• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to Restore to Windows 10
(04-15-2017, 06:51 AM)Skip Wrote: Let's re-hash what you're trying to do.
Dell laptop with win 10.
  Load MSP
  Load Companion
  Back-up MSP with Companion using the Dell [Or from a different, 2nd, machine?]
  Restore backup using Companion on the Dell via wifi.

If this is the correct scenario, it cannot be done, wifi cannot connect, send/receive, with itself. Must be between separate machines. Use the regular back-up and restore within MSP on the Dell just like you would using a local location on an Android tablet.

I have MS on the Windows 10 laptop.

I am trying to restore (using the Companion) from my PC, just like a restore to my Android tablets.  It works fine when I restore to my tablets.

But, thinks so much for airing any ideas you have. 

Jeff
Do you have another win 10 computer available? If so, you might try it instead of the Dell laptop.
Have you been able to do a back-up from the laptop to the pc using MSP on the laptop as the starting point? The Companion as the starting point?
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(04-15-2017, 08:57 AM)Skip Wrote: Do you have another win 10 computer available? If so, you might try it instead of the Dell laptop.
Have you been able to do a back-up from the laptop to the pc using MSP on the laptop as the starting point? The Companion as the starting point?

Hmm, had not tried that. 

I started getting some other error message on the laptop, so I am in the process resetting/reinstalling Windows 10.

I'll let you know how it goes.  (When I first got the laptop, I did successfully load up MobileSheets and restore all me songs).

Jeff
Nope, even after full Windows reinstall, did not change anything. Stays at 1%.

When I get time I will try with another Windows 10 computer I have in the house.

Jeff
I don't know if it makes any difference, but do you have 'sharing' turned off?
Samsung S7+, Android 12
I will check that out and try on other computers. Thanks!

I would like to get more information how the IP address works to see if this is relevant?

I seem to recall I may have changed to a static router address (I only have one router).

My internet connection in the Laptop is fine. But, could something be different in terms of how the Companion works (on a PC) in connecting with the laptop?

(Sorry, I'm a little clueless).

Jeff
About all I know is the address, eg., 198.168.1.5 must match on the pc and the tablet when you sync them. If you're get a list of songs on the pc when you sync, it should be good to go, if not try a manual sync [look on the pc at the top dropdowns] and enter the one shown on the tablet.
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(04-18-2017, 08:29 AM)Skip Wrote: About all I know is the address, eg., 198.168.1.5 must match on the pc and the tablet when you sync them. If you're get a list of songs on the pc when you sync, it should be good to go, if not try a manual sync [look on the pc at the top dropdowns] and enter the one shown on the tablet.

OK, so that should not be the issue.

Could the fact that there is not SD card be relevant?  Pdfs would be stored on (5400) hard drive.

Jeff
I wouldn't think so, it wouldn't give you that option. You could try comparing the storage path between the pc-laptop and laptop internal restores an/or acquire an SD card and try.
You might try using a different backup file if you have one, or make one. Can you create and store a laptop backup file on the pc?
I wonder if MSP is using a file transfer or some kind remote control method for restoring.
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Just to give you a full flavor of what happens, It connects between the laptop (MS) and the PC (Companion). It seems to restore the the song names. At least these seem to show up on the laptop the first time I try to restore.

But, on the laptop, it does not show any data transferring beyond that. (I will go back and tell you exactly what it says).

On the PC, the Companion does not seems to show data transferring (the activity on the bottom of the Companion window). In terms of the percentage, it seems to site at 1% (but one time I did it, it seems to get stuck at 4%).

I could do it again and try to get you every detail.
So what you're seeing is a complete, functional, restore, without seeing any progress bar or percentage?

Have you tried the reverse, MSP on the pc- companion on the laptop and do a backup and restore?
Samsung S7+, Android 12
I will try and follow up.
Here is more info when I try to restore from the Companion (On Windows 7 Computer) to the Laptop with MS (Windows 10):

The computer and tablet definitely connect and I can see the list of songs in the Companion.

On Computer (Windows 7) is says:

Iniitalizing Restore and stays at 1% for a long time. I went back after about 45 minutes or so and, interestingly, it eventually got up to 4%. But, it disconnects at that point.

I think The Companion Computer said MB Remaining 637 (at least while it was at 1%).

The laptop seems to be working up to a point.

It says 2484224 bytes successfully sent for file

Restoring Cancel Do Not Cancel . . . it does not change from there.

I will now check on another (Windows 10) computer.
Update: It is working now

My guess is I needed some big updates for the OS and for the Microsoft App Store.

After letting the computer sit a long time while it updated (I thought it was frozen), I was able to update the app store.

Then I updated the MS app and I was able to restore the MS data file to my Windows 10 laptop. (I had tried doing this before.) So, seems to be working now with full database.

Jeff
Excellent, I'm glad to hear that.