• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Page Flip doesn't work anymore
Yesterday I updated my Google Nexus 10 tablet to Android 4.3. After that the bluetooth pedal doesn't work at all. The tablet shows that it is paired and the pageflip has the flashing light also indicating that it is paired. However, no matter how many times I press either pedal no pages turn. I've read about bluetooth going to sleep, but if that's the case nothing I do is waking it back up. I unpaired the devices and repaired, I've reset the pageflip, nothing helps. Please let me know what to do or if this is a known bug with the new android version.
(08-01-2013, 05:42 AM)FMPiano Wrote: Yesterday I updated my Google Nexus 10 tablet to Android 4.3. After that the bluetooth pedal doesn't work at all. [...] Please let me know what to do or if this is a known bug with the new android version.

From I've read, this is almost certainly due to changes in Android 4.3, though it's arguable whether we can call it a bug; it's more of a reimplementation. For example,

Quote:Until now, Bluetooth wasn't part of the core Android stack and it was up to individual device makers to implement it in their own way. This caused problems for application developers. With Bluetooth 4.0 baked into the core of the platform, app developers should see many of their headaches go away.
(source = http://www.informationweek.com/mobility/.../240158936)

If this is what's going on, there will probably be issues with any Bluetooth devices on Android 4.3 until app authors have an opportunity to rework their code.

- Steven
This issue is widespread it appears: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues...l?id=58202

If you are able to rename the file as described in the post on that page (Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl) this may fix it, but I'm not sure if that requires root privileges or not. Hopefully Google will have more information soon.

Mike
Renaming that file is beyond my technical ability. That thread acts like you know what you're doing. It doesn't even say what to rename the file to.

Is this problem something that only Google can fix? We were hoping to be able to use the combination of Tablet, mobile sheets, and page turning device in a professional concert environment, but when stuff like this happens it makes you feel you can't rely on these things and have to go back to the old method of printed sheets on a music stand.

(08-01-2013, 06:06 PM)Zuberman Wrote: This issue is widespread it appears: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues...l?id=58202

If you are able to rename the file as described in the post on that page (Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl) this may fix it, but I'm not sure if that requires root privileges or not. Hopefully Google will have more information soon.

Mike
(08-02-2013, 05:56 AM)FMPiano Wrote: We were hoping to be able to use the combination of Tablet, mobile sheets, and page turning device in a professional concert environment, but when stuff like this happens it makes you feel you can't rely on these things and have to go back to the old method of printed sheets on a music stand.

As someone with many years of experience of the use of computers in the musical environment. Over the years, I have been extremely reluctant to tamper with any working system, even minor changes can have unexpected and sometime disastrous results.

I would suggest that the real answer here is a corollary of the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Why did you upgrade what was a working system?

As a 'fix', simply go back to the version you were using.

Forgot to say, if you want to try renaming the file they are talking about, here is the information: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...stcount=19
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
These tablets and smartphones download updates automatically. You don't appear to have much choice in the matter.

As for not tampering with systems that work, are you using the latest version of mobile sheets or some ancient version that worked so you never upgraded since?

Going back to the previous version of android requires far more expertise than I have. In fact, it looks to be quite a difficult procedure if even possible for non gurus.

(08-02-2013, 08:46 AM)GraemeJ Wrote:
(08-02-2013, 05:56 AM)FMPiano Wrote: We were hoping to be able to use the combination of Tablet, mobile sheets, and page turning device in a professional concert environment, but when stuff like this happens it makes you feel you can't rely on these things and have to go back to the old method of printed sheets on a music stand.

As someone with many years of experience of the use of computers in the musical environment. Over the years, I have been extremely reluctant to tamper with any working system, even minor changes can have unexpected and sometime disastrous results.

I would suggest that the real answer here is a corollary of the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Why did you upgrade what was a working system?

As a 'fix', simply go back to the version you were using.
I definitely understand where you are coming from. There should be a setting in the tablet options to disable having them push OS updates (all of my devices seem to give me a choice when they want to install something major like that). Ultimately, Google should not have had such a major regression in regards to the bluetooth functionality between updates. They are trying to position the OS to meet current and future needs, which I fully sympathize with, but things always seem to be in a state of flux.

I'm sure Google will release a fix fairly soon, as this will impact a lot of users. I wish I had a workaround in the meantime, but this one is out of my hands.

Mike
Yep, its a big problem because you can be so dependent on things working that it has the potential to mess up an important show, etc. [I am still to nervous to shut off my tablet because I lost everything last time I did it].

I guess that is one of the reasons I would like a feature that allows you to save all annotations embedded in each pdf so I can just save the pdfs (with the embdded annotations) on a laptop just in case there is a problem with mobile sheets.
I always have two tablets and carry them in separate cases most of the time. Both with the same music and both charged ready to go. Unfortunately they are the same model (I could not afford any other back then, but I will eventually have a newer one and take one of each kind. This way if there is an OS update it will probably only be done on one of them, etc.)
My main music tablet does not have many apps in it, basically it is solely devoted to gigs, and I have wireless off and manually turn it on for any updates, then off again.
I am not sure I would ever rely on only one tablet if it is as crucial as a concert. And I often take a box of the printed music in the car also.
I expect in a year or so the batteries might not hold charge, so taking the power or portable USB power supply would be essential soon.

Sometimes I just go with paper as I used to Smile
(08-02-2013, 09:08 AM)FMPiano Wrote: These tablets and smartphones download updates automatically. You don't appear to have much choice in the matter.

I'm a relatively newcomer to Android devices. I don't have a phone and at the moment I only have one tablet, with another larger one on its way. The one tablet I do have has never updated the OS(and I am sure there have been plenty of updates in the year plus that I've had it) so I would have thought there would be some way of turning off automatic updates - although, as a fairly new user, I'm not positive about that and I've never investigated the possibility (maybe I should Smile ). If it can't be done, then that is a definite flaw in the system.

(08-02-2013, 09:08 AM)FMPiano Wrote: As for not tampering with systems that work, are you using the latest version of mobile sheets or some ancient version that worked so you never upgraded since?

I'm an even newer user of MS, the only version I have ever used is the current one. As I'm not using it in a 'live' situation yet (that's what the new tablet is for) I'm happy to upgrade, as long as there are things in the upgrade that I want or need. That said, it pretty much does what I need as it is.

When I do go live with it, as long as it works, then I certainly would not do any sort of upgrade on the software and hardware that is in daily use. At the very least, I would fire up another tablet and play around first, to ensure that it would not break the working system - should I even decide the upgrade was worth installing. Basically, if it does what I want now, I see little need to take the risk, but that depends on what changes are in the pipeline.

(08-02-2013, 09:08 AM)FMPiano Wrote: Going back to the previous version of android requires far more expertise than I have. In fact, it looks to be quite a difficult procedure if even possible for non gurus.

Not knowing that much about Android, I can't comment on that. However, the renaming of the iffy file looks to be no more difficult than it would be with a Windows or Mac machine.
Graeme

1: Samsung 12.2" SM-P900: Android 5.0.2 
2: eSTAR GRAND HD Quad-Core 4G 10.2": Android 5.1 
3: Home-built BT pedal

Some of my music here
I upgraded my Nexus 10 to 4.3 today, paired my tablet with the Cicada PageFlip and had no problems whatsoever. Did you try forgetting the pairing, and then doing it again?
(08-05-2013, 10:10 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I upgraded my Nexus 10 to 4.3 today, paired my tablet with the Cicada PageFlip and had no problems whatsoever. Did you try forgetting the pairing, and then doing it again?

Sorry, I didn't see any of these last replies until today. I must have messed up my email subscription alert to new postings.

I am really stunned that your pageflip is working fine with the Nexus 10. Mine is all screwed up still. We're both using a Nexus 10, Android 4.3, latest version of mobilesheets, and a pageflip so why does yours work and mine not?

The pageflip pairs fine to the Nexus. That's not the problem. Unpairing, rebooting, repairing makes no difference. One odd thing I noticed is that if I use mode 4 on the pageflip I can get the pages to turn, but the pedals are reversed! So in mode 4 the left pedal advances a page and the right pedal turns back a page. None of the other modes do anything at all.

Any ideas why this would be happening? Has there been a minor upgrade to Android that I may not have got yet? My about tablet also gives this info:
Kernel version 3.4.39-g44c9cf
Build number JWR66V

I am still stuck in this frustrating situation.
I'm currently away on business travel for my day job. When I get come, I'll look into this and see if I can notice any differences. I did download the latest update for 4.3 from Google (they released one last week I believe). I'm really sorry that you are experiencing all these problems though.
Hey, Mike. I noticed something yesterday that might be relevant to this. When I go back into a collection (or maybe it was a full song list), the Cicada switches function to scrolling the list.

Maybe this change from turning pages to scrolling the song/collection list causes the disconnect when you go into a new song. Maybe if you disabled that function that would take care of the problem of it losing a connection (or whatever happens) when you go into a new song.
That isn't a function I wrote any code to support. All that is happening there is that you are sending up/down arrow commands and the Android OS is interpreting this as meaning you want to scroll the list. I wasn't even aware you could scroll the list using the pedal. I'm going to have to try that out Smile

Mike