• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resume to jump back to last song-in-list location
Feature request I'd love: 

When paging through songs in a list, often a very large list, playing many of them (trying or rehearsing or even performing), I sometimes tap too fast and fall out of the list. Oops. But recovering is painful. 

It would be wonderful to have Resume option to go back to where I just was, meaning back to the same song at the same place in the same list. Is MSP capable of knowing exactly where it is, and keeping a tiny history? 

I can use Recent to get back to the song, but that's not in the context of the list I was working in. Unless I go back to the same list, same position, I can't actually resume paging between the songs. 

Lacking the Resume feature, I must not just open the song, I must re-open the specific list which sometimes requires scrolling (lots of lists). Then, I'm at the top of the long list, so several more steps to get to the song in the list, to recover from my "oops"... sometimes while a room full of people stare at me.
-- John

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 (SM-T900) Android 5.1.1
There are actually a couple of features already in the app that may be useful for you. The first is under Settings->Library Settings and is called "Always Load Last Viewed Page". If you enable this before loading a setlist, it will save your place so that the next time you load it, you will resume your place. It sounds like this may work for what you want. If you don't want to enable this setting, you can still long press a song or setlist on the library screen, tap the overflow menu and then choose the "Load Last Viewed Page" option. Let me know if this isn't exactly what you need though.
(06-17-2016, 05:08 PM)Zuberman Wrote: There are actually a couple of features already in the app that may be useful for you. The first is under Settings->Library Settings and is called "Always Load Last Viewed Page". If you enable this before loading a setlist, it will save your place so that the next time you load it, you will resume your place. It sounds like this may work for what you want. If you don't want to enable this setting, you can still long press a song or setlist on the library screen, tap the overflow menu and then choose the "Load Last Viewed Page" option.  Let me know if this isn't exactly what you need though.

Mike the option "Always Load Last Viewed Page" says simply auto-goes to the last page of a multi-page song. That's not what I'm seeking. The second option doesn't help either.

My need is to recover from "falling out" of my place in a list, whether Songs, or a Collection, or a Setlist. I'm looking for a direct way to jump back to the LIST+SONG where I just was, from wherever I accidentally went, which might be another, not have to start over selecting the list, then locating the song. Whether I go directly to the page within the song is a minor thing, I just don't want to navigate through dozens of lists and thousands of songs to recover from "oops".

The most common situation is inadvertently tapping the tablet's Back key. This happens fairly often when I take a wild stab at the screen to quickly change the page, because the Back key is right there too. Wherever Back happens to take me, I'm instantly lost, no way to go Forward right back to where I was.

So, I'm wondering if could MSP maintain a bit of NAVIGATION history, as a web browser does, to step Back one or more times, IN the list that was being used? This would be different from the Recent list, which does not also have the context of the particular list and position in the list.

Simply put, the wish is for a Forward action that exactly reverses the tablet's Back action.
-- John

If I'm understanding you, swiping the library screen left will return back to the setlist or song you were viewing. This is equivalent to tapping the forward arrow in the floating toolbar at the bottom right corner of the screen. Is this what you were looking for?
(06-19-2016, 02:17 PM)Zuberman Wrote: If I'm understanding you, swiping the library screen left will return back to the setlist or song you were viewing. This is equivalent to tapping the forward arrow in the floating toolbar at the bottom right corner of the screen. Is this what you were looking for?

I don't have my tablet handy to try, but I was not aware that swiping would move between a list and song, thought it was only to page through songs.

As to the floating toolbar, I haven't realized any use for it, and try hard to not invoke it because it blocks a portion of the music. I'm never quite sure what kind of tapping will show or hide it. Therefore, another wish is that all or most toolbar functions are also on the pulldown menu, with an option to disable the tapping option. I want tapping to change pages and nothing more, unless I'm overlooking a benefit that I'm too dense to grasp. Huh

Even the audio player can be frustrating, because sometimes once I get it displayed for a particular song that has attached audio, the player keeps popping up on other songs, even (I recall) on non-audio songs. In any case, I don't want it to automatically appear on any song but the one where I invoked it. Today it messed me up several times during a rehearsal where we move among songs quickly, after I played just one audio file to check the intro of a new song, I had to keep hiding the player on other songs. I didn't want to stop the other 7 people in the band while I figured it out, so probably I was doing something wrong, such as tapping wrongly trying to hide it...I don't know, first time I used the player in this situation.

Again, sorry if I'm misunderstanding or misusing, but for me, actions that are rare and/or specialized should require an explicit step to invoke, not be the result of mis-aimed page tapping. But others might want exactly the opposite, finding such tapping to be useful. So please take this as perspective, not complaint.
-- John

When I say floating toolbar, I'm talking about the little toolbar with five buttons at the bottom right corner of the library screen. I'm not talking about the quick action box which comes up if you tap the bottom right corner when viewing a song (which you can disable if you don't need it in the touch settings). All functions are already in other areas - the quick action box is not required. If you've disabled that toolbar under the library settings, you can re-enable it if you want to see the button I'm talking about. Otherwise a simple swipe will take you back to viewing the song/setlist.

I'll have to look into the audio player thing. I think maybe it comes up if you happen to tap on the library screen on the same part of the tablet screen where the audio player is hidden (or something like that). I can't seem to figure out why the problem happens on some tablets but not others.

Mike
I have configured the touch actions to show audio player, start metronome and some more. But have to admit they came up more often involuntarily when tapping for page changes than using them intentionally, sometimes confusing my playing.
I'd like to suggest to add long press to the touch options. Not only that doubles the slot for touch actions but choosing those for performance mode (please also for the quick action bar) would eliminate unintential popping up while tapping for page turns.
Mike, do you prefer new topics for suggestions or appending to related ones?

I'd like to suggest two more touch actions "jump to next/previous song in setlist". It can be useful for setlists with several songs with multiple pages (in orchestras, bigbands etc.). (With a configurable long press which you already have in your to-do-list).
I believe "Go to Previous Song" and "Go to Next Song" already do that.
Duh, yes of course. Don't know why I overlooked that. Sorry.

(Still need more touch actions/the long press to use that though for the available ones are all used in my MSP)