• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MobileSheetsPro 1.7.2 Released (New Permissions Required)
MobileSheetsPro v1.7.2 was just submitted to the various app stores and it contains a frequently requested feature: the ability to have one tablet load songs and turn pages on other tablets.  You will now find a new option under the overflow menu on the library screen: Connect Devices. Upon choosing this option, you will be presented with a dialog where you can choose which type of connection you want to use. Both wifi and bluetooth are supported, and both have slightly different workflows.  

With wifi, all tablets must be connected to the same access point, and that access point must allow multicast traffic.  One tablet can create a named group, other tablets can join that group, and then the master tablet can load songs, setlists and turn pages on the others. You can control both whether the master will load songs/setlists and turn pages, as well as whether you will allow the master to load songs/setlists and turn pages on your device. This provides a little flexibility depending upon the needs of the group.  

With bluetooth, you must allow the tablet to access your location (this is a requirement for discovering bluetooth devices), and then enable bluetooth if needed. When a group is created, you must allow the device to be discoverable.  The device will only be made discoverable for two minutes in order not to consume power needlessly. During that two minutes, other tablets will be able to detect the master tablet and join its group. When searching for groups to join, the scan will only last 12 seconds. You can toggle the scan back on if needed, and you can also make the master discoverable again if needed.

In order to support the new features, several new permissions were added. This means that the update will not be automatically downloaded through Google Play. Users will have to go Google Play and authorize the new permissions when they update the app. The full list of changes in the update can be found below:

MobileSheetsPro v1.7.2
  • Added a new "Connect Devices" feature that lets one device load songs and turn pages on other connected devices
  • Added additional required permissions for the new connect devices feature
  • Fixed issue where automatic scrolling would stop after the first scroll on the last page of a song
  • Avoid duplicate songs now works when "Let MobileSheets Manage My Files" is disabled
  • Fixed issue where reordering songs in a loaded setlist didn't take effect until reloading the setlist
  • The MIDI tab of the song editor can now be scrolled on smaller devices
  • Added back the New button to the group selection dialog
  • Added new button on the textbox annotation window to insert symbols as text (♯, ♭, ♩, ♪, ♫, ♬)
  • Fixed display of new group input control on some devices
  • Fixed various reported crashes

I'm now going to work on adding all of these changes to the Windows side so that it will be possible to connect devices on both versions.

Mike
Just tested master/slave feature via Bluetooth and it is working really well on my Nexus devices.
Thanks a million for supporting this.
Where can I send you donation to buy you a beer?
I have been onto Google Play and whilst the blurb says you can now use one table to turn the pages on other tablets there is no Update button - only the Uninstall or Open buttons. Have I missed something?
Cedric
otnt - If you are feeling really generous, I do have a paypal account at mzuber23@hotmail.com, but I'm just happy to finally get you this feature as I know you've been patiently waiting for it for awhile now.

Cedric - That sounds like Google Play may not think you've purchased the app. First, have you verified what version you are currently running under Settings->About? Is it 1.7.0? Second, you need to go to your tablet settings->Accounts->Google, and make sure that you have the account you used to purchase MobileSheetsPro listed there. Also, verify that you see that same account listed at the top left of Google Play when you slide out the tray from the left side. Let me know if you need me to check any of your email accounts to verify which one has the purchase information under it.

Mike
Just released a quick update that I'm calling 1.7.2 with the same release notes. There was a problem with the automatic scrolling when using the "Scroll and Pause" behavior that I really wanted to get fixed.

Mike
(02-08-2017, 03:48 AM)Zuberman Wrote: otnt - If you are feeling really generous, I do have a paypal account at mzuber23@hotmail.com.

Mike

I was searching for donate button or for paypal.me link at http://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/ but found nothing.
I believe I am not the only one who appreciate your effort and would like to contribute for further development of this app.
You could perhaps facilitate these.
Thank you so much for the donation otnt! I'll have to see about adding a button to make that easier.

Mike
Thanks a lot!
That was a long time expected feature, and I supposed it was a hard work for you

I and my band are using for a long time now the midi program change feature, with leads through a midi hub
We just need to load the right song, as we have different score
It works well but it would be nice to do it with bluetooth

I just tested the new feature, and maybe there's something I'm missing, but whether I check or not the "turn pages" parameter, the master device always turn the pages of the slave, so it's not usable for us.

Is it normal?
It's a bug - I will get it fixed ASAP for the next update. Thanks for letting me know.

Mike
Excellent new feature, well done.
Perhaps I'm the only one who'd use it, but it would be nice if it could be used for devices with different page type displays, so turning pages on a single page master turned pages correctly on a two page slave and vice versa. For the latter (two page master, one page slave) you'd need another way to turn pages to the even numbered pages, perhaps by just tapping on that page (which is already displayed on the master).
MASSIVE! (Awesome)
Can't wait to try it out!
I could be wrong, it happened once before.
Mike,

will use this frequently, but haven´t succeeded making it work yet:
Two tablets are connected (Bluetooth), Samsung P900 is the Master, an Amazon Fire is the Slave.
It certainly looks fine in both Connect Devices dialogs.
However, nothing happens on the Slave when I turn pages on the Master (nor vice versa).
Did I miss a setting somewhere? Both check marks are set (turn pages, load songs).

Thanks!
Ben
Mike,  great news! 
Just tried around with connected devices but have difficulties to understand what the requirements are to find a song on the slave device.  Is it necessary to have identical titles and filenames? 
If so,  would it be possible to add e. g. song numbers or limit the search to titles? This would make life easier as not everybody uses the same source documents in our band. 
Thanks for your excellent work! 
Marc
It would also be perfect if connections could be automatically re-established
Ben - That's all that should be required assuming the tablets are connected and see each other on the "Connect Devices" dialog. How are you turning pages on the master? Are you just tapping with your finger to turn the page? That should definitely work. If the initial connection was successful (which you can tell if the slave device shows Connected next to the group name), then all further messages such as the page turn messages should work as well.

Have you tried using Wifi instead of bluetooth yet? It would be nice to know if you are only facing this problem with one connection type.

febus - For loading songs, identical titles and filenames must be present on each device. This is the only way I could ensure the correct song is loaded, as there a lot of cases where multiple songs may have the same title. I can certainly look into adding an option to load songs based solely on title instead of filename. In that case, I'll have to decide if I want to just load the first match found, or if I want to pop up a dialog asking which song to load (in cases where multiple matches are found). I'm not going to support automatically re-establishing connections. That could be problematic with bluetooth due to a number of actions that require user input, and constantly have to search for a potential connection would drain the battery on the device.

Thanks,
Mike