• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File editor for Companion
I may be the only one who would use it, but would it be possible to add a file editor to Companion? I will likely be editing a large number of chordpro files to format them the way I want and even though I can do it with the editor in MBS, it would be much easier if I could edit them from the comfort of my 22" desktop monitor. My eyes would be forever grateful.

Seriously, I have no idea if this is even possible, but it seems like a good idea to me.
It's possible, it's just a lot of work to add it. I can certainly add it as an enhancement for the future.
I think it is quite straightforward to 'shell out' to a convenient editor of your choice on desktop systems.
However, you may want to consider a workflow where you maintain the songs on the desktop, and (re)import them into MSPro instead of maintaining them in MSPro. "Editing a large number of chordpro files" on a tablet is no fun.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(09-12-2016, 04:25 PM)sciurius Wrote: I think it is quite straightforward to 'shell out' to a convenient editor of your choice on desktop systems.
However, you may want to consider a workflow where you maintain the songs on the desktop, and (re)import them into MSPro instead of maintaining them in MSPro. "Editing a large number of chordpro files" on a tablet is no fun.

If necessary, I can edit the songs in SongBook on my desktop and then import everything back into MBS.
(09-12-2016, 03:21 PM)Zuberman Wrote: It's possible, it's just a lot of work to add it.  I can certainly add it as an enhancement for the future.

Thanks again!
As an alternative to me adding an editor in the companion app, I can look into adding more options for managing the files that are copied over from the tablet. I could add an edit option where it uses whatever default program is assigned on the OS, as well as an explore option to view the copy of the file that was made in Windows Explorer (so it can be right-clicked and opened with whatever program is desired). I'll also need to add a file watcher though so I know if the file is modified and needs to be copied back to the tablet.
I was wondering if there was any progress on this feature? Even having the option to edit the file in my desktop editor would be great.
Unfortunately, I have not had time to look into this issue yet. I'm trying to tackle the highest priority items first (the things that are most commonly requested). Once those are finished, I will work changes like this one in.
I completely understand. Thank you for all the work you put into the app.