• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backup File Name
Is there a reason that the automatically generated backup file name format changed from YYYY MM DD to MM DD YYYY this past April or May? The earlier version (YYYY MM DD) sorts much more easily by name - it is a much more logical format for managing aged data. Is there a setting for this?

This feature (automating naming, as well as persistent recollection of backup storage path) is very much appreciated by me, by the way.

Serafin
Never noticed that, but I agree with Serafin.
Imho MSP should use the same naming scheme on Android and Win10.
Currently the default names are
MobileSheetsProBackup_02.09.2018.msb on Win10
MobileSheetsPro_2018-09-02.msb on Android.
The Android naming scheme is much better.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

It's controlled by your settings in Windows now. If you don't like the current format, go to "Date & Time" settings in Window 10, and click on the "Change date and time formats" option at the bottom. Change the Short date dropdown to  yyyy-MM-dd. This was requested by users who have different preferences based upon what's normal for their locale.

Mike
(09-03-2018, 08:46 AM)Zuberman Wrote: It's controlled by your settings in Windows now. If you don't like the current format, go to "Date & Time" settings in Window 10, and click on the "Change date and time formats" option at the bottom. Change the Short date dropdown to  yyyy-MM-dd. This was requested by users who have different preferences based upon what's normal for their locale.

Mike

Thanks for the pointer. I suspected that such a scheme might be the case, but did not find any mention of it elsewhere.
I still vote for a unique prefix and prefer MobileSheetsPro_ over MobileSheetsProBackup_

Using the Windows date&time settings here is not my favorite (but I can live with it if I have to).
Changing the Windows date & time settings would mean that everywhere in Explorer and so on the date is shown as yyyy-mm-dd.

Using a date as part of  a filename is not the same as setting a date format to display dates. It's about sorting.
In Explorer and so on it is known that it's a date and it is sorted as expected, no matter what date format is used. yyyy-mm-dd in a file name takes care that sorting alfabetically shows the same result as chronological sorting.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

Changing the name is easy enough (I'd like to hear from several people about their preference on that if possible). Changing the date part is definitely more troublesome.  Adding a new setting just to control whether or not the Windows Date & Time format is used for the prefix of the filename when creating a backup seems overkill to me. If I add a new settings dialog just to control the format of the date, that also seems like overkill. I can't go back to a fixed format, because that doesn't meet the needs of all users. So I need ideas for how to solve this problem without adding additional clunky settings or dialogs. It's easy enough for users to modify the backup file name before creating or to change their windows date & time format if needed, so I'd like to avoid additional complexity over (what seems like) a minor thing.

Thanks,
Mike
I think that dates in filenames should always be yyyymmdd format to make it easy to identify the chronological order when sorted by name.

Not so important perhaps if there is a mechanism to sort by creation date (but in my experience, many users don't realise that they can click the column headers of a displayed directory)

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I agree with Geoff.
And isn't it the simplest way too suggest the filename with the yyyymmdd format
and let the user modify iit if he chooses so?
I'm sure someone will complain, but I'll just change it back to yyyy-MM-dd.

Mike