• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Information for beta testing library sync feature
Just tried lastest beta version and I can't select/see any song in Select Song to Use popup window, only the title….

Tablet: Surface Pro 8, 
Other: Strich BT-FP2, USB-MIDI connection to Kurzweil Forte 7
Is that the Windows or Android version that isn't displaying anything for you to pick? 

Thanks,
Mike

UPDATE:
I've tested with both Android being the server and Windows 10 being the server when there are two songs with identical titles/files and I always see selections, so I'll need help reproducing what you are seeing.

UPDATE 2:
You must have songs with the same title but different file names. There is a bug with that that I'm going to fix right now.
I've uploaded v2.2.2 with fixes for duplicate titles but different file names, along with some more improvements in handling various combinations of actions related to songs with identical titles and/or files. You can now choose to create a new song instead of picking one of the matching songs in case that is the desired outcome.

Mike
Installed the new version on "note" (server) and "asus" (client)
On client, cleared the library.
On server, initiated a sync to client.
For a while, transfer proceeds normally.
Then the server starts asking to "Select Song to Use".

This happens when transferring setlists. Apparently the songs (there are two with this title in the database) are transferred correctly but the relation Setlist <-> Song was broken.
Many questions like this follow, for every non-unique song in every setlist.

Finally, the server reports a connection error and a success message, and disconnects / waits for the client to finish.

The client reports succesfull receipt of the database, followed by a connection error / transfer failed.
It disconnects, leaving the server waiting forever. (I assume, there is no completion message of some sort on the server.)

"Settings" > "Find missing files" on the client reports 1656 songs with 697 total missing files.

Logfiles attached.

Mike, if you want to reproduce this, the library on the server was almost exactly the library backup I sent you a couple of days ago.

Attached Files
.zip   logs1.zip (Size: 30.15 KB / Downloads: 2)
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).
The folder settings bug on my W10 desktop is fixed.

Sidenote: Maybe you can put the PC sync and the library sync in the same menu "Sync". I think it makes sense (and I accidentally have clicked on PC sync instead of library sync three times already :-) )
Using latest beta (2.2.2) I've tried these scenarios:

1) Client (Lumia 950, Win10 mobile) with empty database, server (Acer notebook(Win10, April update) set to Update Client and Use data from the song that was modified last (other settings untouched). I get one popup window fo selecting a song. I wouldn't expect this considering one device has empty database so there shouldn't be any matching files even if "Use data from the song that was modifield last" and not 'Always use server' is used. Also after sync server reported succesful merging of files and waiting for client to finish but client showed error it can't create one of transfered files.  database was created on client showing all files but apparently none of the files was transfered to client (storage set to default win10 folder) maybe because of error mentioned before. Speed seems to be ok considering size of my database and files - about 1 hour for about 3200 songs and 700 MB of files (but none of the files seems to be transfered). There was a jump from about 75% to 100% of sync status. 

2) Same as before but changed storage location on client to SD card, screen set to always on. Same file showed in popup windows.  It seems both client and server ignored keep always screen on (maybe some Win10 version bug?).  This time there wasn't transfer error. There was jump from 75% of Overall sync status to 104% when sending of files to client started. After few file were transfered, server crashed and closed without any warning.

One idea - it might be good to add option "While Syncing" and "While Vieving Scores and Syncing" to Keep Screen On. 

Attached is log from server, don't know how to get it from Win10 mobile as I don't have access to MobileSheet LocalState folder...

Also one question: How big is impact of CPU of server on whole sync process? MSP used about 30-35% of CPU during whole sync. Is there any way how to use more CPU power? RAM usage was about 2 GB from 8 GB so this doesn't seem to be a limit.

Attached Files
.zip   log server.zip (Size: 71.36 KB / Downloads: 1)

Hi Mike,

I have just updated to the latest Beta versions and tried a sync between my Windows 10 and Android devices.

The sync failed at 21% when it came to the song "Perfect", which also has a MP3 music track attached to it. I remember that MP3s won't work on the Android version, so should they be error trapped or ignored when a Sync is taking place????

Cheers
John.

.txt   log.txt (Size: 2.92 KB / Downloads: 2)
Thanks guys - I'll look through the logs to see if I can figure out what caused the failures. I've made a significant number of changes since the last release, especially surrounding the use of SD cards (with significant optimizations that can increase read/write speeds over 80%) and with handling various error scenarios. I will have you guys test again after the next release to see if my changes have fixed what you are currently seeing. I also have the synchronize to backup feature working fairly well, so that will be available for anyone who wants to try it out.

Mike
I was trying to sync my Android tablet with my W10 Desktop (empty DB) again. The database was successfully sent to the connected device.

It seemed to "compare" the first songs successfully (though there was nothing to compare really).

But then I got the message:

Select Song to Use

Multiple songs found witch matching titles but different files. Please select the song on the Client device to use that matches the following ...

There was only the option to cancel that.

Also there was nothing to be done on the client (neither shown not actually to choose since it's an empty db).

So, what's the problem here? Of course I have lots of songs with the same title and different source PDFs. MSP should be checking for the same combination on the client. And if there isn't any (again: empty db) what does it need to compare or select on the client and how?

Something isn't working here.

I think I have the newest versions. You do announce if there's a new upload of a beta version, don't you?

Thanks.
Yes, I will announce when the next version is ready. I'm finishing up the Windows 10 side of things today and then I'll post a notification. The problems you are seeing are resolved in the version I will release.

Mike
I just uploaded version 2.2.3 of the beta (both Android and Windows 10). Changes in this build include:

1) Added the sync to backup file feature. It's only possible to sychronize to backup files on the device itself (not cloud storage)
2) A huge number of bug fixes for handling songs with duplicate titles.
3) Song id's are now synchronized properly between devices. This ensures that future synchronizations correctly detect matching songs without any conflicts.
4) Fixed a large number of issues around SD cards. Read/write access is now significantly faster as I've implemented optimizations around inefficiencies in Google's storage access framework
5) Added additional rotation icons to the song editor and removed the options in the settings dialog. Long pressing the multi-page rotation icons will rotate all files.
6) Added option in the song overlay to rotate pages.

Thanks everyone for your continued help with testing.

Mike
Great. Thanks for the update. I have started a sync right now between my Android Xperia Z4 tablet as server (with a big database) to my W10 desktop as client (with an empty database).

It started promising. The db was sent to the client and the "comparison" started with a tempo between 4 to 8 songs per second.

At about 5 % it got stuck the first time and I got the Android warning (MSP doesn't react), but I told it to wait. The comparison went on, but stuck at 6 % (at a song beginning with "Big") for a few minutes, then it compared a few more songs and got to 7 % and the song "Blue Skies". Right now it has been stuck for 10 minutes and I don 't expect it to go on so I'll end the sync.

Are these maybe memory problems under Android because of my big database?
It's hard to say. How large of a library are we talking about? I easily merged over 1600 songs without issue during my testing. I didn't test with anything larger because I didn't think it would make a difference. I can try redoing the tests with a 4 GB library if you think that's really the issue. 

Mike
I've just tried latest beta (2.2.3). For speed of testing I've removed two large collections from my library, so now it has about 1500 songs. Client was with empty database. I didn't get any popup asking for choosing right files and also any other error message. Sync ended with expected message, so for me this is a big improvement. Client seems to really get all files and db entries (MIDI, cropping, annotations, etc), so it seems like a big improvement of sync. Will try another tests during the weekend to see how it behaves with different settings and will also try merging two different databases. 

Oh, one sidenote: Overall status still seems to ignore file transfers. It just jump (after comparing songs in server/client databases)  to 100% before any file is sent to client so you don't have any clue how long it might take to finish the sync. I don't know how hard is to calculate this (only count files vs. count transfered data ) but IMHO it would be better to have some way to know (estimated) time to finish the sync job.

The problem is that I set up the range of the progress bar at the start of the merge, and I can't know how many files need to be transferred until the end of the merge. The only way I could provide proper progress reporting for that phase of the merge is to reset the progress bar back to 0 (meaning "overall progress" may not be a good description), and then set the number of steps in the progress bar equal to the number of files that need to be sent. Is that preferable to having a phase where the progress bar jumps a fixed amount after the sending completes? I don't want to have two separate progress bars, as for every part of the merge except that one, it creates unnecessary complication and slows down the UI thread by having to frequently update the progress bar position. If you want me to change the status that is output in the bottom window to show something like "Sending file 1 of 140: <file path>" I could certainly do that.

Mike