating to v1.5.3 and see if this fixes anything? Also, just to verify, were you running v1.5.0 before you updated to v1.5.2?

Thanks,
Mike
Turns out the problem with the Speed option and those PDFs not rendering correctly was introduced in v1.5.1. I messed up some of the fonts stuff in the PDF library. Once I reverted this, everything showed up correctly again. I'll include the fixes in the next update.
(06-15-2016, 03:39 PM)Zuberman Wrote: I just tried that file and it loaded instantly. I also don't see any problems with the Quality rendering option.  If I switch to "Speed", it renders without chords as you showed in your second screenshot.  If you switch to quality and you still don't see chords, that means that the quality PDF rendering library is corrupted, and it's falling back to the "speed" option.  It doesn't sound like this is the case though. Can you try updating to v1.5.3 and see if this fixes anything?  Also, just to verify, were you running v1.5.0 before you updated to v1.5.2?

Turns out the problem with the Speed option and those PDFs not rendering correctly was introduced in v1.5.1. I messed up some of the fonts stuff in the PDF library. Once I reverted this, everything showed up correctly again. I'll include the fixes in the next update.

1 - I can switch back and forth between the two render modes and get the reported problem.  It's not falling back to one mode or the other.

2 - I updated to 1.53, makes no difference.

3 - I was running 1.50 before.

4 - Looks like you have already nailed the root cause of the problem.

I shall be interested to see if whatever changes you are about to make will also solve the slow loading problem that I have been seeing since 1.52.  Currently, I wouldn't like to be running MSP in a live show.
Graeme

Some of my music here
Graeme,

Can you send me an email at mike@zubersoft.com? I want to upload some APKs for you (a few to test and the v1.5.0 APK so you can downgrade if needed).

Thanks,
Mike