• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tempo & Metronome
I just noticed that the tempo field of a song isn't fixed but changes to the last (4) tempos used in the metronome.

In general I like that the metronome remembers the last used tempos. But the tempo field of the song shouldn't be used for that but to save one fixed “right“ tempo, which should be the always accessible default tempo in the metronome (especially if you change the tempo often for practise purposes).
That would actually be a very big change because that data is currently synchronized. I don't store a different tempo for the metronome versus what is shown in the song metadata. I could also see situations where people would prefer that the data be synchronized so they don't have to change values in two spots. I might actually argue that it would be better for you to use a custom field to store the tempo if you want it to be different than what it used in the metronome itself.
Obviously I have no clue how big a change for features I propose is necessary. :-)

IMO it's good the tempo is synchronized from song metadata to metronome, but not vice versa if you change the tempo in the metronome e.g. for practice. I'd like a fixed return point so to speak. Also I'd like to try to use the tempo for automatic scrolling and it'd be better to be fixed (like in the metadata) or at least initially display always the tempo from the metadata as well.

Another point is that often there is a tempo given in the sheet itself (think Aebersold, but others too) so I see that more like an unchangeable thing like a (fixed) key (since you can't transpose a pdf sheet).
Well, that's just my 2 cents.

If it's too big a change though, then more custom fields, please.
I'm just getting down to actually utilizing song tempo's & the metronome with the band and I too am puzzled with this behavior. I had no idea that tempo changes via the metronome are permanent! Certainly doesn't fit with what I would naturally think is logical behavior. The good news for me is that since I use chordPro files I can always view the file and see what the real tempo is, assuming I remember later that I modified it and need to change it back...but that's a PITA for sure.

(12-09-2016, 06:43 AM)Zuberman Wrote: That would actually be a very big change because that data is currently synchronized. I don't store a different tempo for the metronome versus what is shown in the song metadata.

This sounds somewhat eerily like the discussion we had about key transposition to me. I think this is another case of where song metadata modification differs by use case. In use case of BRX & myself, a synchronize tempo to SETLIST song metadata would/could make sense but not to the song entry in the db itself.

As an example, if I add a song to a set and we decide at practice that in this instance we want it faster or slower because it segues better in the context of this set, synchronizing to a setlist version of song metadata makes sense. But the next time I go to add that song to another set I'd expect, I think quite naturally, that the tempo would be the "correct" tempo for the song. I personally feel that permanently changing a song's tempo, like changing it's key, should be more a deliberate act.

(12-09-2016, 06:43 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I could also see situations where people would prefer that the data be synchronized so they don't have to change values in two spots.  I might actually argue that it would be better for you to use a custom field to store the tempo if you want it to be different than what it used in the metronome itself.

I think different use cases change what "makes sense". I get that the current behavior might make sense to some. However, IMHO silently modify data is problematic because it doesn't fit all use cases. If setlist level song metadata is problematic, perhaps these are more places where [Apply to...] would make more sense?!? Or maybe a combination of the two...where song metadata is copied (and synchronized) to the setlist but places like metronome or key transpose dialogs could have an [Apply to...] button to allow users to select where they want changes applied. Just thinking out loud.

...off to review 100+ songs to make sure their tempo is correct.  Sad
Samsung Note 10.1 GT-N8013ZW / iPad Pro / AirTurn BT-105 / AirTurn BT200S-4
Thanks for coming to my aid, DTownSMR, and expanding on my points. :-)

Especially the “silent change“ is problematic IMO. I was surprised by this behaviour. If it is synchronized with the metadata there should at least a change warning when you leave the song.