• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
App hangs when USB MIDI connection changes to "charging only"
Issue: i can't get the MIDI connection to my MIDI device (Line6 Helix) working over USB. 
Well, it actually works for a few seconds, I can control my device (effect selection) through the app (effects get selected depending on the chosen song). But after a few seconds, the "USB configuration" on my tablet changes from MIDI to "charging only", and the app freezes.
When I unplug the USB and plug it back in, it works again, but only for a few seconds, and the cycle repeats.

Confused Huh Confused Huh

Can anyone help?
I'm on a Huawei M5 with Android 8.0.0. I've gone into the developer settings, selected MIDI as UB-config, activated USB debugging, but to no avail.
Do you have another cable you can try testing with? Charging only requires a few pins on the USB connector, but establishing a MIDI connection requires more. It sounds to me like the tablet is having problems maintaining the USB connection for MIDI, which points to an issue with the cable or the connector on the device itself. This is just a guess based upon your description though. 

Mike
(10-28-2018, 02:44 AM)Zuberman Wrote: Do you have another cable you can try testing with? Charging only requires a few pins on the USB connector, but establishing a MIDI connection requires more. It sounds to me like the tablet is having problems maintaining the USB connection for MIDI, which points to an issue with the cable or the connector on the device itself. This is just a guess based upon your description though. 

Mike

Tried another cable, same thing happens. Maybe it's the USB-C to USB-A adapter, but I have only one of those.
Using a USB-C to USB-A adapter definitely concerns me. I've never tested with one of those. Where did you order it from? I know that simple things like using a USB extension cable can cause the USB connection to fail. Has anyone else used a USB-C to USB-A adapter and had success? 

Mike
I've got a new cable wthout adapter, straight from USB-C to USB-B. Same thing happens: the USB configuration changes to "reverse charging" and the application hangs.

It happens when I connect any MIDI device, any cable. Also, it happens when I'm not using MSPro. So I'm guessing it has something to do with Android?

But since everyone here, is using Android, why doesn't anyone else have problems? Any help on how to set this up?
Update: Still no progress. In fact, I've tested Bandhelper, which also didn't work (that didn't crash at least, there were just no midi messages being sent or received). But as a last resort, I've tested an old USB-MIDI interface. That works! But only on Bandhelper. If I use that interface with MSPro, it still shows the same effect: it freezes the app.
I'm going to be working on a new MIDI interface after the next update is released. The new MIDI interface will leverage Google's MIDI code for devices running Android 6.0 or higher. The new interface will not automatically connect to devices though, so you'll have to manually connect to the device through the settings (a new entry will be created for this like the Windows 10 version). Once a device is connected to, I should hopefully be able to save that information and automatically connect when MobileSheetsPro is started in the future. There are some details I will have to figure out.  I'm hoping the new MIDI interface will work better than the one I'm currently using. I may also consider changing the current MIDI implementation for devices running Android versions below 6.0 to provide better performance. 

Mike