• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confusing SwapFile
Hi

I find the "this file already exists, do you want to replace or rename it" dialogue confusing.
To me, it seems unnecessary as I have already told it that I want to swap the file i.e I want to change the file insitu

Thinking about it, I suppose someone might want to swap a file (existing Setlists will then reference the new version) while still retaining an old copy of the song on the tablet - but I can't see this being used often

Perhaps the dialog needs to be reworded so that Replace is the typical option and explaining why one might choose Rename?

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I use MSP to hold a library of folk tunes.  Usually additions are edited versions of an existing entry, i.e. a replacement, but it's not uncommon to add a tune and find there is already another, different, one with the same title (especially with Irish and Swedish tunes). Similarly, I'd often want to add the same tune in a different key, or with a different arrangement.  The option to retain one and rename the other is useful in these cases.
You just importing the same file multiple times? If so, MobileSheetsPro doesn't know if you are trying to update an existing song or if you are importing a new file and are unaware that you already have a file in your library with that name. So all of the options make sense. That's why the explicit swap file feature is there, or you can tap the option to update the existing song with the new file. I'm going to be reworking the options that are shown in that dialog in one of the updates to make things a little clearer as this seems to be a point of confusion for many users.

Mike
@Mike:

I am using swapfile to replace an identically named file (song); so I wouldn't expect to see a replace/rename dialog.

If I had just used an import then yes, it should ask me what I want to do. 

Obviously, this isn't anything major or urgent. It is nice to know that others seem to be confused as well!

@bazza: I see what you are saying but, in my case, I never want to retain the previous version (if I did, I would have performed a different operation)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
Is this a problem just with the companion app? I can't seem to reproduce that at all. If I use the swap file feature to replace an identically named file, it never prompts me to replace or rename anything. I may need a combination of settings and steps to reproduce that if you are seeing that, as I'm not sure how that is happening.

Thanks,
Mike
Maybe you like to consider my workflow (it may change when Mike implements the sync features).

I manage my sheets myself (not automatically by MS), saved on an external SD card (for space reasons). 

I use Dropbox/Dropsync to keep the sheets on three mobile devices in sync (1 mobile, 1 Android tablet, 1 Surface Pro). Obviously I have Dropbox on my Windows PCs, too.

So when I edit a sheet (mostly on a PC), it will be synced to all devices. If the name isn't changed you don't have to change something in MSP. You only have to regard if the changes in the sheet may influence some annotations if you have any (page changes, other size of the notation, whatever).

Mike, I think it would be useful to give MSP some more rudimentary file managing capabilities. I don't think of sophisticated stuff or a blown-up GUI but maybe just an option to rename or move a sheetfile from within with direct adjustment in the MSP db. Maybe just some additional menu like "filemanager" with submenus swap, move and rename (I don't think copy functions are necessary since it should be for file manipulation for sheets already in the db).
I have written up some enhancement requests in the bug tracking system for adding some more file management options. So it's definitely on the list of things to do.

Mike
@Mike

I'm not doing anything special:
  1. Run Companion and connect
  2. Right click in Companion Songs and choose file
  3. Swap File
  4. Browse PC / Select file to use.
Having said that, I've just tried it again and I get a completely different dialog - this one is titled "Confirm File Swap" (and probably the one you are seeing); wish I'd noted what the other one was titled (that just provided replace or rename as options)

Probably best to just ignore this thread for now and I'll repost if/when it reoccurs (or I find what I did differently to what I remembered I did)

@BRX:  Thanks for the tips but, at the moment, I'm trying to keep off DropBox (although I may go down that route at some point).

Cheers

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
No need to use Dropbox. You can use any cloud provider sync, or your NAS if you want of course. Resilio Sync is also a pretty great software for all platforms for syncing without 3rd party servers. I just wanted to show the principle of it.
Just tried another swapfile

1) Companion connected via wifi
2) Selected "Happiness [G]" in Songs List
3) Right click, Swap File
4) Confirm "File Swap"
Existing Song  "Happiness [G].pdf"
New File "Happiness [G].pdf"
Checked: Delete if not used by other songs
OK
5) File "Happiness [G].pdf" already exists
A file with the same name already exists in the destination. What would you like to do?
Replace/Rename/Cancel
(this is the dialogue I want to bypass)

Cheers
Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
(05-03-2018, 01:38 AM)BRX Wrote: Maybe you like to consider my workflow (it may change when Mike implements the sync features).

I manage my sheets myself (not automatically by MS), saved on an external SD card (for space reasons). 

I use Dropbox/Dropsync to keep the sheets on three mobile devices in sync (1 mobile, 1 Android tablet, 1 Surface Pro). Obviously I have Dropbox on my Windows PCs, too.

So when I edit a sheet (mostly on a PC), it will be synced to all devices. If the name isn't changed you don't have to change something in MSP. You only have to regard if the changes in the sheet may influence some annotations if you have any (page changes, other size of the notation, whatever).

Mike, I think it would be useful to give MSP some more rudimentary file managing capabilities. I don't think of sophisticated stuff or a blown-up GUI but maybe just an option to rename or move a sheetfile from within with direct adjustment in the MSP db. Maybe just some additional menu like "filemanager" with submenus swap, move and rename (I don't think copy functions are necessary since it should be for file manipulation for sheets already in the db).

How do you handle your mobilesheets.db?
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de