• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speed up page load
Hi,
maybe i only didn't see the right option, but is there a setup to load all pages of the current song?
When i open a song with more than 1 page it always needs some time to switch to the next page, when i open it for the first time.
So, how can i preload all pages of a song?
I don't see this on my tablets - page changes are virually instant. TTBOMK, MSP preloads a number of pages anyway and I'm wondering if the problem lies with your hardware, rather than the app''
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
My tablet is a Trekstor Surftab Theatre.
http://www.trekstor.de/detail-surftabs-e...e-133.html
I think it should have enough power to manage MSP.

Maybe the problem is, because the 2 pages are in different PDF files?
(10-24-2016, 04:05 AM)lionking Wrote: Maybe the problem is, because the 2 pages are in different PDF files?

I tried loading separate PDF files from the 'Songs' tab (where it would not be possible to pre-load files),  Depending on size (and PDF optimisation used) they all loaded in around a second or less.

What sort of times are you experiencing?  And what would you consider acceptable?
Graeme

Some of my music here
My second page also loads in 3-5 seconds. If it is loaded i can switch between the pages instant without any delay.
I was hoping MSP would load all the pages in background (or at least the next page), so i can switch instant anytime.
MobileSheetsPro should be loading all pages in the background and caching them (up to seven pages forward). The fact that they are from different files should have no impact so long as they are in the same song or setlist. How many pages is each PDF? Based upon your description, it sounds like even the second page is not being cached?
(10-24-2016, 05:43 PM)Zuberman Wrote: MobileSheetsPro should be loading all pages in the background and caching them (up to seven pages forward).  The fact that they are from different files should have no impact so long as they are in the same song or setlist.  How many pages is each PDF?  Based upon your description, it sounds like even the second page is not being cached?

Until now i only tested with a song with 2 pages. Both pages are an extra file containing 1 page with about 400-500 kB each.
I also tried to make 1 file with 2 pages but here happens the same.
On the first load of a page i always get the hourglass for a short moment. 
After this i can switch immediatly.
I may be talking complete nonsense... but...
The SurfTab is an Intel based tablet. Last time I looked, MSPro did contain a number of native libraries, a.o. for handling PDF. If these libraries are native ARM, and must be emulated on the Intel processor, this could make certain operations a lot slower.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
I compile the native libraries for ARM, ARMv7, ARMv8, MIPS, x86, and x86_64. So his intel based tablet should be using the x86 or x86_64 versions of the native libraries. I'm not even sure things would work correctly if the correct version of the native library was not used...

lionking - Optimizing PDFs can be tricky, but usually results in the files loading much faster. So my advice would be to try optimizing the PDFs (I can even try this for you if you want) or convert them to images if the load times are really becoming a problem.
Today i did a test with PDF and PNG. I added the same song as a PDF with 2 pages and again as a 2 PNG files.
PDF quality is a lot better, but file size is almost the same - around 800 KB.
Both need about the same time to load in general.
When i load the PDF song it needs a moment, when i switch to the second page for the first time.
When i load the PNG song there is no delay.

Is there a HowTo for generating the best PDF files online?

I scanned my sheets to a TIFF file of 600 dpi, cropped them in XnView and converted them to PDF as they had the best quality at the smallest file size.
(10-27-2016, 03:19 AM)lionking Wrote: I scanned my sheets to a TIFF file of 600 dpi, cropped them in XnView and converted them to PDF as they had the best quality at the smallest file size.

Given the resolution of a common tablet, 150 or 200 dpi would be sufficient.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
(10-27-2016, 03:19 AM)lionking Wrote: PDF quality is a lot better, but file size is almost the same - around 800 KB.

Hmmm... I think this may be at least a partial reason for your problem.  Most of my PDF's are 100 KB or less.  I have a couple that are larger and I checked out the load time of the biggest one I could find (222 KB) and it is still quite quick - certainly less than a second (and that's a lot quicker than it would have taken me to find a piece of sheet music Smile )  - with subseqeunt pages being as near instataneous as not to matter.
Graeme

Some of my music here
(10-27-2016, 06:45 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: Hmmm... I think this may be at least a partial reason for your problem.  Most of my PDF's are 100 KB or less.  I have a couple that are larger and I checked out the load time of the biggest one I could find (222 KB) and it is still quite quick - certainly less than a second (and that's a lot quicker than it would have taken me to find a piece of sheet music Smile )  - with subseqeunt pages being as near instataneous as not to matter.

Which settings do you use to create your files?

I tried to make the files smaller, but by changing the resolution i lose to much quality.
Maybe i only need to scan them again with less dpi?
I use the optimisation feature of Adobe Acrobat 8.
Graeme

Some of my music here
(10-28-2016, 08:12 PM)GraemeJ Wrote: I use the optimisation feature of Adobe Acrobat 8.

Well, not all do have software like that.
Maybe other also can post their way to the perfect file.