• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metronome behaviour
Just a small thought about the metronome's visual appearance, which has always been a tiny bit disturbing to me. Not sure if everyone would agree, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this..

I often use the metronome in the "visual only" setting, to check the tempo of a piece right before a concert performance for example. After counting four beats, all four metronome dots are cleared (in between the beats) before the first beat is again visualized by the reappearance of the first dot. I'm always a little put off by this extra visual step, and find it makes it actually harder to catch the beat accurately. For me, it would seem better if the three last dots were simply cleared when the first beat was reached again, so that I wouldn't get that extra "double beat" after every fourth beat. Any thoughts?
That used to worry me a little as well - although the count is accurate, it is a little confusing visually (but nothing like as confusing as it was at initial release).  

I use the metronome as you do - to check that I'm counting in at the right tempo.  To overcome this minor visual problem, I simply changed the setting from "LED" to "Circle".  By doing this, you will lose the accent on the downbeat, but that's really not important.  In fact, I find it easier, since I can make any beat the first one.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I'm having an extremely hard time visualizing what y'all are discussing. The count to me is pretty simple, markers 1-4 are at a steady pace [4/4 timing], with the 5th marker another one count. In other words, all the markers taken in order, as a group, one, two three, four, regardless of the them being on or off singly or grouped. Making the suggested change would be really confusing to me until I adapted because it would seem to me a count was missing. To me it would be simpler to have a single, blinking, marker, at speed, with no 'chain' displayed.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(10-01-2017, 01:09 AM)Skip Wrote: To me it would be simpler to have a single, blinking, marker, at speed, with no 'chain' displayed.

Which is exactly what my proposal gives you.
Graeme

Some of my music here
I don't know what happened but the first time I looked at this I had circles selected and it reacted the same as the led choice, four circles in order then repeat. It doesn't do that now, just the single pulsing circle, which is good. I guess Mike has included magic in his continuing quest to provide timely fixes. Smile
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
(10-02-2017, 01:10 AM)Skip Wrote: I don't know what happened but the first time I looked at this I had circles selected and it reacted the same as the led choice, four circles in order then repeat. It doesn't do that now, just the single pulsing circle, which is good. I guess Mike has included magic in his continuing quest to provide timely fixes. Smile

It's nothing new, I've been using this metronome mode for years.  It's strange it didn't work for you first time around, but it sounds as though you're good to go now.
Graeme

Some of my music here
The initial described visual LED representation also disturbs me and makes the 1. beat harder to catch. I checked many times - the counting is accurate but it just does not feel that way...

As I like the representation of the different beats it would be nice to really just have the last three bars cleared upon reaching beat 1 again.

Perhaps it would be also good to see a "big" colored changing number on each beat say in the upper left corner indicating: 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2.... perhaps with the option to give the first beat a different color (say red) to make it stand out even when not really watching the number closely....
I've changed the implementation to match what you are describing with the LEDs. You can see if you like it better with the next update. As for the big colored changing number, I'm going to need more feedback on that before moving forward with anything. 

Thanks,
Mike