• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Companion and PC same time restoring
I just got a Windows 10 laptop/tablet and purchased and installed MS on it.

I also installed the companion on it.

I backed up up my MS file from my Android tablet on to the Windows 10 PC/Tablet using the Companion on the Windows PC/Tablet

Then I tried to restore into Mobilesheets on the tablet by trying to connect the Companion on the Windows 10 PC Tablet to Mobilesheets on that same Windows 10 PC/Tablet

It did not connect (it tried).

Is it pretty much expected that it would not work ? (to connect the Companion and MS using the same Windows 10 PC/Tablet.

I worked around by just restoring from my regular PC.  I can do it that way for now on,

But, should I have been able to do what I tried?  Should I have used another technique (I tried using the import function, but I couldn't get that to work).

I am fine always restoring from the desktop (probably better to make sure all tablets are using the same file).

But, I guess I am curious whether it should have worked (to back up the file using the Companion and the Mobilsheets on the same Windows PC/Tablet

Jeff
It should work, when you restore, do it the same way you would on android when the backup is on the tablet. Use the file path, not wifi. It can't connect with itself, That's like calling yourself on your own phone.  Big Grin
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(02-10-2017, 06:09 AM)Skip Wrote: It should work, when you restore, do it the same way you would on android when the backup is on the tablet. Use the file path, not wifi. It can't connect with itself, That's like calling yourself on your own phone.  Big Grin

Ok, that's the problem.  I thought maybe it was something along those lines.

Not sure how to use "file path".  But its probably better to always back up from by Desktop anyway.

Thanks!

Jeff
When you backup [settings>backup/restore] you can select the location by clicking on the folder at the right. The 1st place brought up is default. If you look at the top of the page, just under 'select backup file name' is a side scrollable line, that is the file path. It shows 'Root-storage-extcard [or another card name]-Android-data-com.zubersoft.mobilesheets...-files'. The only variable you should mess with is the card name, the rest should remain the same unless you have a special location for your backups. Any file explorer app should be able to find this, above and beyond the backup/restore in MSP. this is the same way you find the restore file, just select 'restore backup' instead of 'backup'. This is all on the tablet and not using the companion app.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Thanks!
It was listed in the original release notes for MobileSheets for Windows 10 (and it's also listed a few others places like the manual I believe), but you cannot connect the companion app to MobileSheets if they are running on the same machine. This is a limitation that Microsoft put in place for Universal Apps. They are not allowed to talk on the network to each other if they are running on the same machine. It's rare that you would need to use the companion app on the same machine as the Windows 10 version though, because it's far faster to just do the work in the Windows 10 version itself.

Mike