• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chromebook: Cannot import PDFs
I have installed the MobileSheets app on a Chromebook.  The app seems to be fully installed.  When I go to import, I can select the files, either from a local microsd card or from my Google Drive account.  All appears completely as expected as I click the checkboxes beside each file name.  I then click on the OK button at the bottom.

There are no error messages or anything to indicate any problem.  It takes me immediately to the Songs page.  The tab says "Songs(0)" and the page is completely blank.  There are no filters set.  It seems clear that nothing was imported, but I cannot find a way to import ANYTHING.

In settings -> storage, I turned on "Let MobileSheets Manage My Files".  All the other settings are as initially installed.

I need to use a Chromebook because Android tablets are just too small for my old eyes.
I use MobileSheets on a Chromebook notebook because this has a larger screen than any tablet I can afford.
I was able to get this to work, but only after going into the ChromeOS Settings for manage apps, and click the Storage Permissions to "on".

I think when I first installed MobileSheets, MS asked (or maybe ChromeOS asked on behalf of MS) if I wanted MS to manage all my files.  I certainly don't want any app to manage "all my files" so I replied "no".  This might have turned off that setting.

Everything seems to be working as intended now.  Regarding screen real estate, I believe my best option will be to use the half page scrolling.  That does require some extra work to try to get the scroll breaks as desired.  I think a little more flexibility might be helpful here because if I use aggressive autocrop (which is very nice), some of my pages scroll with a great deal of overlap.  I drew in break lines, so I wouldn't lose my bearings when jumping from the top half to the bottom half.  But it would be nicer if I could do some additional cropping/stretching to eliminate the overlap completely.

As a result of using the half page scrolling, I decided to use MS on a somewhat smaller Chromebook (11-1/2" screen) that I keep in my car at all times.  That's a benefit I didn't expect from any of the sheet music apps, so well done.
I use MobileSheets on a Chromebook notebook because this has a larger screen than any tablet I can afford.
Excellent job on figuring that out - the permissions can definitely cause confusion for users, especially as the Android OS can now clear permissions for apps that haven't been used for a while.

Mike
I've seen that before, but I can't remember if it was on the stable channel or the beta channel of ChromeOS. Regardless, it's an OS issue. MobileSheets doesn't have control over what the operating system does with permissions. If the operating system is clearing the permission, MobileSheets has no choice but to request it again. I think I only saw that after rebooting the device though - if you just close and restart the app, the permission was persisted (at least that's what I recall the last time I saw this issue). I can say that with the latest beta channel OS version, I'm not seeing this problem on my Google Pixel Slate, so you can consider switching to the beta channel.

Mike
(01-04-2024, 05:03 AM)Zubersoft Wrote: I've seen that before, but I can't remember if it was on the stable channel or the beta channel of ChromeOS. Regardless, it's an OS issue. MobileSheets doesn't have control over what the operating system does with permissions. If the operating system is clearing the permission, MobileSheets has no choice but to request it again. I think I only saw that after rebooting the device though - if you just close and restart the app, the permission was persisted (at least that's what I recall the last time I saw this issue). I can say that with the latest beta channel OS version, I'm not seeing this problem on my Google Pixel Slate, so you can consider switching to the beta channel.

Mike

Looks like I deleted my question as you were replying.  Yes, the behavior in this case seems to be that the setting is, in fact, persistent in ChromeOS, but MS continues to prompt.  If I ignore the prompt, it seems to work without changing the settings.  And I guess I can check the box in the dialog to tell MS to suppress the dialog in the future.

(The question had to do with MS prompting at each start-up to re-enable the file sharing permissions.)