• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
progress bar for automatic scrolling
So I can see one small problem with this. With a text editor, the entire file is usually buffered into memory so that it understands the entire content of the file. It then renders this as necessary based upon the current settings in the editor, taking into account word wrapping, line endings, etc. So if you scroll down a certain portion of the pages, it knows exactly where you are in relation to all the pages, because it's already buffered those into memory. With MobileSheetsPro, if you have a 500 page document, I don't load all 500 pages into memory (there wouldn't even be enough memory on most devices for that). I load only a small number of pages into memory. So if I wanted to provide a scroll bar that could tell you how far you are through the document, it would be slightly innaccurate. What I would probably have to do is divide up the available height of the scroll bar by the number of pages in the entire song. I would then know how much vertical space would be allocated for each page. As the current page is being scrolled, I can offset the scroll bar by percentages of the allocated space for a single page, so that part should be accurate enough. The reason this approach is slightly inaccurate is that it makes the assumption that every page has the exact same height as I'm allocating the same amount of vertical space in the scroll bar for each page.  This may not matter for most cases though - as long as you have a general idea of how far you are through the song, that's probably good enough.

I'll have to think about the countdown indicator some more. The statement you made that the "color would also shrink downwards" is a little confusing to me in terms of the actual implementation. Are you suggesting the color would fade out or something along those lines? Another idea would be to use color changes to indicate that the scroll is about to occur. Like blink the scrollbar blue several seconds before the scrolling is about to start and then blink a different color one second before it's going to trigger (like green or a different shade of blue). I'm not sure what is best.

Mike

Messages In This Thread
RE: progress bar for automatic scrolling - by Zubersoft - 04-08-2018, 02:46 AM