• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
half-page turn for only certain pages in a song?
greetings!

i guess there's no way to tell MobileSheetsPRO to use half-page turns for only certain pages in a song? ...seems it's only switchable on a per-song basis...

any ideas?
That is correct, it's all or nothing. We can discuss possible enhancements for the future, but having to configure half page turns on a page by page basis seems like something most users would never need. Perhaps you can explain the scenario where that is necessary.

Thanks,
Mike
interesting... in my context, this ONLY makes sense on a per-page basis!  Smile

i'm playing various types of jazz and chamber music. a lot of times, parts are laid out with well-designed page turns (for folks using paper) -- in that case, half-page turns are unnecessary, and actually make things cumbersome. but if a part is not optimally prepared, there may be some pages here and there which don't have good page-turning time. i want to be able to half-turn those pages (ideally with an adjustable split-point, to choose a place where there's a rest or held note mid-page). but if it means that i also have to half-turn a bunch of pages which do have breaks for turning, then that doubles the amount of attention i have to give to page-turning during performance. that's cumbersome and can be downright hazardous in complex scores.

i've just migrated from MusicReader 4 -- it was the only app i could run on my trusty old 1st-gen iPad!  Tongue  ...on my new android tablet, MobileSheetsPRO is providing a far superior experience in many, many ways. i was surprised that this feature, which i'm used to from MusicReader 4, is absent.  Sad

thanks both for your great app, and for your responsiveness!

cheers!
Well you can achieve what you are describing without using the half page turn feature. Just edit the song, go to the Files tab, tap the page order field, duplicate the pages you want to split into halves, and then crop each instance of that page differently so that the first instance is the first half and the second instance is the second half. That would allow you to use normal page turning throughout the entire song. 

I rarely receive requests for the ability to have half page turns for only certain pages in a song. How did MusicReader implement it?  I'd have to really think about how I'd want to implement support for this, as I don't want it to negatively impact any of the default behavior as this doesn't seem to be needed by most users (or they aren't telling me that it would be useful for them).

Thanks,
Mike
aha... that's an interesting workaround; thanks for that! the ability to designate arbitrary page orders, including duplicate pages, is new to me (wasn't in MusicReader 4) -- it's an extremely valuable feature for dealing with big repeats, D.S.'s, etc, but i hadn't thought of it for this sort of issue.

MusicReader 4 has a per-page setup screen, where you set up cropping and page turning for each page. here's a link to the docs, if you're interested: http://kb.musicreader.net/article.php?id=59

anyways, i'll play with your suggestion... seems like it should work fine. i'm also going to investigate all the options for both screen touch and pedal actions; there's a lot of really deep capability there which might provide some applicable techniques.

thanks again... cheers!
.pltk.
Anyway, I've suggested some time ago a scroll/page turn function which works with scroll/turnmarks the user can set manually, so one could turn/scroll less or more than a full or a half page. 
Similar to the link points but with the effect that the pageturn/scroll brings the spot with the next mark to the top of the page.

You could mix half and full page turns with this  as well (and that's why I'm mentioning it here). But also it's a way to organize the page turning to convenient spots (e.g. a pause) and/or display parts of the music
together after a turn which would be separated through a normal page turn (especially with continuous scrolling).

Is this on your todolist, Mike?
(01-12-2019, 03:17 PM)Zuberman Wrote: Well you can achieve what you are describing without using the half page turn feature. Just edit the song, go to the Files tab, tap the page order field, duplicate the pages you want to split into halves, and then crop each instance of that page differently so that the first instance is the first half and the second instance is the second half. That would allow you to use normal page turning throughout the entire song.

ok, this works great! one small note of clarification, in case anyone else is looking at this: we need to be in vertical scrolling display mode (to make the bottom half of one page AND the top half of the next page visible simultaneously), and i've set the scroll speed to "immediate", so a page turn just goes right to my defined half pages.

cool! Smile
It is on the list of things to look into, but the priority is low and I will not be looking into it until after things like the annotations rework and song versioning are finished. The reason is that it will involve a considerable number of changes across many parts of the app, so it will take a lot of time to implement. Unless I got a huge number of requests for it, I can't justify working on something that involved before finishing other highly requested features.

Mike