• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning how to sort huge collection
FWIW, here's how I used the fields:
Genre: like swing, bop, latin, etc ---- and note that a song can be labeled with multiple genres - for example, Just a Closer Walk with Thee can be labeled with both Faith and Dixieland genres.
Collection: what I play with a specific band or group.  When I show up for a band- practice or a gig without a previously-arranged playlist -- I can filter on that band's collection, and only be looking at the group of songs that that band will select from that night.
Setlist: if there is a playlist for night / gig, then I set up a setlist with what we're playing that night, in the specific order in which we're playing it.

In regard to getting music into to program:
I think a batch import from a folder might be more helpful to you than the CSV. To my knowledge, I think the CSV can only import a single PDF with multiple songs (indexed in the CSV file).  I don't recall reading that you can use a CSV to index a bunch of individual PDF.

In the batch import, you set up all the fields you want filled just once up front (genre for example) then MSP will apply those fields to all the songs it gets from that folder.  You can also do folder+subfolders, + I believe you can tell MSP to put the sub-folder name into a specific field.  Definitely worth looking at the manual ... I'd guess 10-15 minutes in the manual might save you hours of coding 2500 songs, even doing it the fast way by editing collections + genres.

Hope it helps.

Messages In This Thread
Planning how to sort huge collection - by Wynton - 06-12-2018, 02:06 AM
RE: Planning how to sort huge collection - by BRX - 06-12-2018, 02:55 AM
RE: Planning how to sort huge collection - by BRX - 06-13-2018, 08:31 AM
RE: Planning how to sort huge collection - by chrisss - 06-14-2018, 04:26 AM