• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Song and Setlist Notes - Feedback wanted
A user has requested that I change the song notes dialog so that it always defaults to whatever notes are currently present. So if you've enter song notes for a song, but you load the song as part of a setlist, instead of showing the blank setlist notes first like it currently does, it would show the song notes instead.  If you wanted to enter setlist specific notes, you'd then have to change the dropdown to setlist notes. Before making any changes to this behavior I wanted to get feedback from any users using the notes feature.  Is it fine the way it is now or would it be better to default to showing existing song notes first if they are found?

A different possible approach to solving this problem is to change the notes icon to pop up a dropdown menu if the song is loaded as part of a setlist. That dropdown would have "Song Notes" and "Setlist Notes" as options. So it would only require an extra tap instead of having to change the dropdown on the dialog. I'm not sure this is better though as it would make it more tedious to switch between viewing the song and setlist notes.

Thanks,
Mike
Only used Notes once so no experience.

When notes are displayed, could you not provide a button to switch to the other notes (visible only if they exist)? This would make it easier to switch between the two.  

Geoff
Samsung Galaxy Tab A6
I also don't use them [yet]. I did experiment with the song/setlist notes to see how they worked. If I did use them I believe I would recommend using a set of horizontally inline radio buttons in the setlist edit box to allow users to select one or the other or both along with the 'when loading' check box. Making the 'type' setting persistent may be satisfactory also, except for those who have both types for a song. Then you may need a 'both' in the type setting. Personally I would prefer the buttons [that worked instantly].
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
Skip,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "both". A song can have both song and setlist notes. The song notes are shown when the song is loaded by itself. The setlist notes are shown when that song is loaded in the particular setlist you currently have loaded when you edit the notes for the song. The setlist notes provide a mechanism to have different notes for the song in each setlist it is included in. The song notes are shown if no setlist notes are present when the song is loaded though.

If you are suggesting I provide a mechanism to edit both song and setlist notes at the same time, most tablet screens are definitely not large enough for that, and some users paste a large amount of content into the notes. If you are just suggesting a different kind of toggle for song/setlist notes (such as radio buttons or a toggle button) to prevent multiple clicks from being used, I can certainly look into that. The only consideration with that is the available horizontal space, as in some languages like German, the labels are quite long for most things. 

Thanks,
Mike
I was considering displaying both the notes for the song and the notes for the setlist at the same time, if needed. Not editing both note types.

It was to reduce the number of clicks.

What I tried was making a note for the song, load with song and making a setlist note. Then I went to the setlist to see what displayed. I tried selecting 'song' in the setlist but it didn't persist. I thought if the type was selectable, instant, and persistent, it would allow a user to select whichever type was most useful. At the same time it seemed that a song could have both song and setlist notes the user wanted. I hope that makes sense. I didn't think of editing both types in the setlist though.

The idea to stay on 1 line was to conserve space, in English though. I don't speak/write any other language.
Dell Latitude 13.5" 2-in-1 Ubuntu/Win 11
Samsung Note Pro SM-P900 12.2 Android 5.0.2
Samsung S7+, Android 12
I currently use it as part of a set list  (to remind me to change a synth setting resulting from a setting for the prior song in a set list) . 

So, I guess I would not want you to change the program in a way that changed that.  Then the note would show up in a different set list when it was not intended (and would not necessarily be appropriate).

But, it would be nice to have a different option to have a song note that always traveled with the song.  So, if I understand you right, it would be nice to have both options?

"Set list song note":  This would not travel with the song into other set lists.

"Portable Song Note":  This would travel with the song

Just my $.02.

(But maybe too complicated?  If so, the portable option is fine.  I would just change it or delete it for a new set list).

Jeff
So, maybe when you add the note to a particular song, you can check off whether you want it to be portable (travel with the song) or only applied for the current set list or collection (I suppose this could come up in the context of a collection as well).  (I think is is the same as your second option).
I agree with the original suggestion.

Show song notes as default, setlist notes only if the song is used in the specific setlist.
(10-02-2018, 06:53 AM)Skip Wrote: I also don't use them [yet]. I did experiment with the song/setlist notes to see how they worked. If I did use them I believe I would recommend using a set of horizontally inline radio buttons in the setlist edit box to allow users to select one or the other or both along with the 'when loading' check box. Making the 'type' setting persistent may be satisfactory also, except for those who have both types for a song. Then you may need a 'both' in the type setting. Personally I would prefer the buttons [that worked instantly].

I like Skip's idea of buttons in the note box to select which to show at all & whether to auto show when the song is selected. If there is no setlist note, the user can opt to not have the current blank setlist note show such that when user is in the song & sees that there IS a note, pressing the blue note icon would bring up just the song note, no extra taps to get to it.

Thusfar I work with pretty much only song notes. If I have a setlist note, would it appear only when I am using that song in that setlist in which it was created?
I'm not sure it really makes sense to have a selection in that dialog to indicate which notes to use. If you want to use song notes in a setlist, then don't specific setlist notes. If you want to use setlist notes, then enter setlist notes. If you want to show both at the same time, then I can understand wanting to have a selection for that, but I'm not really sure I understand the use case scenario for that. I guess if there are some notes for a song you always want to see, and then some setlist specific notes in addition to those, you'd want them both displayed. I'll have to think about how I want to visualize that on the screen though. Should I just join the two notes together with a couple of line breaks between them? Or should I make the separation more visible?  As far as not auto-showing the notes, that is already the default, and you can select whether or not to show the setlist notes and song notes on that dialog (the settings for each are saved independently). 

daisysunny - yes, that's exactly how setlist notes work. If you load a different setlist with that song in it, you can have completely different setlist notes and settings for those notes.

brx - That's already how it works... I show the song notes as default, setlist notes only if the song is loaded as part of that setlist and if notes have actually been entered. The only question is about editing - if you want to edit song/setlist notes, which one should I show by default? That is what the original user was asking to change. They want song notes to always be the first thing edited, and users would have to switch to setlist notes if they want to edit those.

jeffn1 - That's already how it works. What you call "portable song notes" are song notes that are entered if you load the song by itself. Setlist notes can only be specified for song when you load the setlist and then go to the notes dialog. Those notes are only for that one setlist - you can enter different notes for other setlists.

Thanks all,
Mike
Ah, then I misunderstood. I remember that I had some trouble in the last year with "vanishing songnotes" and it might be that I edited notes when I was in a setlist. For a while I copied the same notes to songnotes and setlistnotes to be sure to have them displayed opening a song.

So I still agree with the original suggestion (as I understand it now) that songnotes should be always the default, also for editing. The setlist notes window should only appear for editing, if you invoke it from within a setlist (button, tab whatever you think) and for showing the notes only then directly if the song is in a setlist (the one the note is for)  as you said it already does.
(10-05-2018, 02:18 AM)Zuberman Wrote: I'm not sure it really makes sense to have a selection in that dialog to indicate which notes to use. If you want to use song notes in a setlist, then don't specific setlist notes. If you want to use setlist notes, then enter setlist notes. If you want to show both at the same time, then I can understand wanting to have a selection for that, but I'm not really sure I understand the use case scenario for that. I guess if there are some notes for a song you always want to see, and then some setlist specific notes in addition to those, you'd want them both displayed. I'll have to think about how I want to visualize that on the screen though. Should I just join the two notes together with a couple of line breaks between them? Or should I make the separation more visible?  As far as not auto-showing the notes, that is already the default, and you can select whether or not to show the setlist notes and song notes on that dialog (the settings for each are saved independently). 

daisysunny - yes, that's exactly how setlist notes work. If you load a different setlist with that song in it, you can have completely different setlist notes and settings for those notes.

brx - That's already how it works... I show the song notes as default, setlist notes only if the song is loaded as part of that setlist and if notes have actually been entered. The only question is about editing - if you want to edit song/setlist notes, which one should I show by default? That is what the original user was asking to change. They want song notes to always be the first thing edited, and users would have to switch to setlist notes if they want to edit those.

jeffn1 - That's already how it works. What you call "portable song notes" are song notes that are entered if you load the song by itself. Setlist notes can only be specified for song when you load the setlist and then go to the notes dialog. Those notes are only for that one setlist - you can enter different notes for other setlists.

Thanks all,
Mike

Sorry, Mike, I wrote without understanding the options already present.  I probably use about 10% of what is available. (I use set list notes, but I didn't even know there was song note option).   Probably the way it is now is fine for me.
Hello Mike,

what I need is the possibility to "create song-list" with and without the song notes in the setlist menu, as an option to share e.g. by email or to print. The reason why is, I made notes (up to 15 lines) for every song to have enough material for the presenter of our concerts.
So my wished solution should look like this:

Concert 01.12.2018 in the Hall

1. Ave Maria

The composer Franz Schubert, which lived from ....
Our soloist is Mr. X...
The content of the song describes ...

2. Stars and stripes forever

J.P. Sousa was a great american composer...
We play this march...
a.s.o.

Best regards from Germany,
Jens
Jens,

I believe you can already accomplish that (if I'm understanding you correctly). Just go to Settings->Library Settings->Generate Song Title Format and you can add SETLIST_NOTES for setlist notes or SONG_NOTES for song notes (or both). You can then long press your setlist on the setlists tab, tap the three dots at the top right and select Generate Song List. You can send the output to the clipboard, a file, an email program, etc. Let me know if that is not what you need. I don't currently support outputting the song number unless it's part of the song title or in a different field such as Custom or Custom2. If you want me to add support for generating that number based upon the song's position in the setlist, that would require an update.

Mike
(10-06-2018, 07:30 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Jens,

I believe you can already accomplish that (if I'm understanding you correctly). Just go to Settings->Library Settings->Generate Song Title Format and you can add SETLIST_NOTES for setlist notes or SONG_NOTES for song notes (or both). You can then long press your setlist on the setlists tab, tap the three dots at the top right and select Generate Song List. You can send the output to the clipboard, a file, an email program, etc. Let me know if that is not what you need. I don't currently support outputting the song number unless it's part of the song title or in a different field such as Custom or Custom2. If you want me to add support for generating that number based upon the song's position in the setlist, that would require an update.

Mike

I've added it in the library settings and now it works like I want. Thanks a lot for this tip.
Generating song numbers based on their position in a setlist would be "nice to have" --> if you have time for it.

Jens