• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice about how to deal with repeats when using a pedal
Playing piano from a multi-page .pdf score that includes repeats, D.S. al this that, etc.
I'm using a pedal to turn pages. Sometimes, the repeat signs needs me to go back more than one page, so clicking the back pedal is not sufficient. D.S. al Segno and Coda brings me to other places in the score that makes pedal use even more insufficient.

I know I could create a new .pdf by cutting and pasting that would just move forward, but that would be a lot of time/work and a real kludge <sic>.

Using links doesn't help (if I'm doing it properly, that is) as the pedal doesn't follow link markings.

How have you folks dealt with this situation? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had to deal with this.
Thanks muchly for your suggestions!
> I know I could create a new .pdf by cutting and pasting that would just move forward, but that would be a lot of time/work and a real kludge <sic>

No, no, no. I was thinking about doing the same in the beginning before I explored the features of MSP more in depth and learned what a waste that would have been.

You can order the pages in the settings how you like, even duplicate pages without editing the original PDF. So just make a "linear order" of the song by ordering the pages and insert duplicates (just the page number) if needed.

Then you can hide the not needed parts with cropping so it looks like a continuing sheet. It's not too much effort and - as I said - leaves the PDF file completely unchanged. So you can scroll through your sheet with the pedal without jumping or scrolling back.

I've done this for all my bigband sheets with multiple pages and it works well.
I am a piano/keyboard player too. The way described above may be the best, though it takes some time up front.

If have not done that (mostly because I have gotten used to the method below before I used MS, with all it features)

Instead, I just make sure the pedal is set so that it stops at the beginning and end of the of the song (even if it is in a setlist) and no de-bounce.

If I have to go to the beginning of a large song, I hold the pedal down (I use the billipro) to get there. Same thing if I have to get to the end.

If I have to back or front one or two pages, I hit the pedal once or twice.

Sometimes I might need to go from the last page of a long song to the 2nd or 3rd. I would hold the pedal enough to get to the first page then go 1 or 2 forward.

But, this can be a little tricky. And would probably not be doable for a sheet that is much more than 8 pages. But, it is another option.

Jeff
(09-16-2016, 10:10 PM)BRX Wrote: > I know I could create a new .pdf by cutting and pasting that would just move forward, but that would be a lot of time/work and a real kludge <sic>

No, no, no. I was thinking about doing the same in the beginning before I explored the features of MSP more in depth and learned what a waste that would have been.

You can order the pages in the settings how you like, even duplicate pages without editing the original PDF. So just make a "linear order" of the song by ordering the pages and insert duplicates (just the page number) if needed.

Then you can hide the not needed parts with cropping so it looks like a continuing sheet. It's not too much effort and - as I said - leaves the PDF file completely unchanged. So you can scroll through your sheet with the pedal without jumping or scrolling back.

I've done this for all my bigband sheets with multiple pages and it works well.

Thanks BXR, perhaps you could help me here a little. What's the correct way to insert a page (not a blank page)? Also, when you say you use cropping to hide the parts not needed, doesn't that leave you with weird shaped (zoomed) pages?

Sorry if I'm being seriously dense here!
(09-16-2016, 11:25 PM)jeffn1 Wrote: I am a piano/keyboard player too.  The way described above may be the best, though it takes some time up front.

If have not done that (mostly because I have gotten used to the method below before I used MS, with all it features)

Instead, I just make sure the pedal is set so that it stops at the beginning and end of the of the song (even if it is in a setlist) and no de-bounce.

If I have to go to the beginning of a large song, I hold the pedal down (I use the billipro) to get there.  Same thing if I have to get to the end.

If I have to back or front one or two pages, I hit the pedal once or twice.

Sometimes I might need to go from the last page of a long song to the 2nd or 3rd.  I would hold the pedal enough to get to the first page then go 1 or 2 forward.

But, this can be a little tricky.  And would probably not be doable for a sheet that is much more than 8 pages.  But, it is another option.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, but I want to avoid trusting my pedal choreography to get me back and forth ;-)
Quote:Thanks BXR, perhaps you could help me here a little. What's the correct way to insert a page (not a blank page)?  Also, when you say you use cropping to hide the parts not needed, doesn't that leave you with weird shaped (zoomed) pages?

Not at all.

Open the files tab. See the page order field at the bottom? 

If you have a sheet with 1-8 and you have a repeat or segno on 5 to go to 3 and play to a coda on 4 which goes from 6 to the end you insert

1-5,3-4,6-8

As I said I crop away the superfluous parts. Mostly I crop vertically only so there are no weirdly zoomed shapes since I keep the widths.

If there are occasionally bars I want hide I usually put a rectangle filled with white over it so it seems “deleted“.

Is it clearer now or do you need more examples?

And I almost forgot. To get the best view of a continuing sheet after cropping you should use the vertical scroll.
(09-17-2016, 04:08 AM)BRX Wrote:
Quote:Thanks BXR, perhaps you could help me here a little. What's the correct way to insert a page (not a blank page)?  Also, when you say you use cropping to hide the parts not needed, doesn't that leave you with weird shaped (zoomed) pages?

Not at all.

If you have a sheet with 1-8 and you have a repeat or segno on 5 to go to 3 and play to a coda on 4 which goes from 6 to the end you insert

1-5,3-4,6-8

As I said I crop away the superfluous parts. Mostly I crop vertically only so there are no weirdly zoomed shapes since I keep the widths.

If there are occasionally bars I want hide I usually put a rectangle filled with white over it so it seems “deleted“.

And I almost forgot. To get the best view of a continuing sheet after cropping you should use the vertical scroll.

Thanks :-) I had to read your explanation about inserting 3x or more before I realised you were actually explaining how to insert multiple pages. (Sleep deprivation, be gone...)

I rather doubt the vertical scroll will work in my case, as I'm in double page mode on a 22" screen (Acer Inspire) but I'll be able to try it all tomorrow if the world hasn't exploded by the time I wake up.

Thanks again!
(09-17-2016, 04:08 AM)BRX Wrote:

Not at all.

1-5,3-4,6-8

This is exactly how I handle it.
The only issue I have had is when the 'pages' get relatively small (like two or three lines) in which case the 'scroll ahead' feature (not full page advance) can get a little choppy.

If you use 'page turn', you should have no issues.
I could be wrong, it happened once before.
(09-16-2016, 11:25 PM)jeffn1 Wrote: > I just make sure the pedal is set so that it stops at the beginning and end of the of the song
> (even if it is in a setlist) and no de-bounce. (I use the billipro)...

I have two billipro pedals, and both of them will do multiple pages for a single press, a few percent of the time. This, of course, is a disaster. So I have de-bounce set to at least 0.5 seconds. That makes it impossible to go back with any reliability, but I occasionally press the wrong pedal; at first I rotated the pedal 90 degrees so the "back" pedal was hard to press, now I just configure both pedals to go forward.

What I do for repeats is copy the pages appropriately; rather than cropping them, I use my Mac to place a white rectangle over measures to be skipped -- this lets me white-out partial staves. I of course do this before uploading to MobileSheets. As I rely on my tablet now, I have two tablets and two pedals and keep them synchronized -- that means I do annotations and other manipulations on the Mac, not in MobileSheets (I run Windows 10 in a virtual machine to use the MobileSheets Companion).
[/quote]
(09-16-2016, 09:22 PM)Alan Evans Wrote: Playing piano from a multi-page .pdf score that includes repeats, D.S. al this that, etc.
I'm using a pedal to turn pages. Sometimes, the repeat signs needs me to go back more than one page, so clicking the back pedal is not sufficient. D.S. al Segno and Coda brings me to other places in the score that makes pedal use even more insufficient.

I know I could create a new .pdf by cutting and pasting that would just move forward, but that would be a lot of time/work and a real kludge <sic>.

Using links doesn't help (if I'm doing it properly, that is) as the pedal doesn't follow link markings.

How have you folks dealt with this situation? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had to deal with this.
Thanks muchly for your suggestions!

The "Link" option works perfectly for me and is ideal for your situation.  I play a lot of classical music with multi pages, repeats over page turns, D.C's, D.S's and Codas.  If your pedal doesn't follow the links then it's not set up correctly.

john
Hannspree 13.3"
Android 4.2.2
I have one pedal assigned to 'activate next link or go to next page' which works fine.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12