• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 bugs - text annotations & export
Question 
Discovered 2 bugs, the first serious, the second less so...

1) Text Annotations - Annotations with the text tool produce random formatting errors. Specific examples: choosing Bold or Italic sometimes produce the selected result but often doesn't. Sometimes the text as it appears "live" in the .pdf while typing in the input box shows differently than the selected formatting options.  I have to go back after saving and redo the result - often more than once - before I'm able to achieve the formatting I'd actually chosen. Additionally, using the "<" and ">" symbols to select the position of the cursor don't result in moving the cursor to the desired position but in turning the page forward or backward. Not the intention, of course. I believe there are more issues with text annotations... perhaps it would be good to examine this specific area carefully for interface probs?

2) Export - A minor bug, me thinks, maybe just on this box?
When exporting a file to Dropbox via the Share menu, the Export in Progress notification windows appears while the transfer is taking place (as it should) but ALWAYS remains at "0% complete" until the window closes (the export having completed). Again, not a disaster, but it would be good if the progress indication was accurate. Now, there's no way of knowing if the export is actually taking place or how much remains to be done.

"That's all, folks!"
Am I the only one experiencing this? This surely can't be the case - isn't anyone using this on Windows?
Hi Alan,

No, I haven't experienced that already, but only because I haven't used those particular functions yet!
But I do use the Windows version, and I do experience some bugs on my side too...
Sometimes the best way to address Mike with those is to send an email throught the application (Settings/About/Email Zubersoft)
I also share the <> /page turn problem
Personnaly I like to use the arrows for nudging instead of page turning because I always get caught even over time!
But I also learn to be patient because there is a lot of users asking for different things, also and still in the Android version (despite his wish to stop the support for MS Android AND Companion... and migrate all those users to Windows, as stated in December!)
I try to evaluate how much we are... growing but still only about 25%... I might be wrong.

Good luck, and nice to meet you!
Dominic
"...his wish to stop the support for MS Android AND Companion..." probably is a misunderstanding.
It is planned to end support for the old "green" MobileSheets.
MobileSheetsPro Android is to be continued and will be supported.
@Mike: could you please confirm my opinion. Thank you.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Well, thanks itsme for the precision!
In fact it is the old version that gets dropped, not the Pro version (I don't know why I though the Companion was dropped too)
Here's the December 5 2016 statement from Mike:
<<I’m going to be pulling the original MobileSheets for Android (the version released in 2011 with a green icon) off of the app store starting January 1, 2017. The newer MobileSheetsPro (which has a blue icon) is going to be the only Android version available after that. >>
My point here, in a Windows Discussion Group, is how can we get more support for that particular license we bought.
I am also owner of both versions, because the Android one is still more stable, but I wish to get rid of the emulation process, AND a better stable version... who wouldn't?
Anyways, I am sorry if I hurt you, I didn't mean to!
I am absolutely continuing to support MobileSheetsPro. Currently, 95% of my users are using MobileSheetsPro for Android and about 5% are using the Windows 10 version. I have no intention of trying to get users to switch versions. I just want to give users the ability to use the app on both operating systems.

I'm trying my best to continually support both versions. I'm basically going to be flipping back and forth between versions and releasing updates for each in order. My next planned update is going to be for Windows 10. The only time when I will release updates for both OS's at the same time is if I'm making changes that would break compatibility between the two versions (i.e. database changes). I know everyone wants updates as soon as possible for the version they are using. I appreciate your patience as I'm just a single developer working nights and weekends, so I can't deliver updates as fast as I would like. I'm also currently on vacation this week, so limited progress is being made on changes.

Mike
@domgi: what do you mean with "I wish to get rid of the emulation process"?
I think I have proposals for using the Win10 and the Android version in parallel, an easy one and a highly sophisticated, not so easy, but very flexible one.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Sorry Alan if we use your thread for another subject than yours...
Maybe we should switch that discussion elsewhere?

@itsme: I mean by emulation process the fact of having to use an emulator to run Android over Windows...
It takes forever to load, not as good and stable as a real native operating system, is expensive and has issues with some hardware of my laptop.
I did that in the first place because I wanted to use MobileSheets Pro with my convertible laptop that is a Windows machine, but that was before Mike released it on Windows Store.
I actually have no intention to run both versions even if I have two licences, except if I have stability problems (but Mike ALWAYS resolved the problems)
I see no interest in using Companions since I can manage everything from the app itself directly in Windows!
But thanks for the offer.

Dominic
Well, I don't mind if things take a turn to another valid discussion, but I do hope my reporting of important bugs doesn't get lost in the sauce Tongue
Thus, here is my original listing:

Discovered 2 bugs, the first serious, the second less so...

1) Text Annotations - Annotations with the text tool produce random formatting errors. Specific examples: choosing Bold or Italic sometimes produce the selected result but often doesn't. Sometimes the text as it appears "live" in the .pdf while typing in the input box shows differently than the selected formatting options. I have to go back after saving and redo the result - often more than once - before I'm able to achieve the formatting I'd actually chosen. Additionally, using the "<" and ">" symbols to select the position of the cursor don't result in moving the cursor to the desired position but in turning the page forward or backward. Not the intention, of course. I believe there are more issues with text annotations... perhaps it would be good to examine this specific area carefully for interface probs?

2) Export - A minor bug, me thinks, maybe just on this box?
When exporting a file to Dropbox via the Share menu, the Export in Progress notification windows appears while the transfer is taking place (as it should) but ALWAYS remains at "0% complete" until the window closes (the export having completed). Again, not a disaster, but it would be good if the progress indication was accurate. Now, there's no way of knowing if the export is actually taking place or how much remains to be done.

(03-15-2017, 07:24 AM)domgi Wrote: Sorry Alan if we use your thread for another subject than yours...
Maybe we should switch that discussion elsewhere?

@itsme: I mean by emulation process the fact of having to use an emulator to run Android over Windows...
It takes forever to load, not as good and stable as a real native operating system, is expensive  and has issues with some hardware of my laptop.
I did that in the first place because I wanted to use MobileSheets Pro with my convertible laptop that is a Windows machine, but that was before Mike released it on Windows Store.
I actually have no intention to run both versions even if I have two licences, except if I have stability problems (but Mike ALWAYS resolved the problems)
I see no interest in using Companions since I can manage everything from the app itself directly in Windows!
But thanks for the offer.

Dominic
Alan,

I'll see if I can reproduce any of issues you have described with text annotations. I may need to ask you some more questions if I struggle to reproduce the issues.

As for the problem with exporting, I currently try to send data in as few chunks as possible, as this is much more efficient than sending smaller chunks. I do try to ensure that for files over 4 MB in size, that I use a chunk size that will show some amount of progress. For example, for a 128 MB file, I use ~32 MB chunks, so you should see the upload progress increase by around 25% each time a chunk is successfully sent. If you are sending files smaller than 4MB, I send those in one chunk, so you won't see any progress. It will go from 0 to 100%. What size file are you uploading?

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,
Ask away, any questions happily answered :-)

Also, just checked - exported songs are, on the average, not large enough (less than 4MB) to initiate a progress bar, as you explained. I'll test exporting a file larger than 4MB and let you know if that shows upload progress. Thanks!

(03-15-2017, 05:05 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Alan,

I'll see if I can reproduce any of issues you have described with text annotations.  I may need to ask you some more questions if I struggle to reproduce the issues.

As for the problem with exporting, I currently try to send data in as few chunks as possible, as this is much more efficient than sending smaller chunks.  I do try to ensure that for files over 4 MB in size, that I use a chunk size that will show some amount of progress. For example, for a 128 MB file, I use ~32 MB chunks, so you should see the upload progress increase by around 25% each time a chunk is successfully sent.  If you are sending files smaller than 4MB, I send those in one chunk, so you won't see any progress. It will go from 0 to 100%.  What size file are you uploading?

Thanks,
Mike
I have a fix in place for the issue with < and > turning pages. This is because those are mapped to pedal actions by default (left arrow/right arrow, which is something most pedals send) and I didn't have code in place to ignore those keys when typing in text for a text annotation. Once the next update is released, you won't encounter this anymore. If you need a workaround for now, remove those key mappings in the pedal action settings.

I can't seem to reproduce any issues with changing text annotation properties and not seeing them reflected immediately. Are you changing the font? I've only been testing with the system default font. Some fonts like monospace don't support bold and italic, so if you toggle those on, nothing will happen. I should probably make the code smarter so that the buttons are disabled for fonts that don't support bold and/or italic.

Thanks,
Mike

UPDATE:
I did find another issue that could cause weird issues with whether fonts are bold or italic when selecting text annotations. If there are other properties you aren't seeing updated, that would remain a different issue still.
(03-19-2017, 09:05 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I have a fix in place for the issue with < and > turning pages. This is because those are mapped to pedal actions by default (left arrow/right arrow, which is something most pedals send) and I didn't have code in place to ignore those keys when typing in text for a text annotation.  Once the next update is released, you won't encounter this anymore. If you need a workaround for now, remove those key mappings in the pedal action settings.

I can't seem to reproduce any issues with changing text annotation properties and not seeing them reflected immediately. Are you changing the font? I've only been testing with the system default font.  Some fonts like monospace don't support bold and italic, so if you toggle those on, nothing will happen. I should probably make the code smarter so that the buttons are disabled for fonts that don't support bold and/or italic.

Thanks,
Mike

Yep, definitely using different fonts (san serif, condensed light, medium, etc.). I'll choose bold, but the text doesn't appear be bold while typing. After saving, sometimes it then appears as bold, but sometimes not.
Same with italic. However, when I go back after saving and reselect the text I wanted to be bold and select bold again, it will then sometimes become bold, although not always. It's really hit and miss. And I haven't even been drinking ;-)
In that case, I believe the issues should be fixed in the next update then.
(03-19-2017, 09:39 AM)Zuberman Wrote: In that case, I believe the issues should be fixed in the next update then.

Oh baby Big Grin Many, many thanks!