• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exporting to PDF
I use mainly chordpro files. I often need to email versions of these to others who only use paper (i.e. stuck in the last century!) and in order to ensure they get versions which show the chords above the lyrics rather than inline (per the underlying text file) I select Print, which renders a print preview, and then press the yellow button to save the PDF to my device.

When I then go to select the file to attach to an email I find it has a double PDF extension. So a song file that starts off as mysong.chopro or mysong.txt ends up as mysong.pdf.pdf .

Of course it's easy enough to edit the file name by chopping off the extra '.pdf' but I was wondering if this is a bug or am I doing something wrong?

I'm using Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, Android 6.0.

Thanks.
Definitely sounds like an unintended bug with the conversion to PDF. I'll get it fixed.
I can't seem to reproduce this problem, so I must be doing it a different way than you are. If I utilize the print feature to save to disk, I can name the output file whatever I want, so it never has the double PDF extension. If I long press the song and use Share->Share files or Share->Export files, the output PDF also doesn't have the double PDF file extension. There must be something I'm missing if you can easily reproduce it. I've only tested with .cho files at the moment - do you only get those results with the specific file extensions mentioned above?

Thanks,
Mike
[attachment=655 Wrote:Zuberman pid='16048' dateline='1472541314']I can't seem to reproduce this problem, so I must be doing it a different way than you are. If I utilize the print feature to save to disk, I can name the output file whatever I want, so it never has the double PDF extension. If I long press the song and use Share->Share files or Share->Export files, the output PDF also doesn't have the double PDF file extension. There must be something I'm missing if you can easily reproduce it. I've only tested with .cho files at the moment - do you only get those results with the specific file extensions mentioned above?

Thanks,
Mike

If I long press on a song and use Share>Export Files I see no option to export as PDF. There is note at the bottom of the dialog box that says "Warning: Text and chordpro files must be converted to PDF to support annotations" but does not seem to provide any feature to enable conversion to PDF. That's why I go down the Print route.

To reiterate I select Print which shows a print preview. I then select the yellow button to save the PDF. This opens my file manager and shows the file, now with the double extension, at the bottom. The is no option to rename the file. When I click Done it saves the file.

I'm attaching screenshots to show the sequence using Summertime as an example. This is has a .chopro extension but I get the same issue with .txt files.

I've tried this on multiple tablets now with .chopro files and .txt files, and have not encountered this problem. I think it's specific to your tablet I'm afraid. The file is created with a single ".pdf" by my app, so I don't know why the extra .pdf is being added by the print handler on your tablet. I can think about changing the export files option to have a checkbox that forces it to be exported as PDF. Otherwise, there is another trick - if you add an annotation of any kind to the text file and then export it, it will be converted to PDF (as text files can't have annotations). So you can just add an invisible white line or dot, for example.
Hi Mike
Thanks for spending time on this. I tried it on a different Samsung tablet I use as a backup and it handled the whole print process quite differently and didn't add the extra file extension. So I think you're right, it's a feature of my tablet.

It's no biggy as it's simple enough to rename the file and remove the extra file extension and this is less clunky than adding an annotation to force the file to export as PDF. But if you ever get around to adding an Export to PDF feature for text/chordpro files that would, to me, be more logical than using the print feature as a workaround to create a PDF.

Cheers.
Actually, the extra file extension should not cause a problem. If you have a file XXXX.pdf.pdf, it should still open in a PDF reader.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here