• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help trying to batch import pdfs from PC
I just installed Mobilesheet into my Excite 13 (which seems to working well). I put in a 16 GB SD card, which the tablet has recognized (will be getting a larger one, but this should handle everything I have for now)

All my sheet music is on my PC in pdf format.

I probably do not want to bother for the PC companion. I will just use the tbalet for not on (although I would like to be able to have a simple back up of pdfs with embedded annotations--but that is not relevant now).

I can see the android external storage from my PC (I have connected both with a usb/microusb chord in order to avoid wifi issues).

But I can't see the PC hard drive from mobile sheets to import the files. (And when I try to copy all the folders and files into the Tablet drive, it won't let me).

Any thoughts? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Argh, very frustrated. Decided to install Mobile Sheet PC (and Windows NET 4.0). I figured maybe that is the easier way to go.

The computer and the tablet are not recognizing each other.
If I understand what you are trying to do, you are trying to import directly from your PC's drive from within MS? I am not sure this is possible.
If you do not want to use wireless/companion and have problems transferring to your tablet's drive before importing to MS (could be the total size of all the files), I have had success just using a USB flash drive. MS was able to navigate to it then import.
If you use Batch import window, I can tap on -mnt- and choose -usb_storage-.
For single songs, I usually choose my file manager (I use Astro) for navigation to the USB drive.

The import options - you want to have MS store its files on your ext SD card?
Copy PDF/Image files - yes check this
Copy files to ... removable storage
Delete original files - no (I like to keep the USB as a backup, can keep it with your tablet on gigs for any emergency)

Does this help?
(Try a few songs to test with.)
In Android Settings>Storage is where you unmount the USB drive
(06-23-2013, 07:39 AM)bumblebee Wrote: If I understand what you are trying to do, you are trying to import directly from your PC's drive from within MS? I am not sure this is possible.
If you do not want to use wireless/companion and have problems transferring to your tablet's drive before importing to MS (could be the total size of all the files), I have had success just using a USB flash drive. MS was able to navigate to it then import.
If you use Batch import window, I can tap on -mnt- and choose -usb_storage-.
For single songs, I usually choose my file manager (I use Astro) for navigation to the USB drive.

The import options - you want to have MS store its files on your ext SD card?
Copy PDF/Image files - yes check this
Copy files to ... removable storage
Delete original files - no (I like to keep the USB as a backup, can keep it with your tablet on gigs for any emergency)

Does this help?
(Try a few songs to test with.)
In Android Settings>Storage is where you unmount the USB drive

Thanks so much for responding.

Well, I am trying to do this various ways.

My first thought was to do exactly like you said. But I don't the right usb to micro USB adapted to get the data from the USB to the Android (Actually, it is in the process of being shipped to Amazon). So, maybe that would have worked, so I tried other things that I though should work.

I connected the PC directly to the usbe via a cable (I do have) that has micro USB male on one side (for the Android) and regular USB on the other.

I thought this would work because the Android extrenal SD card I installed (yes, I want everything on that card) was being recognized by my PC.

But when I tried various way to copy/paste or drag the files (with subfiles) containig the pdfs, it gave me various error messages. One error was that, for each pdf is encountered it said it was incompatible with my tablet. [Hmmm, maybe because it is in pdf X-Change format? Hmm, maybe I will try to save them as pdf files as see if that makes a difference).

Then I tried to do a batch import via the PC Companion, but the PC and the Android are no recognizing each other through this.

So, that's where I am.

Any other thoughts are welcomed. [I will also try to converting a few of the files from pdf X-change to pdf and see if that effects anything].

Jeff
if you get it recognizing PDF, then you can copy to tablet (anywhere) then get MS to delete the files as it imports it to your ext SD card.
(06-23-2013, 07:57 AM)bumblebee Wrote: if you get it recognizing PDF, then you can copy to tablet (anywhere) then get MS to delete the files as it imports it to your ext SD card.

Nope, it keeps sayings its not the type of file supported by the device. Then it suggests I may be able to use Winodws Media Player to convert it the file to a playable type prior to tranfer.
is the suffix, PDF?
I presume you tried normal PDFs?
it sounds like it is expecting an audio/video file. Are you using a specific application to try to transfer the files? or just from the 'desktop' or android file transfer application?
or trying to put the files into a media (audio/video) folder?
what happens with a jpg?
Just trying to either drag or cut and paste. I do nto think I am trying to move to it any media file. It does nto seem to matter which folder on the tablet I try to move it to.

Yes, the suffix is pdf.

So, neither method is working.

I can't get the PC Companion and the tablet to recognize each other over wi fi (even though both are connected to internet through my wi fi (with no firewall).

When I try to transfer files through a usb cable, even though my PC shows the "external memory" (SD Card) in my tablet, it won't let me transfer files.

Interesting. This seems on point (at least as to the transfer over usb):

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech...d-devices/

I tried changing the extension to mp3 and the transferring it. After a while it gave me a diffrerent error message: "it does not exist or is being used by another program".
I wonder if you have some kind of security setting on, so nothing can be transferred?
Have you another file transfer application on your PC?
Can you take out the tablet's SD card and connect it to your computer directly so you can put in the files?
OKay, so I transferred all my pdf files to another (newer) computer. Then I hooked that up to the tablet.

I was not able to transfer any files to the external SD card. I think there is a problem with the SD card, most likely that it was not formatted Fat 32. So, that (along with the old laptop) might explain the problems transferring the pdfs to my tablet.

I was able to transfer a pdf to the internal card on the tablet. And it shows up and is looking good.

I would like to reformat the sd card. It shows up on the Excite, but apparently no data can be loaded into it. Anyone know how to reformat is so I can use it (I don;t care about losing anyu data on it).

[I think the problem with the PC Companion is the old OS in the laptop. I don't really want to us PC companion anyway.

So, I guess I have to wait until I get the new SD card (and hope it works okay).

Any guidance you can give on how to reformat this SD Card to be compatible with the excite and (more importantly) how to make sure the new SDXC card I ordered will work is appreciated.

Thanks!
(06-23-2013, 11:55 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: I would like to reformat the sd card.
You could try formatting on the PC (right-click, format?)
There is probably a way to format it on your tablet, did you check in Settings>Storage (might need to be unmounted to get the format option)
Of course the card might be faulty.

(06-23-2013, 11:55 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: I think the problem with the PC Companion is the old OS in the laptop. I don't really want to us PC companion anyway.
It is quite good using the companion as you can add other data to specific songs, I find it quick to type using the computer. I have had it running on my old XP computer. Is there a reason you do not want to use it? If you are having problems with it, post the details here and Mike will look at the problem. He likes to have all the bugs fixed Smile

(06-23-2013, 11:55 AM)jeffn1 Wrote: So, I guess I have to wait until I get the new SD card (and hope it works okay).
SD cards are probably not as reliable as internal memory. I have a tablet specific for my music and use internal.

reference for anyone else reading this thread:
http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...86#pid1886
related to formatting an SD card
Hmmm, do most people use internal memory.

I have a decent amount of pdf sheet already and that still only amounts to about 325 mb (well under a single GB) and the tablet comes with 64 GB (I'll gues at least 50 GB usable).

Yes, I am curious if most people just use the internal memory (if I go that route I could set everything up right away). The instructions seem to recomment

In manual references 3 options: "Internal; Storage", "SD Card" and "Removable Storage". I am confused about the distinction between "SD Card" and "Removable Storage" (the instructions say "Removable Storage" is usually and external SD card.

So, I guess the "SD Card" option is the space provided on the tablet by default?

If that is the default option generally recommended, I guess would just use that.
internal - hidden from user - so you cannot get in there and change anything Smile
sd card - uses internal physical memory (as above) but you have access to the files. It means you can connect to your PC or USB drive and transfer files directly in to there, or copy some to a USB drive for someone using a file manager. However you are doing this outside MS so it could potentially get confused if you start playing around with the structure of the folders, file names etc.
Removable storage is external SD card.
(see the manual, at time of writing, page 14)

Yes you can have large numbers of PDFs and they do not take up much room. If you are scanning probably about 150 to 200 dpi is sufficient (run some tests, especially as you have a 13 inch) and music vector PDFs are very small.
ref: http://zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/forum/...hp?tid=179
Okay I got everything up and running and batch loaded all my songs using the internal memory (hopefully the problem was the card/formatting, not the Excite's SD Card port).

Everything seems to be working very well.

Thanks for creating this excellent software!

Jeff