• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comma as Separator for CSV Import
MSP Android allows CSV import not only using CSV files with semicolon as separators. Also comma or tab are working fine.
MSP for Win10 accepts only semicolon. CSVs with comma or tab as separator lead to the error message "All columns specified in the CSV are invalid".
MSP should work identically on Win10 and on Android.
ForScore accepts only CSV files with comma as separator. If MSP would accept comma the same CSV files could be used.

In case commas are used within a field text, the text has to be included in double quotes. LibreOffice Calc automatically adds the required quotes during export.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I've fixed the Windows 10 version to work the same way as Android. There were just some changes I forgot to copy over.

Thanks,
Mike
Thanks Maike. Your service is awesome.
first language: German
Acer A1-830, Android 4.4.2 - HP x2 210 G2 Detachable, Win 10 22H2 - Huawei Media Pad T5, Android 8.0 - Boox Tab Ultra C, Android 11
www.moonlightcrisis.de - www.basdjo.de - www.frankenbaend.de

I'm new to MSP.  I'm been using Unreal book on the Ipad and I have CSV files created for all of my fake books.  I'm getting the "All columns specified in the CSV are invalid" error.  Is there any way to remedy? A lot of time has been spent on these CSV files.  Thank you for any guidance
Hello Cory,

Unfortunately, MobileSheetsPro uses a different format for its CSV files than Unrealbook, so you will have to make some slight adjustments for those files to work in MobileSheetsPro. The first line of the CSV needs to indicate the ordering of the columns of data and which field in MobileSheetsPro should be populated. So if you take an unrealbook CSV such as:

ACTUAL PROOF               ,The New Real Book Eb III.pdf,8
THE AERIE                  ,The New Real Book Eb III.pdf,9
AIN'T THAT PECULIAR        ,The New Real Book Eb III.pdf,11

You would need to add the following line at the top for MobileSheetsPro:

title;collection;pages
ACTUAL PROOF               ;The New Real Book Eb III.pdf;8
THE AERIE                  ;The New Real Book Eb III.pdf;9
AIN'T THAT PECULIAR        ;The New Real Book Eb III.pdf;11

In this instance, I'm putting the file name in the "collections" field which will group all of the songs that are created into one collection. You have to have a valid field listed for each column, and at the moment you can't list different files for different pages in a CSV file. The CSV file name must match the name of the PDF in the same directory. So you can put the filename into whatever field you want (you could use something like "years" if you don't need that field), and easily clean that up after the import if desired.

Let me know if you have questions about this. One thing I could do for a future update is if I don't see the column names in the first line, I can assume that the first entry is title, all text entries after that are ignored, and any numeric entry is the page. That would allow compatibility with indices from unrealbook.

Mike
I just noticed that commas were used as the delimiter in the example above - MobileSheetsPro expects a semi-colon to be used as the delimiter (so that commas can be used in column values if needed). So at the very least, you'll need to do a "find/replace all" of "," for ";" in your CSV files before importing. That shouldn't take long and an editor like NotePad++ can do this on every file in a directory. 

As part of trying to support unrealbook CSVs, if I don't find column names and I also don't find semi-colons, I'll switch the delimiter to commas.

Mike
I just verified that I correctly handle unrealbook csv files now, so that will be available in the next update. If you purchased off Google Play and would like a build with these changes, email me at mike@zubersoft.com and let me know which email address you used to purchase MobileSheetsPro.

Mike
(02-23-2019, 01:38 PM)Zubersoft Wrote: I just verified that I correctly handle unrealbook csv files now, so that will be available in the next update. If you purchased off Google Play and would like a build with these changes, email me at mike@zubersoft.com and let me know which email address you used to purchase MobileSheetsPro.

Mike
My MSP android from Google Play will not recognize the "Title" column header and chokes at that point in attempting to read the CSV file. Any idea why that would be?

Joe
As mentioned in the other thread, it needs to be all lowercase, so "title" instead of "Title".

Mike