• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature Request: Enhanced Surface Pen Functionality in Annotaion Editor
(04-21-2018, 01:56 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Yes, that is part of the annotations rework that is coming. I plan on integrating the annotation capability on the main display and adding a radial menu for switching tools, loading favorites, configuring the tools, etc.

Mike

Glad I found this thread.  Annotation support has always felt half-baked, like it was designed for Android (where most use fingers or a passive/capacitive pen), compared with rich stylus-first Windows apps like OneNote and StaffPad.

Getting rid of the modal switch will be a huge step forward!  Is that far away?  If so, would you consider some short term mitigations?  Such as:
  • Allowing page navigation in Annotation Mode via the usual gestures, not just the toolbar buttons (assuming Stylus Mode is checked)
  • Making it so that the Save button leaves you on the same page you were looking at, rather than switching back to the page where you initially entered Annotation Mode
As you work on the big rewrite, might I also suggest:
  • Pressure sensitivity = line width and/or color saturation
  • Hold pen button = rectangle select (like in OneNote)
  • Having brushes scale with zoom, i.e. zooming in automatically implies smaller effective width (same # of display pixels @ new scale factor)
Curious to see how much you can fit into a radial popup.  As a counterpoint, the way ForScore does it (full-width floating toolbar) works well, even on tablets w/o a pen -- it combines the always-on convenience of a standard toolbar, while avoiding the need to resize the page image (slow), since you can quickly shove it out of the way of whatever you need to see.  I suspect the best compromise would use both: toolbar for high level features like Undo/Redo, radial popup for customizing brush heads.  But I will wait & see what you come up with!

Thanks,
-Richard

Messages In This Thread
RE: Feature Request: Enhanced Surface Pen Functionality in Annotaion Editor - by Richard Berg - 03-30-2019, 06:32 AM