• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobilesheets freeze a few seconds before opening setlist
hello there!
I recently bought a new tablet, specifically a huawei mediapad on which I use mobilesheets pro. In the app I have a lot of setlists, some of a few thousand pages. Almost always, when I open a setlist, the first song I go to select takes a few seconds to open, and the app freezes. If the setlist is very large, this waiting can be even more than 10 seconds.
From the second song, the opening is fast. This behavior repeats itself if I change setlist (only when the first song is opened).
Is it a normal behavior?
thank you in advance for your help, hope to solve this problem
Emiliano
Hello Emiliano,

That is definitely not normal behavior. If you want to send me a PDF you know is loading slowly (mike@zubersoft.com) I can test it out on several tablets to see if that is the root cause. Otherwise you could try uninstalling/reinstalling the app (back up your library first under Settings->Backup and Restore->Backup Library if you want to be able to restore it after) to see if it's an installation issue. If you want to send me your backup file, I can also investigate whether or not the issue has something to do with the database.

Thanks,
Mike
Hello Mike,
thanks for the fast answer.
I think I should not send you a single pdf because if I open a single song the opening is quick. To reproduce the behaviour I should send you an entire list, is there a way to do it without sending the whole backup? consider that the data folder is about 6GB so I can't create a backup from the app because it triggers a file size write error, I should zip the folder manually

thanks
Emiliano
Emiliano,

Long press the setlist on the Setlists tab and then tap Share->Export songs and files.  You can then send me the .msf file and I can test with it. At some point I'm going to find the time to split back up files into multiple parts when they exceed 4GB in size...

Thanks,
Mike
hi Mike, I just sent you a pm with the file 
thanks again 
Emiliano
Emiliano,

Your setlist loaded instantly on several tablets that I tested it on, so we can rule out problems with the PDFs. Without a way to reproduce the problem, I can't really say what the issue might be on your tablet. What I usually recommend is for users to back up their library, uninstall, then reinstall to fix any potential installation issues, but that may be difficult with the size of your library. You would need to use the companion application (https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/companion.html) in order to create the backup. What exact model is that tablet and what OS version is it running? I tested on two devices with ARM v7 processors, but if your device is using an x86 processor, I can test on that as well if needed to rule out CPU specific issues.

Thanks,
MIke
Mike,

it's a Huawei Mediapad M5 Pro CMR-AL19, with 4GB ram, 64GB, Android 8.0.0

thanks
Emiliano
Hi Mike,
an update on what I did:

- updated android 8 to the last release for the tablet
- backupped the library with companion -> uninistalled and reinstalled MSheets -> restored the library

despite this the setlists are still open with a big delay. I also tried to move the library from the internal memory and viceversa, no joy
please check this video https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkIPb-PbkgIygr4ug-v9qC8YXwqH9Q, as you can see the delay is only on the very first song of the list  that I open (22 seconds), from the second one there's no delay, and it happens again if I change setlist

do you have any suggestion on what I could try?
thanks again
Emiliano

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AkIPb-PbkgIygr4ug-v9qC8YXwqH9Q
That certainly points to some kind of significant slow down while reading the song fields from the database (as that's the only thing that is occurs when you load the setlist for the first time). If you load any fo the songs in the setlist after that, it won't need to hit the database again, which is why it loads instantly. There's a few things we can try:

1) Go to Settings->Storage and enable Expose Database. You can then send me mobilesheets.db under /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro/files (or your internal storage directory if you changed the default) and I will see if I can reproduce any of the slowdown while loading the setlist using that.

2) You can start removing the songs from the setlist, one by one, and loading the setlist to see if we can find one problematic song. If the load time decreases linearly with each song you remove, then there is definitely an issue with slowdown that occurs equally for every song that is getting initialized. I should note that in order to test this, you would have to force close the application after each time you load the setlist so that MobileSheetsPro is forced to read the database again. I wish I could help with this testing as I know it will be very tedious

3) In the video you are loading the setlist Adagio, whereas the setlist you sent me for testing is Classe 3. I'm assuming they both have the same exact issue with the delay after loading, right? That actually points to a performance problem loading any song in the library that just gets progressively worse with the number of songs in the setlist. 

If we can't pinpoint any particular problem, the next step is a little tedious, but I would need to insert some diagnostic code to output the time various initialization steps are taking while loading the setlist. Then we could pinpoint the exact cause of the slowdown and I could start working toward a solution. I hate to burden you with this, but if you would like to help with this, I'll put together a build and email the link to you.

Mike
Quote:1) Go to Settings->Storage and enable Expose Database. You can then send me mobilesheets.db under /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.zubersoft.mobilesheetspro/files (or your internal storage directory if you changed the default) and I will see if I can reproduce any of the slowdown while loading the setlist using that.
ok email sent

2) You can start removing the songs from the setlist, one by one, and loading the setlist to see if we can find one problematic song. If the load time decreases linearly with each song you remove, then there is definitely an issue with slowdown that occurs equally for every song that is getting initialized. I should note that in order to test this, you would have to force close the application after each time you load the setlist so that MobileSheetsPro is forced to read the database again. I wish I could help with this testing as I know it will be very tedious

Quote:3) In the video you are loading the setlist Adagio, whereas the setlist you sent me for testing is Classe 3. I'm assuming they both have the same exact issue with the delay after loading, right? That actually points to a performance problem loading any song in the library that just gets progressively worse with the number of songs in the setlist. 
yes the issue is the same with all the list I have, and the delay is longer with the lists with more songs. If a setlist have few songs, the opening is almost instantaneous

Quote:If we can't pinpoint any particular problem, the next step is a little tedious, but I would need to insert some diagnostic code to output the time various initialization steps are taking while loading the setlist. Then we could pinpoint the exact cause of the slowdown and I could start working toward a solution. I hate to burden you with this, but if you would like to help with this, I'll put together a build and email the link to you.
this would not be a problem for me, if it helps to solve the problem!

thanks
Emiliano
Just sent you a PM with a link to the test version. Hopefully we can identify which part of the database is being slow. If every part of the reading is equally slow, then it's a SQLite issue on that device which is going to be a very difficult thing to fix, as I'm not doing anything special with SQLite so I don't know why it would be acting differently on your device. I could try updating the SQLite version to see if that makes a difference, otherwise I'm not really sure what to do.

Mike