• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Basic Question about File Locations and Work Flow
My workflow is similar, but with some significant differences.

First, I maintain all my song files on my (Linux) PC. I have several musical 'projects' (like bands and choirs) and I maintain the songs in separate folders on the PC. Simplified:

Music/Band1/Song1/Song1.cho
Music/Band1/Song2/Song2.pdf
Music/Band2/Song1/Song1.jpg
Music/Band2/Song2/Song2.cho

And so on. For every project there is a corresponding folder 'MSPro' that contains the song files to be put on the tablets. In software terminology you could say that I develop the songs in eg. Music/Band1/Song2 and then stage the result Song2.pdf into Music/Band1/MSPro/

Music/Band1/MSPro/Song1.cho
Music/Band1/MSPro/Song2.pdf
Music/Band2/MSPro/Song1.jpg
Music/Band2/MSPro/Song2.cho

Most projects are under version control using git.

Using a decent hierarchical file copy tool, rsync, I copy the staged songs into the MSPro folder on the SDcard of the devices, /storage/XXXXXX/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro/files/Partituren .

MSPro is set to not maintain the song files, and to use the abovementioned folder for storage.

In MSPro, the songs from the individual folders are imported into collections, so I have a separate collection for each project, and songs with identical titles in different projects do not clash. In the future I intend to use a separate database (library) once MSPro supports this.

During rehearsals and gigs songs and collections may be modified in MSPro on the device, mostly annotations. Later I manually apply the relevant changes to the songs on the PC, and copy the updated file to the device. So I never copy song files from the device. Yes, this implies some additional work, but having a central repository with all songs and data pays back.

Unlike Herbert I do not copy the MSPro database between devices but I have designated one of the devices to be master and sync it to a cloud folder (updating folder). I then sync the other devices to the same folder (updating device). This is probably going to change when MSPro starts supporting separate databases.
Johan
johanvromans.nl — hetgeluidvanseptember.nl — mojore.nl -- howsagoin.nl
Samsung Galaxy Note S7FE (T733) 12.4", Android 13.0, AirTurn Duo & Digit (Gigs).
Samsung Galaxy Note S4 (T830) 10.5", Android 10.0 (maintenance and backup).
Samsung A3 (A320FL), Android 8.0.0 (emergency).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Super Basic Question about File Locations and Work Flow - by sciurius - 10-05-2018, 04:49 PM