• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Searching on Page Number Field within a Collection
Hi. I am a new user of this program (v. 1.9.0) and have been using it to store collections of sheet music from ukulele club songbooks. I have either imported the books as a single PDF and split the PDF using the Create Snippet feature (about 40 pages in that collection), or scanned the book as a collection of separate documents (mostly one or sometimes 2 pages, over 250 pages in that collection). 

All  going well, except when in comes to searching for a song by Page Number within a collection.   (In the Page Number field in Editor I have given each song a page number according to its page number in the original book.) 

When searching by collection/page number under ‘Songs’, the results seem to list every song whose page number contains those digits, in alphabetical rather than page number order.  This is okay if you know the name of the song as well as the page number, but in club situations we often only get told the page number for a quick search.  Searching under ‘Recent’, the songs are in order of page number - but with a limit of 500 songs in ‘Recent’, this could ultimately be of limited value. I would like to see the song with the precise page number I am searching for appear at the top of the list rather than buried in a long alphabetical listing. Perhaps there is a simple setting I am unaware of to fix this??

There seems to be a further problem with searching for single-digit page numbers in a longer collection. In my almost-300 page collection, typing in a single-digit page number brings up all the 2- and 3- digit numbered songs containing that digit, but not the single-digit song itself. Any suggestions??

Help much appreciated!
I have my multisong pdf's in 'Albums' where the sorting by pages entered as 'Custom' works ok. I think you can move/copy a collection to albums by a long press on the collection>copy song>de-select 'collections'>select 'albums'>'new'>ok>ok. I haven't tried this and it may not work with the way you did your songs, so.....
Collections seems to work more for personal groupings of material whereas albums seems to be more for other folks, imported, stuff.

I used a csv file to list the songs separately. Took awhile to figure out how to make the file but it works quite well.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
If you want to search by a number, it might make sense to try the Sort->Numerically option (tap the sort option at the top of the screen when viewing the Songs tab). This will work well if you put the number at the beginning of the song title. It may still work if it's located elsewhere in the title so long as there aren't other numbers earlier in the title.

As for the searching issue, I'll have to look into that. That sounds like a bug if you can't search for a single digit.

Mike
Thanks Skip and Mike. I will investigate the suggested options and see how they work.
Maxikiwi; I went back and played with more songs with the page number in the 'custom' field. Results were the same with the songs in 'Albums' as yours until I used 'Sort' [top of screen]> 'Custom' instead of A-Z or Numerical. It put the 3 songs [2 - A and 1 B] in numerical order, 6B-16Av-26Al. I used the additional filters [circle/triangle] >custom>albums for this.
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Skip - great, thanks for playing around with this to find a solution. It's logical, I guess. Haven't tried it yet but will do.

Mike, regarding the single digit issue, the song with single digit page number will appear in the results (in alphabetical not numerical order) when there are only single or double digit numbers in the collection, but not when there are 100+ page numbers in the collection. That was my experience with a 280-page collection.
(08-26-2017, 12:16 AM)Skip Wrote: Maxikiwi; I went back and played with more songs with the page number in the 'custom' field. Results were the same with the songs in 'Albums' as yours until I used 'Sort' [top of screen]> 'Custom' instead of A-Z or Numerical. It put the 3 songs [2 - A and 1 B] in numerical order, 6B-16Av-26Al. I used the additional filters [circle/triangle] >custom>albums for this.

Hi Skip. I tried this and it works. Unfortunately I have previously entered page number values in the 'Page Number' field (rather than 'custom' field) for hundreds of songs. Do you know of any way to change this without editing the fields for each and every song??
That may be tough for me to test then, as I don't really have my library set up like that. I'll see what I can do...
Maxikiwi:
Since I don't find a 'page number field' in 'song edit' are you talking about the one in the 'create snippet' popup or something else? The 'page [snippet]/page order [edit>file]' fields are to id the pdf page(s) and their order, not the book/album page. They may also, occasionally, indicate the book/album page depending on how the pdf was made.
I think you will have to do them one at a time. I'm planning on doing some of mine also since I have one group I play with calling out book/album pages along with titles, which I sometimes miss. I've got 100's also but I'll start with the most used and do them when I'm just sitting around relaxing. Smile
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(08-27-2017, 02:28 AM)Skip Wrote: Maxikiwi:
Since I don't find a 'page number field' in 'song edit' are you talking about the one in the 'create snippet' popup or  something else? The 'page [snippet]/page order [edit>file]' fields are to id the pdf page(s) and their order, not the book/album page. They may also, occasionally, indicate the book/album page depending on how the pdf was made.
I think you will have to do them one at a time. I'm planning on doing some of mine also since I have one group I play with calling out book/album pages along with titles, which I sometimes miss. I've got 100's also but I'll start with the most used and do them when I'm just sitting around relaxing. Smile

Sorry, I forgot that I originally renamed the 'custom group' field within editor to 'page number', and may have created some confusion by omitting to mention this. I realise that the page order field within 'create snippet' refers to the pdf page order and not the book/album page - thanks.

I will do as you suggest just moving the page numbers from 'custom group' field to 'custom' field one song at a time, when I have time!Undecided

Thanks for your help.
You're welcome and good luck.
I added page numbers [plus some additional album housecleaning] to a couple hundred songs yesterday in just a few hours.
Samsung S7+, Android 12